EvolutionM - Mitsubishi Lancer and Lancer Evolution Community

EvolutionM - Mitsubishi Lancer and Lancer Evolution Community (https://www.evolutionm.net/forums/)
-   Evo General (https://www.evolutionm.net/forums/evo-general-11/)
-   -   Quick plasti dip question (https://www.evolutionm.net/forums/evo-general/652699-quick-plasti-dip-question.html)

mossontree Apr 2, 2013 09:14 PM

Quick plasti dip question

well the DYC forums were of no help, so I was wondering if anyone here had an opinion, I'm not sure if this is the correct forum to be posting in. I plan on plasti dipping my wheels, but I have an electric sprayer and about 2 gallons of plasti dip left. Will spraying the wheels with the sprayer be as effective as using a can of compressed plasti dip because of the strange spray angles? Also as another question, does anyone have an idea of how I can get a good angle on the roof with a sprayer?

xXANCHORMONXx Apr 2, 2013 09:23 PM

1 Attachment(s)
I did my car with their hvlp sprayer.

when doing the wheels make sure you take them off the car and lean them on a wall and youll be good with either the can or sprayer, remember multiple light coats will be the best with 15 min between each coat.

When i sprayed my roof i stood on a ladder and then tilted the car at a fairly steep angle,(jack stands on one side).

What type of sprayer are you using? In my sprayer you can adjust the paint pickup in the canister by rotating a straw.

mossontree Apr 2, 2013 09:58 PM

Originally Posted by xXANCHORMONXx (Post 10741435)
I did my car with their hvlp sprayer.

when doing the wheels make sure you take them off the car and lean them on a wall and youll be good with either the can or sprayer, remember multiple light coats will be the best with 15 min between each coat.

When i sprayed my roof i stood on a ladder and then tilted the car at a fairly steep angle,(jack stands on one side).

What type of sprayer are you using? In my sprayer you can adjust the paint pickup in the canister by rotating a straw.

Ive got the lowest end wagner sprayer, I picked it up for $75. You can adjust the amout of paint, but thats it. I actually can't use jack stands as of now because the previous owner of my car f'ed up the jack points beyond belief. you think id still be okay using the plastic bag trick and the sprayer? Any other ideas how I could do the roof without the use of jacks?

mrdrvr Apr 3, 2013 05:37 AM

1 Attachment(s)
I dipped my roof a few days ago with a sata jet gravity feed. I masked my car off. Took like 15 minutes to tape and cover in plastic. Then I began spraying. Here is the final product
Attachment 278395

mossontree Apr 3, 2013 09:24 AM

Originally Posted by mrdrvr (Post 10741696)
I dipped my roof a few days ago with a sata jet gravity feed. I masked my car off. Took like 15 minutes to tape and cover in plastic. Then I began spraying. Here is the final product
http://i1357.photobucket.com/albums/...ps69f8263a.jpg

Did you use any sort of jacking method? It how did you get your spraying done? Also are those wheels plasti dipped? Did you take the wheels off or leave them on? Did you use the sprayer for them?

mossontree Apr 3, 2013 03:06 PM

bumping

flashevo12 Apr 3, 2013 06:04 PM

You don't even need to take the wheels off the car if your doing plasti dip. Tape off the body and stuff that you don't want to clean up later. As you know if you mess up just peel off and go at it again. Have fun

mrdrvr Apr 3, 2013 08:03 PM

Originally Posted by mossontree (Post 10742170)
Did you use any sort of jacking method? It how did you get your spraying done? Also are those wheels plasti dipped? Did you take the wheels off or leave them on? Did you use the sprayer for them?

No jacking method. I'm a little over 6 feet tall. So I just sprayed from the middle to each edge. Wheels are not dipped they were purchased in matte black finish. Wheels stayed on the car. Everything was masked off with plastic sheets and towels over the wheels.

cmspaz Apr 4, 2013 06:03 PM

Just a heads up guys, I work for Wagner in the technical service department, and NONE of our consumer units are safe to use with Plastidip.

The reason being, none of the turbines used in the HVLP sprayers are spark contained, nor are the armatures in the cup guns. Plastidip is one of the worst coatings on the market as far as a flashpoint is concerned, and it produces enough vapor to combust with a spark at NEGATIVE 20 degrees Fahrenheit. For the record, gasoline is -45F. Consider yourself to basically be spraying gasoline into the air with something that is capable of creating a spark.

So please PLEASE be safe and use a proper setup for spraying this stuff, at the very minimum an HVLP conversion gun with the compressor in another room entirely, or even better a spark contained compressor. Just because Johnny Bravo with his Honda Civic down the street did it in his garage with a Control Spray and didn't blow himself up doesn't mean you won't. Believe me, I do realize that our consumer HVLP units spray this stuff like a dream, but it's sure as hell not worth risking your property, health, or possibly even life over.

And before anyone says anything, yes, I know DYC uses one of our Control Spray units in their videos. They were marketing it on their site for a while and we had to issue a cease and desist notice over it because of the risks.

arievox Apr 4, 2013 06:37 PM

1 Attachment(s)
I used white plastidip on my wheels and I have no regret. I used it straight from the spray can though, looks great and has yet to peel off. Just saying. That's my personal opinion on it. A cheap DIY.

bitterchild Apr 4, 2013 08:21 PM

Originally Posted by cmspaz (Post 10744728)
Just a heads up guys, I work for Wagner in the technical service department, and NONE of our consumer units are safe to use with Plastidip.

And before anyone says anything, yes, I know DYC uses one of our Control Spray units in their videos. They were marketing it on their site for a while and we had to issue a cease and desist notice over it because of the risks.

Good to know. Is the Earlex 3500 DYC is not selling safe for use w/ plastidip?

basher519 Apr 4, 2013 11:29 PM

THANK YOU CMSPAZ!!!

Need to let some friends know about this potentially HUGE danger!

{thumbup}

cmspaz Apr 6, 2013 02:30 PM

Originally Posted by basher519 (Post 10745064)
THANK YOU CMSPAZ!!!

Need to let some friends know about this potentially HUGE danger!

{thumbup}

No problem, I'd hate to see or hear about (and I know I would) someone injured or worse by using the wrong unit to spray this stuff.

Originally Posted by bitterchild (Post 10744907)
Good to know. Is the Earlex 3500 DYC is not selling safe for use w/ plastidip?

That I do not know for sure, we don't manufacture any of Earlex's units.

But just taking a look at it, it doesn't appear to be, as they don't mention it and it would be a huge selling point. I would call Earlex and ask them, and if they say it's not, be sure to notify them that DYC is selling it specifically for use with low flashpoint materials. Any GOOD tech rep is going to make sure that info gets to the right people, at the very least a supervisor.

Bramage_Dained Apr 6, 2013 07:17 PM

Aww, look at Spaz all up in here with knowledge and ****.

anwkid Apr 10, 2013 05:27 PM

Why not just Vinyl wrap it? The pricing is similar ans there is much less prep work!

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Matte-Flat-Black-Air-Release-Vinyl-Wrap-Hood-Roof-Trunk-Door-Bumper-60-x60-/320946821774?pt=Motors_Car_Truck_Parts_Accessories&hash=item4ab9ebda8e&vxp=mtr