Notices
Evo How To Requests / Questions / Tips If you're looking for a how-to on something, ask in here.

4 point harness mounting point

Search this Thread

Old Dec 4, 2007, 12:49 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
4 point harness mounting point

I used the search first but in all topics i found the pictures were no longer there so here goes:

I've bought the Sparco harness bar and Sparco 4 point full race FIA aproved seatbelts (I have a friend who races profesionally and i do maintenance jobs for him during races on the car and he just happened to have brand new lying around for a friendly price) for my 2004 EVO VIII. The car is used mainly on the road with some upgrades done, and a few trackdays a year. I know the benefits of being properly strapped in tight when on the race track so went for the bar solution out of practicality.

I have a question though about where to mount the tunnel side beltstrap. I've had a quick look and did not see a straight solution. The original Seatbelt clip is mounted to the seat rail? I cant see it very clearly but that does not seem the best place for the strap to be mounted I want it straight on the chassis.
Using the rail mounting point under the centerconsole is not an option either because of the awkward angle the strap wil make opossed to the strap bracket and the high risk of that installation off cutdamage to the belt because of the angle issue.

Is there a unused stock factory mounting point on the tunnel to use (it is a straight out of the showroom rally car afterall so perhaps they anticipated 4 point harness install ) as a fixing point or do I have to just drill a hole in the tunnel and place a metal plate for reinforcement behind it to bolt the beltstrap bracket in? I'd rather find that out first before puttin a drill through the car Perhaps someone has a picture of a carpet stripped EVO VIII for the aproximate location before cutting up half the carpet.

Thanks in advance