Notices
Evo How To Requests / Questions / Tips If you're looking for a how-to on something, ask in here.

Tranny flush and fluid change

Search this Thread

Old Jun 6, 2003, 05:15 PM
Evolving Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Tranny flush and fluid change

For those that have had the tranny flushed and refilled how much did it cost you? (for those that paid to have it done) I'm going to have them flush the tranny with my 5000 mile service. I'm debating on whether or not to have them put my BG synchroshift fluid in at that time. My biggest concern is not whether they would do it cuz they will but rather they actually use my oil I supply.
Any actual way to check that?
Old Jun 6, 2003, 05:18 PM
Evolving Member

Regular Tranny Service cost around 69.00 bucks. I havent changed the fluid in my mitsu. yet, but that was the cost for my last car, at the dealer. BTW the best way to find out would be to call your Mitsu. Service department. They will probably think your crazy for changing it so early but they will be able to tell you if you can supply your own oil.

Last edited by KTRLancer02; Jun 6, 2003 at 05:20 PM.
Old Jun 6, 2003, 08:27 PM
Evolving Member

Well I called and got very mixed answers about everything. They were shocked when asking about a tranny fluid change so early. I told them about people finding metal flakes in the fluid and they tried to pawn it off as being the drivers fault. I asked about using my own fluid for them to change and they said they'll change it if it meets factory standards. Whatever that means. Who's to say what meets and what doesn't. If anything the BG Synchroshift exceeds factory standards with higher heat tolerance, less wear on the tranny parts, easier shifts, etc. Now some have said they do a tranny flush??? How the heck are you doing this? The dealership said they never do tranny flushes only drain and change. I admit I've never done or heard of a flush being done to the tranny.

The dealership also didn't know what was entailed in the 5,000 mile service. This leaves me wondering. They thought only an oil change at that time is due. I said what about the tire rotation and balance, fluid check and cap off, 26 point inspection??? They said only every other oil change is that done. Not according to the manufacturers suggestion. Oh well. I'm tired of dealerships. I seriously think I'm going to just do this crap myself.
Or find a good mechanic to work with.
Old Jun 6, 2003, 10:06 PM

I changed my front transaxle and transmission fluid at 4000 miles and it was full of metal flakes... The magnet on the drain plugs were coated with metal.. The fluid was also VERY dirty. I used Mobil one synthetic gear fluid that matched Mitsu specs and it shifts much better and is quieter. I never had the noise that others have complained about, but I did it as a precaution after all the talk. I noticed a difference.

I may change it again in 5K miles to see what it looks like. It sure can't hurt.
Old Jun 7, 2003, 02:18 PM
Evolved Member

Cdavy- How easy is it to get to the transaxle and transmission fluid drains? I recently changed my oil and rotated the tires, and wish I would have taken a closer look when I had her up on stands.

I have over 4k on my car now and if you were seeing metal particles I am sure the rest of us need to be thinking about this as well.

Maybe a simple step through process for the masses?
Old Jun 7, 2003, 02:40 PM
Evolving Member

I made a request in the install/how to section for the basic maintenance install guides including tranny fluid change. Hopefully someone will see that. I may end up doing mine pretty soon myself and if so I'll post an install guide.
Old Jun 7, 2003, 02:51 PM

Sure! It is really quite easy to change.

You will need about 4 quarts of fluid to change both the front transaxle and the transmission. I used the Mobil one synthetic 75W-90 for both as it meets the requirements for each. It might be better to use the Mitsubishi fluids, your choice. Look in the owner’s manual for the exact amounts and fluid specs.

You will not need to remove any of the plastic shrouds under the car to change these, which is nice.

The transaxle is located close to the oil drain plug, more toward the center of the engine bay under the intake manifold area for a reference. The transmission plugs are located on the driver’s side under the battery area. You can check the on-line manual for the locations if you can’t find them with my descriptions. http://www.mitsubi****echinfo.com/

The drain plugs are 24MM and the fill plugs are 17MM. You will need to remove both plugs to drain the fluid.

1. I suggest remove the fill plug first, which is located above the drain plug.

2. Remove the drain plug and let it drain fully.

3. Clean the magnet on the drain plug and install it remembering to use the aluminum washer.

4. Use a length of rubber hose and feed it down from the topside of the engine bay to eh fill opening and insert it into the fill hole. You will need a few feet of this.

5. Place a funnel on the top of the hose and slowly fill the gear case. The transaxle uses about .58 quarts and I think the transmission is about 3.5 quarts. It will overflow when full.

6. Place the filler plug back remembering to use the aluminum washer.

Done.

Hope that helps!

Chris
Old Jun 7, 2003, 11:31 PM
Evolved Member

cdavy- Nice info thanks!!

I actually envisioned having to pull the plastic shroud off to get to the plugs, so thanks a lot for the detail! It actually sounds pretty straight-forward so I'll probably do mine next weekend.

Someone should transfer this info into the install guide as Evilution mentioned!

Jeff

Old Jun 8, 2003, 05:22 AM
Evolving Member

hi, cdavy can you take some pics of where the fill and drain plugs are? that way it will be alot easier to help ppl like me to find where they are. thank you very much.
Old Jun 8, 2003, 07:59 AM

sure, I will do that as soon as I can.
Old Jun 9, 2003, 04:01 PM
Evolving Member

Originally posted by cdavy
sure, I will do that as soon as I can.
thank you very much
Old Jun 14, 2003, 05:59 PM
Evolving Member

Can we get some pictures and also move this over to the How to/Install section? OR can you just take some pics and rewrite it in the install section? Thanks.
Old Jun 14, 2003, 07:04 PM
Evolving Member

Quick help, where are the fill plugs? I can see the drain plugs clearly from underneath but don't see the fill plugs from under or over. The techinfo page is down. Great friggin timing.
Old Jun 15, 2003, 01:23 PM
Evolved Member

just had my tranny flushed at the dealer, shifting is a little smoother. deceleration noise is still there though
sucks
Old Jun 18, 2003, 04:54 AM
Evolved Member

Do all the drivetrain components use the same 75W-90 fluids? In the manual it says the transaxle uses a GL-4 SAE 75W-90 and the Transfer case uses a GL-5 SAE90. Then the rear ale oil is supposed to use a Hypoid gear oil. So I'm kind of confused as what uses what. The manual I got is the one online and it lacks some pictures when it comes to specs so I'm not sure what it's always talking about.
To summarize, does the front/center/rear diff and tranny all use the same gear oil?

Quick Reply: Tranny flush and fluid change