EvolutionM - Mitsubishi Lancer and Lancer Evolution Community

EvolutionM - Mitsubishi Lancer and Lancer Evolution Community (https://www.evolutionm.net/forums/)
-   Evo General (https://www.evolutionm.net/forums/evo-general-11/)
-   -   LICP blowing off... ah... (https://www.evolutionm.net/forums/evo-general/599579-licp-blowing-off-ah.html)

sadevoowner Feb 22, 2012 10:53 PM

LICP blowing off... ah...

Hey Guys -

I know there's a few threads about this already so ill try to keep it short.

Ive had my MR a month now and it has all injen intercooler piping and intake, but it has the mesh hoses that connect from the intercooler to the piping.

This has blown off three times in the last two days.

Ive read hair spray and t boldt clamps to solve this problem... but...

should i order some sort of hose that replaces the mesh hose?

Whats the difference between regular silicone hoses and the reinforced silicone reducer hoses?

Id like to fix this problem asap as its my daily driver and not being able to go over 4k rpm's is a *****.

Also i dont know what size hoses to order? are they 3" hoses or 2.50/2.75? and how long?

Im a noob and appreciate the help!

sujinX Feb 22, 2012 11:04 PM

i've never had my mesh hose blow off and its all stock stuff. are you sure u tightened them down? t-bolt clamps work really well but if u dont tighten them down they dont work. measure the OD of your injen pipe and get the coupler for that. im guessing its a 2.5" with the limited info. reinforced is usually for high temps. u dont need a reducer if your licp is the same OD as your innercooler. this is BASIC stuff, logical stuff. if u know theres a few threads already, go look for them.

if its blown off 3 times in 2 days, thats user install error. u dont hear everyones evo having pipings blowing off 2 times a day.

sadevoowner Feb 22, 2012 11:05 PM

I have the regular clamps, and when it gets to a certain point it just keeps spinning, so im guessing its broken and I need a new one?? I heard u lose a little power with the mesh hoses too.

sujinX Feb 22, 2012 11:08 PM

mesh ones expand under boost. so u lose power.

TheKidd113 Feb 22, 2012 11:11 PM

I really suggest you have t-bolt clamps for all your intercooler piping. I would upgrade your mesh couplers to silicone ones ASAP as the mesh ones expand where as the silicone hold pressure better.

sujinX Feb 22, 2012 11:13 PM

^^^ he said he has injen licp with mesh (stock) couplers. the mesh is blowing off with the worm clamps.

he must be pushing a ton of boost or something to be blowing those off.

Hendrixmx Feb 22, 2012 11:47 PM

if the clamp keeps spinning then the clamp is busted. Get some T bolt clamps! The mesh coupler should be fine.

civicej8 Feb 22, 2012 11:51 PM

and a big problem is if you have a aftermarket downpipe thats not wrapped it will heat up the stock coupler to blow off. no joke i heat wrapped my downpipe and wrapped by licp piping with foil and its held up fine.

but really i would try and get rid of the stock couplers asap

Rmeister007 Feb 22, 2012 11:57 PM

Upgrade to the silicone hoses and when you install them make sure it's on both sides equally (equidistant amount of coupler length for both sides). Then tighten them down as much as you possibly can. I had the same problem with my UICP, and it was cuz one pipe wasn't on equally so it was easy for one side to pop off. GL

sadevoowner Feb 23, 2012 12:17 AM

Originally Posted by Rmeister007 (Post 9986867)
Upgrade to the silicone hoses and when you install them make sure it's on both sides equally (equidistant amount of coupler length for both sides). Then tighten them down as much as you possibly can. I had the same problem with my UICP, and it was cuz one pipe wasn't on equally so it was easy for one side to pop off. GL

How do I know how long these silicone hoses need to be? do i just buy a long ass one and cut it down to the lengths I need? Do you know what size I would get?

It looks as if its not even like you said, and i think my clamp is definitely busted because it keeps spinning.

Im not boosting anything out of the normal, the only mods my ix has is, injen intake and intercooler piping, and fajitsubo exhaust, no down pipe or test pipe.

I bought the car pretty much how it sits. I do think it was modded previously because the 2step is set to 6200 rpm's and it did come with the mods plus a harness bar.

sadevoowner Feb 23, 2012 12:19 AM

btw i appreciate all your responses everybody. ive only had my evo 3 months and am trying to learn everything I can. I have the injen intercooler piping, what kind of piping does the stock evo come with, rubber?

sadevoowner Feb 23, 2012 12:43 AM

Originally Posted by sadevoowner (Post 9986876)
btw i appreciate all your responses everybody. ive only had my evo 3 months and am trying to learn everything I can. I have the injen intercooler piping, what kind of piping does the stock evo come with, rubber?

also what size tboldts do i need?

gpfury86 Feb 23, 2012 06:19 AM

If you have 2 1/2 inch piping buy 2 1/2 inch t-clamps...... Not to sound rude, but you just have to use some common sense. If your using hose clamps and tightening one down and it starts just spinning the worm screw without tightening down obviuosly it has a high chance of blowing off. Also when u get t-clamps DO NOT TIGHTEN THEM DOWN AS TIGHT AS YOU CAN, especially if you're using a rachet or an end wrench. If u have injen piping it's aluminum and with t-clamps u have a huge mechanical advantage over hose clamps. So yes tighten them down tight, but it's possible to crush your piping with them so just use common sense. Any tuner shop is gonna have the silicone couplers and t-clamps.

http://www.google.com/products/catal...d=0CHgQ8wIwAA#

okevolutionVIII Feb 23, 2012 09:02 AM

ExtremePsi has a full T-bolt clamp kit for an Evo 8/9. That's what I bought.

06MRericctho Feb 23, 2012 09:30 AM

you can get tbolt clamps off ebay for like 40 bucks, that's where I found mine and works great. Comes in a complete set and tighten it to the point where it starts to sink under the couplers. I had the same problem as you but mine never popped off, but the screw kept spinning. Just becareful how tight you tighten it cause I kinda crushed my intake pipe a bit.