Notices
Evo How To Requests / Questions / Tips If you're looking for a how-to on something, ask in here.

Front Sway Bar Install

Search this Thread

Old Nov 2, 2003, 11:33 PM
Evolved Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Front Sway Bar Install

Anybody have any tips on this? Nobody has been able to give me any good answers or how-tos for this?
Old Nov 3, 2003, 01:23 AM
Evolved Member

It's quite a bit of work to replace the front sway bar.
Attached Thumbnails Front Sway Bar Install-swaybar.jpg  
Old Nov 3, 2003, 07:05 AM
Evolved Member

By the way I am currently in the process of changing my clutch and sway bar. Waited to change the sway bar until I did the clutch so I wouldn't have to do all of the work twice.

I have taken the steering wheel out and the clock spring to drop the front cradle, but what is the reason that this has to come out?
Old Nov 3, 2003, 10:19 AM
Evolved Member

Not sure, I haven't looked closely where the front sway bar is located and how it's installed. My guess, it's above the engine support braces that supports steering wheel control and other things.
Old Nov 3, 2003, 12:22 PM
Evolved Member

Wow. Thats a lot of **** to remove. I just bought mine, but I might be slling it since I wont have time to do all that work. Has anybody done it yet? Is all that really necesarry?
Old Nov 3, 2003, 12:26 PM
Evolved Member

From my post earlier, I am currently in the process of doing this install along with the clutch, just need some clarification from somebody that has done it to get the steering rack free of the firewall.

Have seen a few pics on this forum, but want to verify it with someone that has done it first hand.

If you have the time it is not that bad, ie another car to drive, while the evo is down. It is really nice to learn the ins and outs of this car if you are going to go hog wild on mods which I plan on doing. Right now my car is down for the winter while I install a large amount of stuff to get ready for the spring.
Old Dec 18, 2003, 10:30 AM
Former Sponsor

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Post Sway Bar install

This is a detailed "Howto" for installing EVO VIII Sway Bar and Sway Links.

http://vividracing.securesites.net/i...20and%20Tricks

If you need anymore info feel free to PM me or email!
Old Apr 12, 2004, 11:09 PM
Evolving Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
U guys have front sway bar install guide? Step by Step?
Old Apr 12, 2004, 11:12 PM
Evolving Member

Originally posted by kcevo
From my post earlier, I am currently in the process of doing this install along with the clutch, just need some clarification from somebody that has done it to get the steering rack free of the firewall.

Have seen a few pics on this forum, but want to verify it with someone that has done it first hand.

If you have the time it is not that bad, ie another car to drive, while the evo is down. It is really nice to learn the ins and outs of this car if you are going to go hog wild on mods which I plan on doing. Right now my car is down for the winter while I install a large amount of stuff to get ready for the spring.

did u install it yet?
Old Apr 13, 2004, 07:13 AM
Evolved Member

Originally posted by han74j

did u install it yet?
Yeah, what do you need to know?
Old Apr 13, 2004, 08:38 AM
Evolving Member

what do u need to take out??? cause i pretty much took the sway bar off (take teh bolts off) but then i read taht u need to take out all these ****... so what do i need to take out in order for me to change the sway bar? thankx kcevo!
Old Apr 13, 2004, 08:43 AM
Evolved Member

Originally posted by han74j
what do u need to take out??? cause i pretty much took the sway bar off (take teh bolts off) but then i read taht u need to take out all these ****... so what do i need to take out in order for me to change the sway bar? thankx kcevo!
You have to drop the front cradle out to change the front sway bar. So you have to remove the power steering lines that run to the pump and reseovoir on the passenger side of the engine bay. Lock the steering wheel in place and mark the shaft with chalk or something where it will disconnect so that when you put it back in it is lined up. If you have the service manual it has great pics of everything that needs to come out. Here is a pic while it was off of the car and the new sway bar installed.

Last edited by kcevo; Apr 13, 2004 at 08:46 AM.
Old Apr 13, 2004, 10:04 AM
Former Sponsor

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Dont have a front one. But if you need assistance we can walk you through it on the phone!
Old Apr 13, 2004, 10:14 AM
WFO

Am I just confused, or is the last part of your install instructions, the part that explains the adjustment, don't you have understeer and oversteer backwards in your explaination?

Old Jun 6, 2010, 07:33 PM

I just did the front bar on my IX and can offer some help.
1. Take off the belly pan
2. Remove down pipe and support the rest of the exhaust
3. Remove the bolt at the front of the valve cover that holds the power steering pressure hose down, and slide the return hose out of it's bracket on the fender well. When you lower the crossmember you will need the slack on both lines that this will provide.
4. Remove the support that goes forward/back that has the front motor mount on it too. The one that stops the engine from torqueing forward to back. Then remove only the bolt and nut from the mount behind the engine that is almost directly above the crossmember. You'll need to remove the LF wheel to get access to this rear mount, and remove the RF wheel too, it will help to get the bar out of the car.
5. Get to the steering rack to column mount under the dash. I thought this was the worst part of the job, expecially if you are doing this by yourself. Remove the pinch bolt from the splined rack connection. Then turn the wheel a bit so you see the opening in the splines. A better explanation is turn it so that if the bolt wasn't removed, it would be 90 degrees to you. You will see a small round divot on the rack, it is in perfect alignment with the slotted female column mount. It eliminates the need to mark it with a felt pen is all I'm trying to say, a little time saved.
6. Now loosen the 2 rear bolts and the 2 front nuts that hold the crossmember up. I couldn't find another way to do this, other than lower the crossmember and have somebody wiggle and lift up on that connection, while the crossmember was being carefully lowered by a 2nd person. I did this by myself on a lift. Lowered the member a little bit, climbed a ladder (my car was on a lift) and reach in to wiggle, lift up on that rack connection. Good news is that the male to female splined connection is loose with the bolt out. With 2 people you can do this much easier. All the person inside the cabin has to do is keep things in alignment, wiggle that rack connection a bit, as the person below lowers the crossmember very slowly. Installation on this is just the opposite. There is an upper splined connection on the column that makes it look like you can move a spring clamp up the column, and then compress that splined area to move the shaft up and away from the rack, all without doing anything with the crossmember below. I wasted a lot of time trying to do it that way, can't be done as far as I know. You have to deal directly with the column to rack male/female splined connection and that pinch bolt.
7. Have all crossmember bolts out, and the end links disconnected from the bar too. With 2 people you'll have lowered the crossmember a couple inches. Enough to get the rack loose from that splined connection, but not enough to get the bar down enough to get to the sway bar brackets. I found I should have just lowered the crossmember almost all the way, to gain a bit easier access to the sway bar brackets. So I recommend lowering that crossmember straight down as much as possible. The front studs from the frame rail will help some with this. All the while, grab and feel for play in both the PS hoses, lower the crossmember enough so you still have a bit of play. When you get there, the bar brackets should be easy to get to, and once out the bar will have enough room to be removed from the car with minimal hassle.
8. When installing the bar, pay attention to the center area of the bar where is makes close contact with the crossmember, more importantly there is a metal pipe with a black protective sheathing on it about the diameter of a pencil. I believe this is PS rack intermediate pipe. Bend it and it's support up a bit to gain just a little clearence is all you need.
9. Don't put somebody in charge of that floor jack that thinks it would be fun to rotate the handle and see what happens. My helper did that, all weight of the crossmember was on the PS lines for a very short time until I climbed down the ladder to reposition it like I had it perfectly set up just seconds before. Good news is I had that crossmember pretty far down already, so the lines were taught but no too tight so the extra weight wasn't too sudden, and I don't have any leaks. Like I said earlier, you can lower the rack by yourself, but it's much easier to have a 2nd person on installation help you raise the crossmember, and you in the car aligning the male/female rack connection.

Quick Reply: Front Sway Bar Install