EvolutionM - Mitsubishi Lancer and Lancer Evolution Community

EvolutionM - Mitsubishi Lancer and Lancer Evolution Community (https://www.evolutionm.net/forums/)
-   Evo General (https://www.evolutionm.net/forums/evo-general-11/)
-   -   I broke some plastic near the steering wheel, any idea what part this is? (https://www.evolutionm.net/forums/evo-general/312575-i-broke-some-plastic-near-steering-wheel-any-idea-what-part.html)

pheral Dec 10, 2007 08:22 PM

I broke some plastic near the steering wheel, any idea what part this is?

So I broke a piece of white plastic near the steering wheel when putting the lower portion of the steering wheel column cover on last night. I always seem to run into something fun like this no matter how easy the install :lol: At least I'm spending time with her, right? Anyhow, I have come up with this amusing drawing to (attempt to) convey what piece I am referring to.
http://www.pheral.net/HELLCHIME.jpg
Figure 1 gives us a good indication of the area I am referring to. The "Hell box" is a small plastic white box. Inside of the Hell Box I was surprised by a little toy (See figure 2.1). This piece of white plastic with a metal strip on it apparently is held in my another white plastic cover (Figure 2.2). The white plastic cover has(Read: HAD) 4 points where it seemed to snap onto the Hell Box and hold the little metal holder in place. These pieces have forsaken me and shattered all over my floorboard.

As to what it does, it seems to have something to do with the key being in the ignition. Any time a door is open now, there is a constant chime going off. If I reach under the steering column and push the metal holder back into the hell box somewhat, the chime stops. My keyless entry also does not work while this chime goes off.

Any help would be appreciated. I'd like to get a part number if possible for the Hell Box Cover, or if I have to buy the entire Hell box, that's fine too. I just would like to know what I am supposed to ask for. Hope you guys at least get some laughs from the highly technical diagram :) :beer:

ZLevo8 Dec 10, 2007 08:29 PM

its over man your evo is gonna explode lol. well sadly i cant help but i can sympathise i took out a gauge outline insert thingy and dropped a screw into the box and its a biiiiiiiatch gettin it out!

RalliArtEvoVIII Dec 11, 2007 07:22 AM

hahahahaahaha love the pics

BlackOps Dec 11, 2007 09:42 AM

I bought my Evo used and took off the steering colum cover one day looking to fix some problems with the lights and I noticed as I was pushing the screw driver up into the hole on the right underside that it would start chiming. When I got the cover off, the white box you are having issues with had electrical tape wrapped around it to hold the side from flopping off, apparently they broke the same exact piece. The electrical tape seems to be working for the moment, maybe you might want to give that a try...lol.

belizelittle39439 Dec 11, 2007 09:47 AM

Dude...awesome picture.

Just take that to the dealer, I'm sure they'll be able to figure it out! haha.

CrackerJackToy Dec 11, 2007 10:24 AM

Post pictures next time LOL - I'd go to the dealer & have them give you a part #, then come back here & ask a vendor how cheap they will go for ya. ;)

rcheung Dec 11, 2007 10:44 AM

Ahh , the good old key sense switch. If you were close to me I'd help you out because I had the same exact problem . It is the most fragile switch I've ever seen and is one of the most important ones in the car. Unfortunately you can't replace just that part but need to replace the whole ignition box which includes that little switch. If that switch is jumpered the car thinks the key is out. When the switch is open , the car thinks the key is in. I just got rid of the whole switch altogether and fabricated a device to always keep the 2 wires jumpered. I used 2 females spade connectors crimped onto a 1 inch piece of wire and left the two ends of wires that used to go to the switch permanantly connected. That way, not only will the annoying beeping go away but your Key Fob lock/unlock switch will magically work again. The only thing is if you leave on your lights and remove the key, it wont beep letting you know they're still on. I have left the lights on a couple of occasions and walked away from the car but they automatically turn off when my turbo timer goes off so it works for me.

awd_ftw Dec 11, 2007 12:52 PM

lmao , i think you need to redraw that diagram on an etch a sketch, then i can help you

backcountryGSX Dec 11, 2007 01:05 PM

hahahaha that drawing is epic

StealthaPsYcHo Dec 11, 2007 01:12 PM

Lol what the hell ever happened to just taking pictures?

I-Dom-In-8 Dec 11, 2007 06:25 PM

LMFAO....awesome thread...sorry i cant help...

LoCo4 Dec 11, 2007 06:27 PM

The pics are AWESOME!:lol:

pheral Dec 11, 2007 06:44 PM

Originally Posted by rcheung (Post 5044179)
Ahh , the good old key sense switch. If you were close to me I'd help you out because I had the same exact problem . It is the most fragile switch I've ever seen and is one of the most important ones in the car. Unfortunately you can't replace just that part but need to replace the whole ignition box which includes that little switch. If that switch is jumpered the car thinks the key is out. When the switch is open , the car thinks the key is in. I just got rid of the whole switch altogether and fabricated a device to always keep the 2 wires jumpered. I used 2 females spade connectors crimped onto a 1 inch piece of wire and left the two ends of wires that used to go to the switch permanantly connected. That way, not only will the annoying beeping go away but your Key Fob lock/unlock switch will magically work again. The only thing is if you leave on your lights and remove the key, it wont beep letting you know they're still on. I have left the lights on a couple of occasions and walked away from the car but they automatically turn off when my turbo timer goes off so it works for me.

Thanks! I'm glad someone else has gone through all this fun. I'll keep your idea in mind. I did, however, order the entire assembly. We'll see how that fun goes. Likely, I will do what you did and just keep it always connected. I can't really thing of any drawback to that other than not getting a chime when the key is in and i open the door. So much hassle to go through for fixing something that was supposed to idiot-proof the car :lol:

Thanks for your help {thumbup}

pheral Dec 11, 2007 06:45 PM

Originally Posted by BlackOps (Post 5043959)
I bought my Evo used and took off the steering colum cover one day looking to fix some problems with the lights and I noticed as I was pushing the screw driver up into the hole on the right underside that it would start chiming. When I got the cover off, the white box you are having issues with had electrical tape wrapped around it to hold the side from flopping off, apparently they broke the same exact piece. The electrical tape seems to be working for the moment, maybe you might want to give that a try...lol.

NICE! This makes me want to post a how-to if I do end up actually fixing it with the parts :P

pheral Dec 11, 2007 06:46 PM

Glad everyone enjoyed my highly-technical CAD diagram.