Notices
Evo General Discuss any generalized technical Evo related topics that may not fit into the other forums. Please do not post tech and rumor threads here.
Sponsored by: RavSpec - JDM Wheels Central

Want the a Buscher/AMS upper ic pipe but not the mini battery!

Search this Thread

Old Aug 8, 2007, 11:27 PM
Evolving Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Want the a Buscher/AMS upper ic pipe but not the mini battery!

So after a lot of measuring and thinking today I came up with what I think is an awesome idea. I fit a 93 Honda Civic battery into my evo 9 with buschur's upper intercooler pipe and intake pipe. The stock battery tray is graphite so I scored it with a razor blade a few times the broke off the "plastic" that didn’t need to be there. This allowed me to fit the civic battery sideways in the stock tray the same way a mini battery would sit. Then I bent the bottom of the stock battery rods to a 90 degree angle and drilled holes for long bolts to sit in. Then using a piece of inch and a half wide aluminum (.100 thickness) I made a tie down that also has a tab that sits about and inch and a half lower on the battery. I did that to secure my boost controller to the tab so the vacuum lines would make new larger gap and not be stretched to allow for engine movement. The next step was to modify the ground wire so it would reach. The ground comes out of the harness and has a 1/2 inch section that is stripped and attached to the side of the engine bay then jumps to the battery. I cut the jump from the side to the battery and installed a separate ground from the battery to an existing ground in front of the fuse box.

To make a long story short I can treat my car like it has a normal battery and won’t have to worry about the winters in Green bay messing with my battery.

I want to see what you guys think and if enough people are interested in doing the civic battery swap ill post a real how to with lots of pictures.
Old Aug 9, 2007, 08:31 AM
Evolving Member

I had a similar idea but after thinking about it I think im going to just do the extra wiring and make a bracket for a trunk relocation to keep the stock battery
Old Aug 9, 2007, 08:56 AM
awr
Evolving Member

please post pics
Old Aug 9, 2007, 08:58 AM
Evolved Member

well lets see some pics....I heard of someone else doing this once and I was going to try it myself because I had a crx and it had a 92-95 civic battery in it but I never got around to trying it or seeing what it would look like and sold the car.

I was going to make my own mini-battery kit and was working on getting it all layed out but wouldnt mind seeing how your setup turned out. If its clean and stock looking this could be a nice solution and i can just start making my hard pipe kit sooner.....
Old Aug 9, 2007, 09:02 AM
Evolved Member

There is really nothing to worry about when using a mini battery.

I have been using a battery that is sold as a backup battery for in house alarms.

It was cheap and light so I got it.

I have been using it for 1.5 years and I spend my winters north of Albany NY, so its very cold and plenty of negative degree days. I have never had a problem starting the car even after it sits for a week or more without being started.
Old Aug 9, 2007, 11:08 AM
Evolving Member

Maybe ill eventually pop for a mini battery kit then. Thouse little batterys scare me even though plenty of people are runing them problem free. My evo is my only car and i would hate to be stranded on a really cold day.
Old Aug 9, 2007, 11:11 AM
Evolving Member

im going to snap a few pictures right now
Old Jan 14, 2012, 08:36 PM
Evolved Member

Received 9 Likes on 6 Posts
I thought you were going to snap pics of the honda battery NOW......back in 2007.

I want to know how to do this. Tooooooo many mini batteries dying everywhere
Old Jan 16, 2012, 09:53 AM
Evolved Member

^ bump for info
Old Jan 16, 2012, 09:57 AM
Evolving Member

Just relocate the stock battery to the trunk.
Old Jan 16, 2012, 10:20 AM
Evolved Member

I know that what everyone says but I'd like to keep it sort of stock looking here in cali plus I dont want to route wires to the back, buy the case, drill new holes, etc etc

I just think the Miata/honda battery route is a much better option though the miata is harder to find. I also dont want the problems associated with mini batteries. Plus Honda batteries are EASY to find, more so than miata ones