EvolutionM - Mitsubishi Lancer and Lancer Evolution Community

EvolutionM - Mitsubishi Lancer and Lancer Evolution Community (https://www.evolutionm.net/forums/)
-   Evo General (https://www.evolutionm.net/forums/evo-general-11/)
-   -   Shortshifters in the evo. (https://www.evolutionm.net/forums/evo-general/597896-shortshifters-evo.html)

lanberg Feb 13, 2012 07:50 AM

Shortshifters in the evo.

I bought my evo like 3 weeks or so ago, and when I was buying it i mentioned getting a short shifter , and shifter bushings etc, to get a good shifter setup like in the 100 dollar modding list we have here on the website, and the guy responded with PLEASE DONT PUT A SHORT SHIFTER IN THIS CAR. I was wondering why?? Is there a legitimate reason he said that or is he just spitballing? because I want a short shifter but I dont want to get it if its going to **** something up somehow...

Anyone have a shortshifter and love it and has had no problems? anyone have major problems?

ninjabuilt Feb 13, 2012 07:58 AM

I just bought and installed my torque solutions shifter and definitely enjoy it.
I see no problem with shorter shifts and stabilizing the shifter base.
My opinion.

rcheung Feb 13, 2012 08:16 AM

Originally Posted by lanberg (Post 9961571)
I bought my evo like 3 weeks or so ago, and when I was buying it i mentioned getting a short shifter , and shifter bushings etc, to get a good shifter setup like in the 100 dollar modding list we have here on the website, and the guy responded with PLEASE DONT PUT A SHORT SHIFTER IN THIS CAR. I was wondering why?? Is there a legitimate reason he said that or is he just spitballing? because I want a short shifter but I dont want to get it if its going to **** something up somehow...

Anyone have a shortshifter and love it and has had no problems? anyone have major problems?

Did you ask him why? I had one in my 8 without issues.

binky Feb 13, 2012 08:28 AM

I have a B&M adjustable short-shifter, with shifter base bushings, under-hood brass bushings, and the shifting is fantastic.

Not a clue why someone would say not to put one in (maybe he drags a lot and kept missing gears?). I wouldn't change mine out ever. I got in an Evo with a stock shifter recently after driving mine with a short-throw and it felt sloppy.

-Bink

Raptord Feb 13, 2012 08:36 AM

I imagine it's because having a short-shifter can "incite" you into shifting faster, which might increase wear on the synchros. Only reason I can think of. I don't slam the gears though and generally try to shift nice and smooth, so if you do the same I can't think of any reason you'd have problems with it.

umopp Feb 13, 2012 06:13 PM

I've had an Authority short shifter + shift knob in my car pretty much the entire time I've had the car and I can say that I haven't ever really noticed a difference good or bad .

blknblubkrdude Feb 13, 2012 06:30 PM

Go for it! Keep your OEM parts, just in case you don't like how it feels.

I've been running the eBay SS for 2 years now, with base and under hood bushings, and I won't be going back to stock anytime soon.

TommiM Feb 13, 2012 06:47 PM

I have read on here about why not to go with a short shifter for the evos. Soemthing to do with not being good on the tranny, cant remember- its been a while since I read that info.

I dont have any personal experience with it on my car but I tried out the perrin short shifter on a friends evo, which I thought was really nice. Reading on here why not to put one in and the fact that I think my evos stock shifter is just fine is reason why I dont have one in my car though.

If you think you have a long throw in your shifter try driving an older Ford F250 manual transmission! IMO, just stick with the shifter base bushings and the underhood shifter bushings and call it a day. You really have to ask yourself, do you reallly think the shifter throw is that horrible in the evo? IDK, I just feel money could be spent elsewhere to bring out the fun factor in the car. my .02

SDevo13 Feb 13, 2012 06:52 PM

I love my short shifter *shrug* just personal preference I guess

12secDD Feb 13, 2012 08:31 PM

I have the torque solutions STS, underhood and base bushings and I love it. The stock setup is too sloppy, imo.

lanberg Feb 13, 2012 09:04 PM

Thanks all I will definitely get the under hood bushings and all that , and the throw on the evo is not bad at all, but better is better lol. but I will think about it, im probably going to end up getting a short shifter because its not too expensive, and probably worth it.

Throttle Feb 14, 2012 02:53 AM

i have a TWM short shifter, shifter base bushings, Bushur Racing underhood bushings, and a Works shift knob. shifts feel solid, are shorter, and shifter sits noticeably lower which looks cool. i havent had any problems with this setup yet, and i dont see how short shifters can be hard on your tranny as long as you dont constantly beat on it.

Pssst Feb 14, 2012 06:24 AM

I have the Perrin short shift kit... absolutely love it, all my other buddies who dont have SS in their evo, whenever I let them drive my car(rarely) they're floored at how much nicer it is...

Unless there is some super secret knowledge that the guy who owned your car before you knew, I don't see a problem with having one.. :confused:

cmspaz Feb 14, 2012 08:37 AM

I have the ebay one mentioned in the OP of the $100/time thread. We push that one hard on MitsuStyle, it's usually a Dyno Day prize, a number of us have/had them and love them.

gsrboi80 Feb 14, 2012 08:55 AM

Originally Posted by cmspaz (Post 9964514)
I have the ebay one mentioned in the OP of the $100/time thread. We push that one hard on MitsuStyle, it's usually a Dyno Day prize, a number of us have/had them and love them.

Same one here, it's been in the car for years along with the base and underhood bushings. 140k+ OEM trans shifts awesome {thumbup}