Notices
Evo How To Requests / Questions / Tips If you're looking for a how-to on something, ask in here.

How-to: Autopower bolt-in rollbar install

Search this Thread

Old May 22, 2005, 02:22 AM
Evolving Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
This is a rollbar, not a rollcage. A minimal rollcage would have beams extending forward from the main hoop, a horizontal bar across the top just behind the windshield, and door beams going from the main hoop to the forward beams. Furthermore in addition to how many "points" the rollcage must have, there will be requirements as to cage material, tubing size and thickness, type of welding and installation (bolt-in vs. welded). Consult the appropriate rulebooks from your racing organization for full details.
Old May 22, 2005, 07:06 PM
Evolved Member

I talkex to the guys from autopower at SEMA today. They said you can buy this and add the extension to make it a full cage. Too meet NHRA rules you just have to weld the end points in instead of drilling.

ERIK
Old May 25, 2005, 03:50 PM
Evolving Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Thanks for the thread - it was very helpful. I added grade 8 bolts - and had the bar powdercoated to match the interior.

IMPORTANT: The bar can only be placed in the car THROUGH THE PASSENGER SIDE - the is because of the cross brace. Dont waste your time trying trough the other side.

Old Jun 1, 2005, 06:24 PM
Evolving Member

Looks nice; not sure about powdercoating--a lot of people won't powdercoat rims because it can weaken them and I wonder if the same might be true for a rollbar. My rollbar is a bit scratched up from me loading and unloading a racing jack into the rear footwell and occasionally hitting the bar, and the IOPort camera mount I have on the diagonal brace put a ton of scratches on the bar since it's metal-on-metal clamped. Ah well, for me the bar is for safety, not show so I don't care. The blue looks good though. :thumbsup:
Old Jul 10, 2005, 03:31 PM
Evolved Member

Which type of roll cage is stronger? A bolt-in cage or a custom welded cage? I'm reffering to the Autopower full bolt-in cage http://www.ioportracing.com/Merchant...ory_Code=AP952 .
Old Jul 11, 2005, 05:57 PM
Evolving Member

Generally a welded cage will be stronger, and a custom one even more so... but it depends who designs the cage and who welds it. If that's the route you decide to take, find someone who has a lot of experience in both.
Old Jul 11, 2005, 06:36 PM
Evolved Member

Thanks vtluu, im really leaning towards a custom weld-in cage with atleast 8 points and front door gaurds. Just not sure where i can find a fabrication shop in my area since im in NYC and NJ area.
Old Jul 15, 2005, 09:32 AM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by vtluu
Looks nice; not sure about powdercoating--a lot of people won't powdercoat rims because it can weaken them and I wonder if the same might be true for a rollbar. My rollbar is a bit scratched up from me loading and unloading a racing jack into the rear footwell and occasionally hitting the bar, and the IOPort camera mount I have on the diagonal brace put a ton of scratches on the bar since it's metal-on-metal clamped. Ah well, for me the bar is for safety, not show so I don't care. The blue looks good though. :thumbsup:
-you don't have to worry about powder coating steel; you only heat to about 450F to melt the powdercoat media, and that won't bother steel.
Old Jul 15, 2005, 12:32 PM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by 'ringmeister
-you don't have to worry about powder coating steel; you only heat to about 450F to melt the powdercoat media, and that won't bother steel.
I'd just worry about the thickness of powdercoating, it tends to hide cracks and fissures. On a bolt-in I wouldn't worry about it, but if you were going to weld it in, I I would just paint it and strip it down every year at the welds and joints to check for problems. Once you make it a stressed piece, it needs to be inspected regularly, something you can't do with a powdercoated part.
Old Jul 15, 2005, 08:24 PM
Evolved Member

Roll cages are street legal?
Old Jul 16, 2005, 01:20 AM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by timmiii
Roll cages are street legal?
I've never heard anything about them being illegal. Not really a good idea to drive regularly around with a rollcage (and without a full race harness and helmet on).

Rollbars are perfectly fine of course.
Old Jul 16, 2005, 09:32 AM
Evolved Member

alright... thanks for the help!
Old Jul 19, 2005, 07:39 PM
Account Disabled

What is the flat bar connecting to the diagonal bar for?
Old Feb 19, 2006, 09:06 AM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by johnnysixer
What is the flat bar connecting to the diagonal bar for?
seat back brace.

i'll bump this thread, was a good informative read before i put mine in this weekend.

Old Feb 19, 2006, 09:29 AM
Evolved Member

WarmPepsi,

How come your roll bar has hinged joints for the horizontal and diagonal braces? vtluu's bar has these joints welded.

Quick Reply: How-to: Autopower bolt-in rollbar install