EvolutionM - Mitsubishi Lancer and Lancer Evolution Community

EvolutionM - Mitsubishi Lancer and Lancer Evolution Community (https://www.evolutionm.net/forums/)
-   Evo General (https://www.evolutionm.net/forums/evo-general-11/)
-   -   High flow cat vs resonated test pipe, which is quieter? (https://www.evolutionm.net/forums/evo-general/629775-high-flow-cat-vs-resonated-test-pipe-quieter.html)

yenny Sep 23, 2012 12:02 AM

High flow cat vs resonated test pipe, which is quieter?

I have an AMS tbe that had a straight through test pipe. It was too loud so I installed a resonated test pipe. Still too loud.

Wondering if a high flow cat would be any quieter than the resonated test pipe?

Also, is it possible to run both a hfc and resonator together on a tbe?

trying to figure out how to quiet the beast down, as quiet as possible{thumbup}

Chaser_41 Sep 23, 2012 12:28 AM

Hfc would be more quite I would imagine. And anything can be done with the power of welding :)

ccampbell Sep 23, 2012 12:50 AM

A HFC might be a little bit quieter. And yes you can run both inline. My suggestion is to look into putting a muffler in your test pipe location. I know buschur and ultimate racing both sell them or you can get a magnaflow muffler and weld it in there which is what I did. Resonators mainly change the tone of it, like getting rid of raspy sounds.

killerpenguin21 Sep 23, 2012 08:27 AM

my berk hi flo cat is much quiter than my megan resonated test pipe. i lost less than 5whp and my head doesnt explode after long drives anymore.

evo8426 Sep 23, 2012 09:44 AM

Originally Posted by yenny (Post 10415465)
I have an AMS tbe that had a straight through test pipe. It was too loud so I installed a resonated test pipe. Still too loud.

Wondering if a high flow cat would be any quieter than the resonated test pipe?

Also, is it possible to run both a hfc and resonator together on a tbe?

trying to figure out how to quiet the beast down, as quiet as possible{thumbup}

Did you use the AMS resonated test pipe? It is what I run, I tried to go with their straight test pipe a year ago and took it off in less than 20 miles to run the resonated pipe.

blknblubkrdude Sep 23, 2012 12:05 PM

A resonated test pipe will only be minimally quieter than a standard pipe.
A cat is what really quiets things down.

But... you then add weight, increase spool times and EGT's, while decreasing power and fuel economy.

sujinX Sep 23, 2012 12:11 PM

get a cat, quiets it down and saves the environment. dont be one of those guys...

resonators change tone, mufflers help quiet things. but quiet is different for everyone.

yenny Sep 23, 2012 02:49 PM

Hmm so it sounds like a HFC will be quieter than the resonated TP. I'm ok with some loss of whp and increased spool times

Originally Posted by evo8426 (Post 10415826)
Did you use the AMS resonated test pipe? It is what I run, I tried to go with their straight test pipe a year ago and took it off in less than 20 miles to run the resonated pipe.

Yea I took out the AMS test pipe and put in a resonated ams test pipe. Since it still too loud for my tastes, Im thinking of switching to their HFC to see if it quiets things down some more

Grimgrak Sep 23, 2012 05:14 PM

Do what I did and discover the apexi ats silencer 115mm, with a SP engineering boost acutated cut out. Driving around town the car is quiet and low profile like a camry. Past 4psi it starts getting loud. If you dont want the cut out to activate you just disconnect the vacuum line.

EdSales Sep 23, 2012 05:22 PM

I've heard that AMS's exhaust are loud in general. There was another thread where someone said to replace the AMS Muffler with another one.

Boosted Tuning Sep 23, 2012 07:19 PM

HFC for sure.

yenny Sep 23, 2012 07:36 PM

Originally Posted by EdSales (Post 10416415)
I've heard that AMS's exhaust are loud in general. There was another thread where someone said to replace the AMS Muffler with another one.

anyone know which catback would be a direct bolt on fit?

evo8426 Sep 23, 2012 11:29 PM

Nothing but AMS or custom made will bolt up to their exhaust

Seto519 Sep 24, 2012 10:56 PM

im running a catco hfc on my ams tbe

Nobeam Jun 27, 2013 07:37 AM

I'm trying to decide between a AMS resonated test or a ETS high flow Cat with my ETS V2 quiet.