Notices
Evo How To Requests / Questions / Tips If you're looking for a how-to on something, ask in here.

Tie Rods

Search this Thread

Old Feb 15, 2010, 03:06 PM
Evolved Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Tie Rods

I was looking for information on how to replace your tie rod ends, both inner and outer. However i'm not finding much information. I was hoping for step by step instructions. Thx.
Old Feb 15, 2010, 09:11 PM
Evolved Member

no help? I need to do this tomorrow
Old Feb 17, 2010, 11:29 AM
Evolved Member

guess i'll just try it out on my own
Old Feb 19, 2010, 07:10 PM
Evolved Member

I am not responsible for anybody doing this.

Well here is what I learned...

Step 1. To start off doing this job you need to block off your rear tires, jack up your car and put it on jack stands.

Step 2. Remove your tires.

Step 3. Remove the nut holding the tie rod to the hub. After that take a pickle fork tool and insert it right above the boot of the outer tie rod next to the hub. Hit it in until it wedges the outer tie rod off.

Step 4. Next is the removal of the outer tie rod from the inner tie rod. To do this just take two wrenches and loosen the lock nut from the out tie rod. When unscrewing the outer tie rod make sure to count the number of spins it takes to remove it and keep track of this number.

Step 5. Now you need to remove the boot covering the inner tie rod. To do this you have two clamps to remove. The first one is simply just squeeze the tabs on it with some pliers and it comes right off. To remove the next clamp just takes a screwdriver and bend the area that sticks out on it wider and it will become loose. Now you will be able to pull the boot out and off.

Step 6. For this part you will need a special tool. I rented mine from checkers for free. Had to pay for the kit up front and they reimbursed me when I returned it. Just ask for an inner tie rod kit. Anyways there is this locking washer that is bent over the inner tie rod. You will have to bend these two areas back in order to be able to turn the inner tie rod off. After you do this you will be able to use the special tool to turn the inner tie rod off.

Step 7. Now you can install the new inner tie rod. You will need to put the new washer on and make sure to put the tabs on it into the two slits on the shaft that the inner tie rod end screws into. Screw the inner tie rod end in and get it nice and tight. Now you need to bend the new washer over the inner rod like it was on the original. To do this I used some socket extension to reach down through the engine bay to bend one side down. For the other I turned the steering wheel all the way to the side so the inner rod was sticking as far out as possible and came in from the bottom.

Step 8. Reinstall the inner rod covering boot. I just re-bent the inner clamp so that it was nice and tight.

Step 9. Screw the lock nut on and the new out tie rod on the same number of turns it took to get it off. Turn these two against each other nice and tight. I don’t have any torque specs for that, it needs to be tight enough to make it to a shop.

Step 10. Reinstall the outer rod into the hub and put the nut on it at 19 ft/lbs

Step 11. Put your tires back on at I believe 73 ft/lbs

Step 12. Take your car off the jack stands and drive it straight to get a two wheel alignment.

For this job I personally used moog inner and outer tie rod ends. Sorry I didn’t take any pictures. Have fun guys and hope this helps.
Old Apr 18, 2013, 08:19 PM
Evolved Member

good write up, thanks
Old Jun 17, 2013, 12:30 PM

im about to do my tie rods also. gotta say that is a good write up.