Notices
Evo How To Requests / Questions / Tips If you're looking for a how-to on something, ask in here.

How to : repainting Brembo brake calipers?

Search this Thread

Old Oct 13, 2006, 06:34 AM
Evolving Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
How to : repainting Brembo brake calipers?

Has anyone had a problem with the red paint coming off the brake calipers? I may have ruined them with bringing it my to car wash or something. I would like to repaint them myself. Has anyone tried this? If so what products did you use? I did some research about G2 paint, it seems alright. Anyone uses it before? All response are appreciated, thank you.

PS: Show me steps on what you have done. Hundred thanks!
The following users liked this post:
Doohan55 (Feb 16, 2020)
Old Oct 13, 2006, 01:29 PM
Evolved Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Is the red paint coming off or just the clear coat, so they look a little pink? Do a search if it's the latter, there are a couple of threads on how to touch up the clear coat so that the calipers look nice and red again.
Old Oct 13, 2006, 02:04 PM
Evolving Member

you could also have them powdercoated and get a way nicer finish. i did that to mine and they came out mint!
Old Oct 13, 2006, 02:07 PM

powder coat is the way to go
Old Oct 14, 2006, 08:33 PM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by jdm4g63tgalant
you could also have them powdercoated and get a way nicer finish. i did that to mine and they came out mint!
What do u mean by powercoated? Mine turned pink and I plan to take off my rims and spray BLACK color.. Teach me how to do it please?

Mine look like this

Last edited by evoLuzN; Oct 14, 2006 at 08:46 PM.
Old Oct 15, 2006, 05:18 AM
Evolved Member

+1!!! Mine look similar, someone help!
Old Oct 15, 2006, 08:47 AM
Evolved Member

My calipers peeled (like 90% of 03 Evos) and like a big idiot, I sanded them down to the metal to refinish them. They now look horrible. First I used 1500 degree engine enamel and they looked terrible. Then I used this: http://www.tirerack.com/brakes/g2/caliper_paint.jsp and they still look bad. Id LOVE to pull them apart and powdercoat them, however I dont think I could get them back together, and I dont know anyone who could rebuild them for me after I powdercoated them.

Those of you who powdercoated them: how did you rebuild them after?
Old Oct 15, 2006, 08:55 AM
Evolving Member

just go to mitsu direct not the dealer and argue argue argue i got all 4 of mine replaced after arguing for like 6 mos and they rejected me 3 times got all 4 of them and my spoiler done so just call mitsu corp.....thats my advice
Old Oct 15, 2006, 09:02 AM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by 03silevo
just go to mitsu direct not the dealer and argue argue argue i got all 4 of mine replaced after arguing for like 6 mos and they rejected me 3 times got all 4 of them and my spoiler done so just call mitsu corp.....thats my advice

Are you out of warranty? Mine started pealing/bubbling about 25 miles after I clocked over 36K...convenient huh?
Old Oct 15, 2006, 09:14 AM
Evolved Member

Received 45 Likes on 41 Posts
Mine look like hell too. Im just goning to paint mine black when the next brake job comes along
Old Oct 15, 2006, 12:38 PM
Evolving Member

i do admit though i can be a PITA but it's well worth it. to take them apart you'll need to use an air pump or a compressor (i'd say pump-you'll have more control) with a fitting to fit where the brake line would normally go in. then you SLOWLY start to pressurize the caliper and you'll see the the pistons start to come out. the hard part now is making them ALL pop out at the same time otherwise if you get one out there's no way you'll get the other out. (use a wooden block or someting similiar to slide inside to keep them coming out evenly.) if that happens (which it will probably a few times till you get the hang of it) just pop the piston back in and try again.

remove the inside seal (looks like a o-ring) and inspect it. if it's good you can reuse it. more than likely the dust covers will be crap and you have two choices" 1) buy new ones 2) not put them back in. i chose not to put them back in because honestly, i couldnt find them at a decent price back then. never had a problem with leaks, etc and it's been about a year and i figure i'll eventually get a rebuild kit down the road when i need it.

i actually have an extra set of front calipers laying around that i've been trying to sell. if anybody is interested, i can use them as a core exchange to save down time and get those powdercoated for you and you just send me yours back in return. (PM me for details)

here's a pic of mine in candy red:
Old Oct 15, 2006, 12:57 PM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by 03silevo
+1, check with yr local mitsu dealer, u might just be lucky and they fix it for free!!
Old Oct 15, 2006, 01:05 PM
Evolving Member

yeah i have 45000 miles on the car and they are putting the last caliper on tomorrow.......dont try local dealer they will refuse you right away call corp....and just ***** em out and tell them how bad there products and customer service is.....and just keep saying lemme talk to your manager lemme talk to your manager thats what i did and i just *****ed them out til no end and i got my taken care of
Old Oct 15, 2006, 01:08 PM
Evolved Member

just wondering... is it just the 03 have this problem? or is there certain things that cause the peeling problem?
Old Oct 15, 2006, 01:34 PM

I lightly sanded the trouble areas and rhen sprayed them with a hq break cleaner,then with a 1000 grit very lightly sanded the whole caliper and sprayed the caliper again and wiped it off .then i lightly started to spray it with dupli color wheel paint ,the 1st coat is rough like a powder almost you just kind of dust it with paint let it dry about 5min,then go in and even it out to a pro level,,do this in a dry warm area to prevent pitting.I went to a sticker shop and had some negative brembo stickers made and stuck them on and taped around them to cover the exposed caliper ,,u chose the caliper color and brembo color.I did this and it has lasted for over a year..i did silver with blue letters,,i used 6coats of dupli color anodized blue it looks the PART.

Quick Reply: How to : repainting Brembo brake calipers?