Notices
Evo General Discuss any generalized technical Evo related topics that may not fit into the other forums. Please do not post tech and rumor threads here.
Sponsored by: RavSpec - JDM Wheels Central

Timing belt concerns

Search this Thread

Old Sep 9, 2016, 01:08 PM

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Timing belt concerns

Hey guys I'm picking up my 1st evo but am a little concerned. It's an 03 with 16k miles. I'll be driving it over 7 hours to get it home. My issue is the car is still on the factory timing belt. Should I be concerned driving such a long distance on such an old belt? The owner had all the maintenance done last year when the car had 5k miles on it. The shop said the timing belt looked like new. He since put about 14k miles in 1 yr.
Old Sep 9, 2016, 02:10 PM
EvoM Staff Alumni

Received 1,384 Likes on 1,317 Posts
Sounds like this car has been garaged / stored for some time. 16K miles

As noted, the belt has been looked at w/no cracks found. I would OK w/driving that home & would not worry about it at all

Have fun & congrats
Old Sep 9, 2016, 02:12 PM

Originally Posted by MinusPrevious
Sounds like this car has been garaged / stored for some time. 16K miles

As noted, the belt has been looked at w/no cracks found. I would OK w/driving that home & would not worry about it at all

Have fun & congrats
She's in the fs section here . Ok cool thanks. Makes me feel better. Would you recommend changing it once I get it home?

Last edited by Superchargedk20; Sep 9, 2016 at 02:21 PM.
Old Sep 9, 2016, 02:27 PM
Evolving Member

Received 15 Likes on 14 Posts
You should be fine for the drive home, but would probably make it one of the first things on the "to do list". Grats on the purchase btw.

I got my evo not that long ago with 113k miles, and drove it home 9 hours. Was a fun drive.
Old Sep 9, 2016, 04:17 PM
Evolved Member

Received 144 Likes on 128 Posts
I'd guess a two owner car. Somebody kept it as a museum piece and then unloaded it. The second owner drove it some and then decided to sell. Anyway, if all the maintenance had been done the vehicle would have a new timing belt. So, that's not true.

Rather than mess about at the locality of the purchase, I too would plunge out for home. However, 16K miles is about the lifetime of the OEM tire, if that is what it still wears. Take a tire gauge and take a good look at the tires. Make sure the spare has 60 psi.

Another concern is the OEM clutch. Used carefully it is good for 100K mile or thereabouts. Abused at all and it is good for 15K miles. If you notice any slippage in higher gears stay out of WOT.

Finally, when home, do the maintenance that supposedly has been done.

Anyway, it sounds like a dream buy. I have an '03 and its been the best.

Last edited by barneyb; Sep 9, 2016 at 04:32 PM.
Old Sep 9, 2016, 05:24 PM

Originally Posted by barneyb
I'd guess a two owner car. Somebody kept it as a museum piece and then unloaded it. The second owner drove it some and then decided to sell. Anyway, if all the maintenance had been done the vehicle would have a new timing belt. So, that's not true.

Rather than mess about at the locality of the purchase, I too would plunge out for home. However, 16K miles is about the lifetime of the OEM tire, if that is what it still wears. Take a tire gauge and take a good look at the tires. Make sure the spare has 60 psi.

Another concern is the OEM clutch. Used carefully it is good for 100K mile or thereabouts. Abused at all and it is good for 15K miles. If you notice any slippage in higher gears stay out of WOT.

Finally, when home, do the maintenance that supposedly has been done.

Anyway, it sounds like a dream buy. I have an '03 and its been the best.
The receipts of all the maintenance have been posted on here. The car is listed on the fs section.The tires have been changed.
Old Sep 9, 2016, 09:55 PM
Evolved Member

Received 89 Likes on 88 Posts
Yes you can drive it with out worries. These cars make 500 hp with 150k miles