Notices
Evo How To Requests / Questions / Tips If you're looking for a how-to on something, ask in here.

engine removal, please help.

Search this Thread

Old Aug 27, 2005, 11:32 PM
Evolving Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
engine removal, please help.

anyone know what the best way to approach engine removal is? wheather to remove the entire unit, with transmission, or to do them separately and wheather it's easier to pull them through the top or drop it out the bottom? any help would be much appreciated.
Old Aug 28, 2005, 08:06 AM
Evolved Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
if you can drop it from the bottom, that would be easiest. to do that, you would have to take out the driveshaft behind the t-case.
i pulled mine from the top. i pulled it out as a complete assembly with taking out the drive shaft (its only 4 bolts).
the trick part is, you gotta take it out tilted, engine first. for me, when i hooked up the engine hoist chain to the hoist, i hooked it at about the 1/4 length of the chain towards the timing belt. also you have to remove the drivers side engine mount from the trans.
you have to allow the oil filter housing to clear from the passenger side frame rail before the trans side goes up. this way, you can avoid the driver side engine mount bracket.

how this was helpful. let me know if you need any more help. good luck