Notices
Evo General Discuss any generalized technical Evo related topics that may not fit into the other forums. Please do not post tech and rumor threads here.
Sponsored by: RavSpec - JDM Wheels Central

Quick plasti dip question

Search this Thread

Old Apr 2, 2013, 09:14 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Quick plasti dip question

well the DYC forums were of no help, so I was wondering if anyone here had an opinion, I'm not sure if this is the correct forum to be posting in. I plan on plasti dipping my wheels, but I have an electric sprayer and about 2 gallons of plasti dip left. Will spraying the wheels with the sprayer be as effective as using a can of compressed plasti dip because of the strange spray angles? Also as another question, does anyone have an idea of how I can get a good angle on the roof with a sprayer?
Old Apr 2, 2013, 09:23 PM
Evolved Member

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
I did my car with their hvlp sprayer.

when doing the wheels make sure you take them off the car and lean them on a wall and youll be good with either the can or sprayer, remember multiple light coats will be the best with 15 min between each coat.

When i sprayed my roof i stood on a ladder and then tilted the car at a fairly steep angle,(jack stands on one side).

What type of sprayer are you using? In my sprayer you can adjust the paint pickup in the canister by rotating a straw.
Attached Thumbnails Quick plasti dip question-738125_10151407169209903_1174765333_o.jpg  
Old Apr 2, 2013, 09:58 PM

Originally Posted by xXANCHORMONXx
I did my car with their hvlp sprayer.

when doing the wheels make sure you take them off the car and lean them on a wall and youll be good with either the can or sprayer, remember multiple light coats will be the best with 15 min between each coat.

When i sprayed my roof i stood on a ladder and then tilted the car at a fairly steep angle,(jack stands on one side).

What type of sprayer are you using? In my sprayer you can adjust the paint pickup in the canister by rotating a straw.
Ive got the lowest end wagner sprayer, I picked it up for $75. You can adjust the amout of paint, but thats it. I actually can't use jack stands as of now because the previous owner of my car f'ed up the jack points beyond belief. you think id still be okay using the plastic bag trick and the sprayer? Any other ideas how I could do the roof without the use of jacks?
Old Apr 3, 2013, 05:37 AM

I dipped my roof a few days ago with a sata jet gravity feed. I masked my car off. Took like 15 minutes to tape and cover in plastic. Then I began spraying. Here is the final product
Name:  DSC_0075_zps69f8263a.jpg
Views: 0
Size:  113.8 KB
Old Apr 3, 2013, 09:24 AM

Originally Posted by mrdrvr
I dipped my roof a few days ago with a sata jet gravity feed. I masked my car off. Took like 15 minutes to tape and cover in plastic. Then I began spraying. Here is the final product
Did you use any sort of jacking method? It how did you get your spraying done? Also are those wheels plasti dipped? Did you take the wheels off or leave them on? Did you use the sprayer for them?
Old Apr 3, 2013, 03:06 PM

bumping
Old Apr 3, 2013, 06:04 PM

You don't even need to take the wheels off the car if your doing plasti dip. Tape off the body and stuff that you don't want to clean up later. As you know if you mess up just peel off and go at it again. Have fun
Old Apr 3, 2013, 08:03 PM

Originally Posted by mossontree
Did you use any sort of jacking method? It how did you get your spraying done? Also are those wheels plasti dipped? Did you take the wheels off or leave them on? Did you use the sprayer for them?
No jacking method. I'm a little over 6 feet tall. So I just sprayed from the middle to each edge. Wheels are not dipped they were purchased in matte black finish. Wheels stayed on the car. Everything was masked off with plastic sheets and towels over the wheels.
Old Apr 4, 2013, 06:03 PM
Evolving Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Just a heads up guys, I work for Wagner in the technical service department, and NONE of our consumer units are safe to use with Plastidip.

The reason being, none of the turbines used in the HVLP sprayers are spark contained, nor are the armatures in the cup guns. Plastidip is one of the worst coatings on the market as far as a flashpoint is concerned, and it produces enough vapor to combust with a spark at NEGATIVE 20 degrees Fahrenheit. For the record, gasoline is -45F. Consider yourself to basically be spraying gasoline into the air with something that is capable of creating a spark.

So please PLEASE be safe and use a proper setup for spraying this stuff, at the very minimum an HVLP conversion gun with the compressor in another room entirely, or even better a spark contained compressor. Just because Johnny Bravo with his Honda Civic down the street did it in his garage with a Control Spray and didn't blow himself up doesn't mean you won't. Believe me, I do realize that our consumer HVLP units spray this stuff like a dream, but it's sure as hell not worth risking your property, health, or possibly even life over.

And before anyone says anything, yes, I know DYC uses one of our Control Spray units in their videos. They were marketing it on their site for a while and we had to issue a cease and desist notice over it because of the risks.
Old Apr 4, 2013, 06:37 PM

I used white plastidip on my wheels and I have no regret. I used it straight from the spray can though, looks great and has yet to peel off. Just saying. That's my personal opinion on it. A cheap DIY.
Attached Thumbnails Quick plasti dip question-77121_10151583031020987_1042128677_n.jpg  
Old Apr 4, 2013, 08:21 PM

Originally Posted by cmspaz
Just a heads up guys, I work for Wagner in the technical service department, and NONE of our consumer units are safe to use with Plastidip.

And before anyone says anything, yes, I know DYC uses one of our Control Spray units in their videos. They were marketing it on their site for a while and we had to issue a cease and desist notice over it because of the risks.
Good to know. Is the Earlex 3500 DYC is not selling safe for use w/ plastidip?
Old Apr 4, 2013, 11:29 PM

THANK YOU CMSPAZ!!!

Need to let some friends know about this potentially HUGE danger!

Old Apr 6, 2013, 02:30 PM
Evolving Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Originally Posted by basher519
THANK YOU CMSPAZ!!!

Need to let some friends know about this potentially HUGE danger!

No problem, I'd hate to see or hear about (and I know I would) someone injured or worse by using the wrong unit to spray this stuff.

Originally Posted by bitterchild
Good to know. Is the Earlex 3500 DYC is not selling safe for use w/ plastidip?
That I do not know for sure, we don't manufacture any of Earlex's units.

But just taking a look at it, it doesn't appear to be, as they don't mention it and it would be a huge selling point. I would call Earlex and ask them, and if they say it's not, be sure to notify them that DYC is selling it specifically for use with low flashpoint materials. Any GOOD tech rep is going to make sure that info gets to the right people, at the very least a supervisor.
Old Apr 6, 2013, 07:17 PM
Evolving Member

Aww, look at Spaz all up in here with knowledge and ****.
Old Apr 10, 2013, 05:27 PM

Why not just Vinyl wrap it? The pricing is similar ans there is much less prep work!

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Matte-Flat-Black-Air-Release-Vinyl-Wrap-Hood-Roof-Trunk-Door-Bumper-60-x60-/320946821774?pt=Motors_Car_Truck_Parts_Accessories&hash=item4ab9ebda8e&vxp=mtr

Quick Reply: Quick plasti dip question