Notices
Evo General Discuss any generalized technical Evo related topics that may not fit into the other forums. Please do not post tech and rumor threads here.
Sponsored by: RavSpec - JDM Wheels Central

I broke some plastic near the steering wheel, any idea what part this is?

Search this Thread

Old Dec 10, 2007, 08:22 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I broke some plastic near the steering wheel, any idea what part this is?

So I broke a piece of white plastic near the steering wheel when putting the lower portion of the steering wheel column cover on last night. I always seem to run into something fun like this no matter how easy the install At least I'm spending time with her, right? Anyhow, I have come up with this amusing drawing to (attempt to) convey what piece I am referring to.

Figure 1 gives us a good indication of the area I am referring to. The "Hell box" is a small plastic white box. Inside of the Hell Box I was surprised by a little toy (See figure 2.1). This piece of white plastic with a metal strip on it apparently is held in my another white plastic cover (Figure 2.2). The white plastic cover has(Read: HAD) 4 points where it seemed to snap onto the Hell Box and hold the little metal holder in place. These pieces have forsaken me and shattered all over my floorboard.

As to what it does, it seems to have something to do with the key being in the ignition. Any time a door is open now, there is a constant chime going off. If I reach under the steering column and push the metal holder back into the hell box somewhat, the chime stops. My keyless entry also does not work while this chime goes off.

Any help would be appreciated. I'd like to get a part number if possible for the Hell Box Cover, or if I have to buy the entire Hell box, that's fine too. I just would like to know what I am supposed to ask for. Hope you guys at least get some laughs from the highly technical diagram
Old Dec 10, 2007, 08:29 PM

its over man your evo is gonna explode lol. well sadly i cant help but i can sympathise i took out a gauge outline insert thingy and dropped a screw into the box and its a biiiiiiiatch gettin it out!
Old Dec 11, 2007, 07:22 AM
Evolved Member

hahahahaahaha love the pics
Old Dec 11, 2007, 09:42 AM

I bought my Evo used and took off the steering colum cover one day looking to fix some problems with the lights and I noticed as I was pushing the screw driver up into the hole on the right underside that it would start chiming. When I got the cover off, the white box you are having issues with had electrical tape wrapped around it to hold the side from flopping off, apparently they broke the same exact piece. The electrical tape seems to be working for the moment, maybe you might want to give that a try...lol.
Old Dec 11, 2007, 09:47 AM
Evolved Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Dude...awesome picture.

Just take that to the dealer, I'm sure they'll be able to figure it out! haha.
Old Dec 11, 2007, 10:24 AM
Evolved Member

Post pictures next time LOL - I'd go to the dealer & have them give you a part #, then come back here & ask a vendor how cheap they will go for ya.
Old Dec 11, 2007, 10:44 AM
Evolved Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Ahh , the good old key sense switch. If you were close to me I'd help you out because I had the same exact problem . It is the most fragile switch I've ever seen and is one of the most important ones in the car. Unfortunately you can't replace just that part but need to replace the whole ignition box which includes that little switch. If that switch is jumpered the car thinks the key is out. When the switch is open , the car thinks the key is in. I just got rid of the whole switch altogether and fabricated a device to always keep the 2 wires jumpered. I used 2 females spade connectors crimped onto a 1 inch piece of wire and left the two ends of wires that used to go to the switch permanantly connected. That way, not only will the annoying beeping go away but your Key Fob lock/unlock switch will magically work again. The only thing is if you leave on your lights and remove the key, it wont beep letting you know they're still on. I have left the lights on a couple of occasions and walked away from the car but they automatically turn off when my turbo timer goes off so it works for me.
Old Dec 11, 2007, 12:52 PM
Evolving Member

lmao , i think you need to redraw that diagram on an etch a sketch, then i can help you
Old Dec 11, 2007, 01:05 PM
Evolving Member

hahahaha that drawing is epic
Old Dec 11, 2007, 01:12 PM
Evolving Member

Lol what the hell ever happened to just taking pictures?
Old Dec 11, 2007, 06:25 PM
Evolved Member

LMFAO....awesome thread...sorry i cant help...
Old Dec 11, 2007, 06:27 PM
Evolved Member

The pics are AWESOME!
Old Dec 11, 2007, 06:44 PM

Originally Posted by rcheung
Ahh , the good old key sense switch. If you were close to me I'd help you out because I had the same exact problem . It is the most fragile switch I've ever seen and is one of the most important ones in the car. Unfortunately you can't replace just that part but need to replace the whole ignition box which includes that little switch. If that switch is jumpered the car thinks the key is out. When the switch is open , the car thinks the key is in. I just got rid of the whole switch altogether and fabricated a device to always keep the 2 wires jumpered. I used 2 females spade connectors crimped onto a 1 inch piece of wire and left the two ends of wires that used to go to the switch permanantly connected. That way, not only will the annoying beeping go away but your Key Fob lock/unlock switch will magically work again. The only thing is if you leave on your lights and remove the key, it wont beep letting you know they're still on. I have left the lights on a couple of occasions and walked away from the car but they automatically turn off when my turbo timer goes off so it works for me.
Thanks! I'm glad someone else has gone through all this fun. I'll keep your idea in mind. I did, however, order the entire assembly. We'll see how that fun goes. Likely, I will do what you did and just keep it always connected. I can't really thing of any drawback to that other than not getting a chime when the key is in and i open the door. So much hassle to go through for fixing something that was supposed to idiot-proof the car

Thanks for your help
Old Dec 11, 2007, 06:45 PM

Originally Posted by BlackOps
I bought my Evo used and took off the steering colum cover one day looking to fix some problems with the lights and I noticed as I was pushing the screw driver up into the hole on the right underside that it would start chiming. When I got the cover off, the white box you are having issues with had electrical tape wrapped around it to hold the side from flopping off, apparently they broke the same exact piece. The electrical tape seems to be working for the moment, maybe you might want to give that a try...lol.
NICE! This makes me want to post a how-to if I do end up actually fixing it with the parts :P
Old Dec 11, 2007, 06:46 PM

Glad everyone enjoyed my highly-technical CAD diagram.