EvolutionM - Mitsubishi Lancer and Lancer Evolution Community

EvolutionM - Mitsubishi Lancer and Lancer Evolution Community (https://www.evolutionm.net/forums/)
-   Evo General (https://www.evolutionm.net/forums/evo-general-11/)
-   -   What's a fair price timing belt install or full 60k maintenance in 2018? (https://www.evolutionm.net/forums/evo-general/751978-whats-fair-price-timing-belt-install-full-60k-maintenance-2018-a.html)

Kreeker Nov 26, 2018 08:30 AM

What's a fair price timing belt install or full 60k maintenance in 2018?

Hey guys I finally have to do my 60k maintenance (I'm a little over at 69k) on my evo 9. I've come across older threads where people say they were charged around $900 to do the full 60k maintenance.

One quote I got was $1300 just to change out the timing belt and water pump. This is from a more general performance shop.

One quote that I'm about to receive is about $2000 just to change out the timing belt and water pump. This is from a shop known for working on evos, although they seem to do more GTRs now. I trust this shop more, but this just seems to be insanity... I asked how many hours of labor and they said 8 hours. I told them the other shop is charging ~4 hours. He made it sound like the timing belt and the water pump are two separate things when in reality the reason you do the timing belt and water pump together is because the are essentially the same labor...

llDemonll Nov 26, 2018 09:03 AM

time belt, water pump, accessory belts, pulleys, tensioners should all be included. anything the timing belt touches should be replaced for the sole reason of being in there.

$1500 is probably a close estimate

Evo 8 Kit ($700): https://stmtuned.com/collections/mit...placement-kits
Evo 9 Kit ($740): https://stmtuned.com/collections/mit...placement-kits

Labor is 6-8 hours book time I think? Add in the cost for a coolant refill as well and that's your total. Everything in the STM kit is what should be replaced. If shops aren't replacing all that stuff, then you don't want to be going there. You've got the right mindset, water pump is not a separate task, it's one you do because you're already in there and you may as well.

Kreeker Nov 26, 2018 09:12 AM

Originally Posted by llDemonll (Post 11850293)
time belt, water pump, accessory belts, pulleys, tensioners should all be included. anything the timing belt touches should be replaced for the sole reason of being in there.

$1500 is probably a close estimate

Evo 8 Kit ($700): https://stmtuned.com/collections/mit...placement-kits
Evo 9 Kit ($740): https://stmtuned.com/collections/mit...placement-kits

Labor is 6-8 hours book time I think? Add in the cost for a coolant refill as well and that's your total. Everything in the STM kit is what should be replaced. If shops aren't replacing all that stuff, then you don't want to be going there. You've got the right mindset, water pump is not a separate task, it's one you do because you're already in there and you may as well.

So you're saying 6-8 hours and $1500 just for the timing belt and water pump, or for the full 60k maintenance?

​​​​

Biggiesacks Nov 26, 2018 09:32 AM

The parts being replaced will have an effect on the price too. New OEM vs, New aftermarket, vs reusing/not replacing. Changing the water pump does involve extraneous steps to just doing a timing belt. It could also have to do with how the mechanics are paid, by the job or by the hour.

Edit: basically what DEMON said. Refresh fail. The full 60k maintenance is pretty comprehensive vs just a timing belt job.

LetsGetThisDone Nov 26, 2018 11:54 AM

ExtremePSI is a little cheaper than STM on the parts kit (~$100). STM does price match though.

Timeing belt with all components + balance shaft belt is 4hrs. Adding the water pump to that job is an extra 1-2hrs tops because 80% of the work is done. So max 6hrs. Say $850 for parts (added some extra for coolant and shop supplies), and $100/hr labor you're at $1450. The shop saying $2k is stoned. They're probably charging separate/full time for water pump and timing belt which they shouldn't be doing.

At 60k you should change the fluid in the trans, tcase and rear diff as well.

Strm Trpr Nov 26, 2018 05:44 PM

Are water pumps now a 60k mile scheduled maintenance item?

Lumpy Sticks Nov 26, 2018 11:13 PM

I am just about to turn 60k on mine. I feel like the only things that really "need" to be done are 3 belts. Cam belt, balance shaft belt and serpentine belt. I just did spark plugs so all that's left to change is ALL my fluids. Then I will call my 60k complete service done. Should be in the whole thing less then $500 in parts and fluid.

Biggiesacks Nov 27, 2018 07:10 AM

Originally Posted by Lumpy Sticks (Post 11850429)
I am just about to turn 60k on mine. I feel like the only things that really "need" to be done are 3 belts. Cam belt, balance shaft belt and serpentine belt. I just did spark plugs so all that's left to change is ALL my fluids. Then I will call my 60k complete service done. Should be in the whole thing less then $500 in parts and fluid.

radiator hoses and air filters are also due at 60k

LetsGetThisDone Nov 27, 2018 07:59 AM

Originally Posted by Strm Trpr (Post 11850407)
Are water pumps now a 60k mile scheduled maintenance item?

They're not, but you have to do the same work to access it as if you're doing a timing belt- serp belt and timing covers need to come off to get to it. At this age the car should have the coolant changed anyways, and with the pump being that old, it doesn't hurt to go ahead and change it.

Originally Posted by Biggiesacks (Post 11850446)

I would give rad hoses a squeeze check at 60k, but with the age of the car, probably not a bad idea to just replace them.

llDemonll Nov 27, 2018 08:36 AM

Originally Posted by Kreeker (Post 11850294)
So you're saying 6-8 hours and $1500 just for the timing belt and water pump, or for the full 60k maintenance?

​​​​

That's pretty much the largest part of the 60k service. There are a lot of little items, but I wouldn't exactly consider Front/Rear diff, oil, spark plugs, air filter, and other items like that difficult.

timing belt and the associated pieces (water pump, tensioners, etc) is by far the large part

maxroach Nov 27, 2018 08:53 AM

Doing timing belt / or 60k miles service, is a must to replace the tensioner with OEM only. Is a must also to go OEM on Timing belt.

If budget is tight, you can go aftermarket on the rest. if that so, go GATES brand. Gates water pumps are good too!

DIY, it will save you a lot of money, and its not that hard.

if DIY, invest on timing gear lock and timing tensioner puller wrench and 8-20 LBS-IN 1/4 drive torque wrench.

Goodluck

badev0 Nov 27, 2018 10:50 AM

If it's just a timing belt + timing accessories & water pump, I usually charge around $500-$700 (parts + labor) depending on if we use gates or OEM brand parts. I usually steer people toward all gates parts with the exception of an OEM tensioner if they're on a budget.

gsr1379 Nov 27, 2018 01:40 PM

badev0

700.. Dang to bad you are kind of far from me.

Lumpy Sticks Nov 27, 2018 02:05 PM

Originally Posted by Biggiesacks (Post 11850446)

Ahh yes! I will add the hoses to my list. The air filter though, I would hope its been changed at least 3 times by 60k. I typically change it every 10k.

Not really 60k service related, but dont forget about the cabin filter! Mine was so dirty I am surprised that any air could even pass through it.

HoneyGreenTea Nov 30, 2018 09:15 PM

Did the full maintenance here in socal for about $700 at the dealership