Notices
Evo How To Requests / Questions / Tips If you're looking for a how-to on something, ask in here.

Tip: Stop the beeping alert to fasten seatbelt

Search this Thread

Old Oct 9, 2004, 05:06 PM
Evolving Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Tip: Stop the beeping alert to fasten seatbelt

On the 04 Evos, if you drive off without fastening the seatbelt, the car will start beeping, and will continue to beep until you either fasten the seatbelt or turn off the ignition.

It annoys me greatly since I have to move the car up and down the driveway. Can't be that bad, righ? Well, my driveway is pretty long, and it's annoying when I take the seatbelt off so I can maneouvre the car in tight spaces.

Well, I discovered that if you disconnect the seatbelt harness, it will stop the annoying beeping altogether. It's a white clip that you can get to by sliding the driver's seat all the way back. It's pretty easy to slide off. One clip and it's off.

Another nice thing is the warning light on the dash to fasten your seatbelt also goes off. I haven't found any side effect as of yet.

Don't get me wrong. I wear my seatbelt 100% of the time. I just don't wear it when I'm moving the cars around in the garage and the driveway.

Old Oct 9, 2004, 05:11 PM
Account Disabled

sounds good ill try it in the morning thanks
Old Oct 9, 2004, 05:13 PM
Evolving Member

I believe you are disconnecting the sensor that is in the seat so it knows when someone is sitting down, thats what I think triggers the alarm...shouldn't affect anything else
Old Oct 9, 2004, 09:27 PM
Evolving Member

That may effect the side airbags as well. Just a guess...
Old Oct 9, 2004, 09:29 PM
Evolved Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Or just wear your seatbelt.
Old Oct 9, 2004, 09:35 PM
Evolved Member

Only problem I see with it is if our cars have a black box. If they do and you get in an accident, the black box will know if you had your seat belt on. If the sensor is disconnected and doesn't register correctly, your insurance could deny any claims if they find out.

But like I said, I don't know if our cars have that capability.
Old Oct 9, 2004, 09:36 PM

i was wondering about the beep and light as well since i planned on getting 4 point harnesses and would not use the standard seatbelt clip so it would be pretty annoying good find lets just hope it doesn 't affect stuff like the airbag as one person said.
Old Oct 9, 2004, 10:50 PM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by g6civcx
On the 04 Evos, if you drive off without fastening the seatbelt, the car will start beeping, and will continue to beep until you either fasten the seatbelt or turn off the ignition.

It annoys me greatly since I have to move the car up and down the driveway. Can't be that bad, righ? Well, my driveway is pretty long, and it's annoying when I take the seatbelt off so I can maneouvre the car in tight spaces.

Well, I discovered that if you disconnect the seatbelt harness, it will stop the annoying beeping altogether. It's a white clip that you can get to by sliding the driver's seat all the way back. It's pretty easy to slide off. One clip and it's off.

Another nice thing is the warning light on the dash to fasten your seatbelt also goes off. I haven't found any side effect as of yet.

Don't get me wrong. I wear my seatbelt 100% of the time. I just don't wear it when I'm moving the cars around in the garage and the driveway.

So every time you move your car in the driveway you disconnect that clip? and reconnect it when your about to drive out?

Would'nt it be easier just to latch the seatbelt and just sit on it while you park your car.
Old Oct 10, 2004, 01:36 AM
Evolving Member

He means he leaves it disconnected.
Old Oct 10, 2004, 01:41 AM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by areet
He means he leaves it disconnected.

If he does , I don't think his airbag would work.
Old Oct 10, 2004, 03:53 AM
Evolving Member

Well, if you think about it logically, it thinks the seatbelt is CONNECTED, not disconnected. If the switch was normally open, and closed when the seatbelt was inserted, this mod wouldn't work. It would have to be normally closed, and open when the seatbelt was connected. That when when you disconnect the harness, it's now open, so it thinks the seatbelt is attached. I'll check it tommorow with a dmm, but I'm 100% sure that is how it works, because it worked on my Jeep. It will think the seatbelt is connected, so the airbags would work.
Old Oct 10, 2004, 05:28 AM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by Nad1370
If he does , I don't think his airbag would work.
I would think the airbags go off depending on the area of the car impacted not based on whether or not the seatbelt it fastened or if someone is in that seat.

That would be a huge saftey issue and just one more thing for people to sue over. "I didnt know it was disconnected I got the car like that."
Old Oct 11, 2004, 09:59 AM
Evolving Member

Obviously there are liability issues with this. I only do it because I move cars around the garage a lot. The beeping drives me insane.

I can't hold my head out the window to park the car with the seatbelt on, and I hate that stupid beeping. I don't mind the light.

About the airbag issue, I believe that the system thinks that the seatbelt is fastened all the time. Otherwise, it will not turn off the light, but then again it's a black box so nobody knows. The poster does have a point about accidents and disconnected seatbelts.

There is no sensor in the seat. It's just a little connector in the seatbelt fastener that shorts itself out when it's connected.
Old Oct 11, 2004, 10:04 AM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by g6civcx

Simple fix,

go to a junk yard and find any cut off the seat belt and use the buckle.

Should only cost 3 bucks and takes about 3sec. to install.
Old Oct 11, 2004, 10:08 AM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by schleppy
That may effect the side airbags as well. Just a guess...
Uh, Evo's don't have side airbags.

Quick Reply: Tip: Stop the beeping alert to fasten seatbelt