EvolutionM - Mitsubishi Lancer and Lancer Evolution Community

EvolutionM - Mitsubishi Lancer and Lancer Evolution Community (https://www.evolutionm.net/forums/)
-   Evo General (https://www.evolutionm.net/forums/evo-general-11/)
-   -   Timing belt concerns (https://www.evolutionm.net/forums/evo-general/732867-timing-belt-concerns.html)

Superchargedk20 Sep 9, 2016 01:08 PM

Timing belt concerns

Hey guys I'm picking up my 1st evo but am a little concerned. It's an 03 with 16k miles. I'll be driving it over 7 hours to get it home. My issue is the car is still on the factory timing belt. Should I be concerned driving such a long distance on such an old belt? The owner had all the maintenance done last year when the car had 5k miles on it. The shop said the timing belt looked like new. He since put about 14k miles in 1 yr.

MinusPrevious Sep 9, 2016 02:10 PM

Sounds like this car has been garaged / stored for some time. 16K miles{thumbup}

As noted, the belt has been looked at w/no cracks found. I would OK w/driving that home & would not worry about it at all

Have fun & congrats {thumbup}

Superchargedk20 Sep 9, 2016 02:12 PM

Originally Posted by MinusPrevious (Post 11662098)
Sounds like this car has been garaged / stored for some time. 16K miles{thumbup}

As noted, the belt has been looked at w/no cracks found. I would OK w/driving that home & would not worry about it at all

Have fun & congrats {thumbup}

She's in the fs section here . Ok cool thanks. Makes me feel better. Would you recommend changing it once I get it home?

Chrispy0530 Sep 9, 2016 02:27 PM

You should be fine for the drive home, but would probably make it one of the first things on the "to do list". Grats on the purchase btw. :)

I got my evo not that long ago with 113k miles, and drove it home 9 hours. Was a fun drive.

barneyb Sep 9, 2016 04:17 PM

I'd guess a two owner car. Somebody kept it as a museum piece and then unloaded it. The second owner drove it some and then decided to sell. Anyway, if all the maintenance had been done the vehicle would have a new timing belt. So, that's not true.

Rather than mess about at the locality of the purchase, I too would plunge out for home. However, 16K miles is about the lifetime of the OEM tire, if that is what it still wears. Take a tire gauge and take a good look at the tires. Make sure the spare has 60 psi.

Another concern is the OEM clutch. Used carefully it is good for 100K mile or thereabouts. Abused at all and it is good for 15K miles. If you notice any slippage in higher gears stay out of WOT.

Finally, when home, do the maintenance that supposedly has been done.

Anyway, it sounds like a dream buy. I have an '03 and its been the best.

Superchargedk20 Sep 9, 2016 05:24 PM

Originally Posted by barneyb (Post 11662136)
I'd guess a two owner car. Somebody kept it as a museum piece and then unloaded it. The second owner drove it some and then decided to sell. Anyway, if all the maintenance had been done the vehicle would have a new timing belt. So, that's not true.

Rather than mess about at the locality of the purchase, I too would plunge out for home. However, 16K miles is about the lifetime of the OEM tire, if that is what it still wears. Take a tire gauge and take a good look at the tires. Make sure the spare has 60 psi.

Another concern is the OEM clutch. Used carefully it is good for 100K mile or thereabouts. Abused at all and it is good for 15K miles. If you notice any slippage in higher gears stay out of WOT.

Finally, when home, do the maintenance that supposedly has been done.

Anyway, it sounds like a dream buy. I have an '03 and its been the best.

The receipts of all the maintenance have been posted on here. The car is listed on the fs section.The tires have been changed.

4b11slayer Sep 9, 2016 09:55 PM

Yes you can drive it with out worries. These cars make 500 hp with 150k miles