EvolutionM - Mitsubishi Lancer and Lancer Evolution Community

EvolutionM - Mitsubishi Lancer and Lancer Evolution Community (https://www.evolutionm.net/forums/)
-   Evo General (https://www.evolutionm.net/forums/evo-general-11/)
-   -   Want the a Buscher/AMS upper ic pipe but not the mini battery! (https://www.evolutionm.net/forums/evo-general/288371-want-buscher-ams-upper-ic-pipe-but-not-mini-battery.html)

fitbikedominick Aug 8, 2007 11:27 PM

Want the a Buscher/AMS upper ic pipe but not the mini battery!

So after a lot of measuring and thinking today I came up with what I think is an awesome idea. I fit a 93 Honda Civic battery into my evo 9 with buschur's upper intercooler pipe and intake pipe. The stock battery tray is graphite so I scored it with a razor blade a few times the broke off the "plastic" that didn’t need to be there. This allowed me to fit the civic battery sideways in the stock tray the same way a mini battery would sit. Then I bent the bottom of the stock battery rods to a 90 degree angle and drilled holes for long bolts to sit in. Then using a piece of inch and a half wide aluminum (.100 thickness) I made a tie down that also has a tab that sits about and inch and a half lower on the battery. I did that to secure my boost controller to the tab so the vacuum lines would make new larger gap and not be stretched to allow for engine movement. The next step was to modify the ground wire so it would reach. The ground comes out of the harness and has a 1/2 inch section that is stripped and attached to the side of the engine bay then jumps to the battery. I cut the jump from the side to the battery and installed a separate ground from the battery to an existing ground in front of the fuse box.

To make a long story short I can treat my car like it has a normal battery and won’t have to worry about the winters in Green bay messing with my battery.

I want to see what you guys think and if enough people are interested in doing the civic battery swap ill post a real how to with lots of pictures.

zsevo Aug 9, 2007 08:31 AM

I had a similar idea but after thinking about it I think im going to just do the extra wiring and make a bracket for a trunk relocation to keep the stock battery

awr Aug 9, 2007 08:56 AM

please post pics

travman Aug 9, 2007 08:58 AM

well lets see some pics....I heard of someone else doing this once and I was going to try it myself because I had a crx and it had a 92-95 civic battery in it but I never got around to trying it or seeing what it would look like and sold the car.

I was going to make my own mini-battery kit and was working on getting it all layed out but wouldnt mind seeing how your setup turned out. If its clean and stock looking this could be a nice solution and i can just start making my hard pipe kit sooner.....

dudical26 Aug 9, 2007 09:02 AM

There is really nothing to worry about when using a mini battery.

I have been using a battery that is sold as a backup battery for in house alarms.

It was cheap and light so I got it.

I have been using it for 1.5 years and I spend my winters north of Albany NY, so its very cold and plenty of negative degree days. I have never had a problem starting the car even after it sits for a week or more without being started.

fitbikedominick Aug 9, 2007 11:08 AM

Maybe ill eventually pop for a mini battery kit then. Thouse little batterys scare me even though plenty of people are runing them problem free. My evo is my only car and i would hate to be stranded on a really cold day.

fitbikedominick Aug 9, 2007 11:11 AM

im going to snap a few pictures right now

silverevo05 Jan 14, 2012 08:36 PM

I thought you were going to snap pics of the honda battery NOW......back in 2007. :lol:

I want to know how to do this. Tooooooo many mini batteries dying everywhere {thumbdwn}

silverevo05 Jan 16, 2012 09:53 AM

^ bump for info

JonahEVO Jan 16, 2012 09:57 AM

Just relocate the stock battery to the trunk.

silverevo05 Jan 16, 2012 10:20 AM

I know that what everyone says but I'd like to keep it sort of stock looking here in cali plus I dont want to route wires to the back, buy the case, drill new holes, etc etc

I just think the Miata/honda battery route is a much better option though the miata is harder to find. I also dont want the problems associated with mini batteries. Plus Honda batteries are EASY to find, more so than miata ones