Notices
Evo How To Requests / Questions / Tips If you're looking for a how-to on something, ask in here.

Non-HID VIII/IX - TO - HID OEM Conversion

Search this Thread

Old Jun 5, 2016, 02:17 PM
Evolving Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Non-HID VIII/IX - TO - HID OEM Conversion

A lot of us have Non-HID (GSR or RS) Evo VIII's or IX's. A lot of us also want HID's and Fog Lights. Most people usually go the aftermarket route with an HID Kit, however that's not what I personally wanted to do. I like OEM. I like it's dependability, I like how clean it is. The following reasons where why I chose this route:
  1. I wanted to use my OEM Fog Light Switch
  2. I wanted to use my OEM Headlight Leveling Switch
  3. I didn't want to wire in four relays
  4. I didn't want to hack up my wiring harness
  5. I didn't want to mess around with fabricating a cover for the bottom of my headlights
  6. I also prefer OEM HID's over Aftermarket HID's

Some of you may not care about the OEM way, but if your a stickler for details, like myself, you probably care a lot about the small things.For these reasons I wanted to figure out how to do an OEM Conversion. After many, many, many hours reading, writing, drawing, and otherwise studying how our cars' wiring harness came from the factory, I was still left a bit stumped. There's some information out there on how to wire in relays, and aftermarket switches, but there's none on the conversion using OEM parts and harnesses.

I'm very comfortable with wiring/electricity, so I decided to jump head first into the Non-HID > HID Conversion, even without knowing 100% how it would turn out. The following is what I ordered:
  1. 2006 Evo MR SE Dash Harness
  2. 2006 Evo MR SE Headlight Harness
  3. Wire Loom
  4. 3M Butt Splices

I pulled my Non-HID Harness first, as I was dreading the Dash Harness. This Harness is pretty straight forward, there's nothing super technical about it. A big plus for all of those whom are uneasy with the idea, just remember: You literally can't mess it up by plugging anything into the wrong clip. The clips are all different, so don't worry about messing anything up.

After I finished the removal of the Non-HID Harness, I installed the HID Harness. This is also straight forward. It's really a simple thing to do, it only takes a couple hours at most, mainly due to having to remove the Drivers Seat to get under the Dash. After the HID Harness was installed, I moved on to the Dash Harness.

As I was removing the Cover from the left side of the Dash, I noticed two little clips that were taped up and to the Wiring Harness itself. The clips looked really familiar, so I compared them to the HID Dash Harness before I went any further.

To my surprise: They were the Fog Light and Headlight Leveling Motor clips! Thinking this was too good to be true, I tried to find more information on our Dash Harness. After a couple of days of researching the topic, I said screw it and plugged the switches into the clips. It's either going to work, or it won't, right?

After everything was back together, I decided to try my headlights! When I clicked the key into ACC I heard this really weird noise that I had never heard before.. It kind of scared me, but it went away pretty quickly. So I turned on my headlights. THEY WORKED! Turns out, that noise was my Leveling Motors aligning themselves.

Now here comes the moment of truth: The Fog Lights.. THEY WORKED! And so did the Headlight Leveling Switches! And that was it! Non-HID to HID OEM Conversion was complete.

Turns out, Mitsubishi wired all of our cars with the same Dash Harness. The only reason we can't use the Factory Fog or Leveling Switches is because we don't have them, and we don't have the additional relays required for the Fog Light Latching Circuit that the HID Headlight Harness comes with. Other than that, they're all EXACTLY the same Harness.

So that's it! You just need to source the following to do an Non-HID to HID OEM Converion:
  1. HID Headlight Harness
  2. Foglight Switch
  3. Headlight Leveling Motor Switch
  4. Fog/Leveling Switch Plate

It's really that simple! No need to wire in a bunch of extra relays, or drill holes into your car to mount aftermarket switches. Just find a Harness and the Switches and you're good to go!

Good luck!

For a side note: I run JDM Evo VIII MR Headlights, so my Fog Light is a 9006, not an H11. I also did an ABS, A/C, and Power Steering Delete as well. I'll do a write up on how I wired in the Wheel Speed Sensors so the ACD still works after I'm finished as well as the Power Steering and Air Conditioner so you don't have any Dash Lights on.
Old Oct 9, 2016, 11:58 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by .DoT.
A lot of us have Non-HID (GSR or RS) Evo VIII's or IX's. A lot of us also want HID's and Fog Lights. Most people usually go the aftermarket route with an HID Kit, however that's not what I personally wanted to do. I like OEM. I like it's dependability, I like how clean it is. The following reasons where why I chose this route:
  1. I wanted to use my OEM Fog Light Switch
  2. I wanted to use my OEM Headlight Leveling Switch
  3. I didn't want to wire in four relays
  4. I didn't want to hack up my wiring harness
  5. I didn't want to mess around with fabricating a cover for the bottom of my headlights
  6. I also prefer OEM HID's over Aftermarket HID's

Some of you may not care about the OEM way, but if your a stickler for details, like myself, you probably care a lot about the small things.For these reasons I wanted to figure out how to do an OEM Conversion. After many, many, many hours reading, writing, drawing, and otherwise studying how our cars' wiring harness came from the factory, I was still left a bit stumped. There's some information out there on how to wire in relays, and aftermarket switches, but there's none on the conversion using OEM parts and harnesses.

I'm very comfortable with wiring/electricity, so I decided to jump head first into the Non-HID > HID Conversion, even without knowing 100% how it would turn out. The following is what I ordered:
  1. 2006 Evo MR SE Dash Harness
  2. 2006 Evo MR SE Headlight Harness
  3. Wire Loom
  4. 3M Butt Splices

I pulled my Non-HID Harness first, as I was dreading the Dash Harness. This Harness is pretty straight forward, there's nothing super technical about it. A big plus for all of those whom are uneasy with the idea, just remember: You literally can't mess it up by plugging anything into the wrong clip. The clips are all different, so don't worry about messing anything up.

After I finished the removal of the Non-HID Harness, I installed the HID Harness. This is also straight forward. It's really a simple thing to do, it only takes a couple hours at most, mainly due to having to remove the Drivers Seat to get under the Dash. After the HID Harness was installed, I moved on to the Dash Harness.

As I was removing the Cover from the left side of the Dash, I noticed two little clips that were taped up and to the Wiring Harness itself. The clips looked really familiar, so I compared them to the HID Dash Harness before I went any further.

To my surprise: They were the Fog Light and Headlight Leveling Motor clips! Thinking this was too good to be true, I tried to find more information on our Dash Harness. After a couple of days of researching the topic, I said screw it and plugged the switches into the clips. It's either going to work, or it won't, right?

After everything was back together, I decided to try my headlights! When I clicked the key into ACC I heard this really weird noise that I had never heard before.. It kind of scared me, but it went away pretty quickly. So I turned on my headlights. THEY WORKED! Turns out, that noise was my Leveling Motors aligning themselves.

Now here comes the moment of truth: The Fog Lights.. THEY WORKED! And so did the Headlight Leveling Switches! And that was it! Non-HID to HID OEM Conversion was complete.

Turns out, Mitsubishi wired all of our cars with the same Dash Harness. The only reason we can't use the Factory Fog or Leveling Switches is because we don't have them, and we don't have the additional relays required for the Fog Light Latching Circuit that the HID Headlight Harness comes with. Other than that, they're all EXACTLY the same Harness.

So that's it! You just need to source the following to do an Non-HID to HID OEM Converion:
  1. HID Headlight Harness
  2. Foglight Switch
  3. Headlight Leveling Motor Switch
  4. Fog/Leveling Switch Plate

It's really that simple! No need to wire in a bunch of extra relays, or drill holes into your car to mount aftermarket switches. Just find a Harness and the Switches and you're good to go!

Good luck!

For a side note: I run JDM Evo VIII MR Headlights, so my Fog Light is a 9006, not an H11. I also did an ABS, A/C, and Power Steering Delete as well. I'll do a write up on how I wired in the Wheel Speed Sensors so the ACD still works after I'm finished as well as the Power Steering and Air Conditioner so you don't have any Dash Lights on.

Thanks for the info! I located the plugs as you described in the dash harness. I was about to pull the entire dash apart to do the swap until I found this. I'm working on the engine side now. Were you able to purchase a new OE harness? I'm having issues sourcing a harness that isn't hacked up. I have an HID harness and from what I can tell I can actually wire it into my non-HID harness by unpinning some connections, but I'd rather just pull out the harness and swap if they're attainable. Thanks again!
Old Oct 13, 2016, 09:42 AM
Evolved Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Ebay all day.. I paid 165 for mine.