Notices
Evo How To Requests / Questions / Tips If you're looking for a how-to on something, ask in here.

I had posted this message in the wrong thread before (question regarding Mani)

Search this Thread

Old Apr 29, 2016, 04:07 PM
Evolving Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I had posted this message in the wrong thread before (question regarding Mani)

Hi guys,

I require some assistance regarding the difficulty and the involvement/effort required to replace the OEM (non JDM EGR/Anti-lag) Exhaust manifold with an aftermarket Tubular stock frame manifold.

I am aware and have read the 'Sticky - Exhaust Mani - How To' but wonder if some of the steps could be avoided

(Step 3: Take off all bolts that connects the manifold to the block total of 9 bolts! there are 2 on the side, 4 on top, 3 on the bottom. The bottom bolts is kind of hard to see you will need a extension on the right one!

Take of the 4 nuts thats connected the manifold to the turbo!)

for e.g after removing the x9 'nuts' at the cylinder Head & 4 bolts to the turbo (At the turbo, it appears to be x2 bolts facing down on the inner side and x2 nuts on studs on the outer side towards the radiator)

Can the following steps be avoided?:

(Step 4: Jack up the car

Step 5: Take off the lower arm bar + down pipe

Step 5.1: For stock lower arm bars, there are 4 bolts that is connects the 2 bars to the body, just un-bolt those and take off the lower arm bar.

Step 5.2: For DP, there are 2 bolts that is connected to the cat, take those off. There are 2 bolts that is connected to the 02 housing, take those off! Theres also 2 bolts thats holding the dp on the hangers! take those off.)

I believe this one would be necessary:

(Step 6: there is a L shape bracket that is that is holding the 02 housing > turbo > manifold, you just need to take off the bolt that is connected to the body. )

The reason I am asking is that, my regular custom fabricator/exhaust shop is extremely busy and recently when I called him, he sounded very unhelpful and disinterested ( I assume its due to a high work load).
I'm contemplating on whether Its easy enough to do this myself, so I seek your experiences and advice prior to any attempts

To be painfully honest, I am not keen on jacking the car up, removing the undertray (These Laile Beatrush undertrays are a real pain to take off without any quick release fixings), undoing downpipes and/or catalytic converters. (sometimes exhaust gaskets are ruined/rendered useless when disturbed)

Would there be enough play to slide the manifold out by available play just by removing the 9 nuts to the head and the nuts + bolts on the turbo??? (would flexing the entire exhaust cause damage?)

The only restriction I can see are the vertical turbo studs on the outer side towards the radiator on the turbo which are pretty tall.

If not possible, then Ill definitely reconsider doing this myself and may wait for the professional fabricator to get it done with his hoist etc.

Thanks in advance.
Old Apr 30, 2016, 07:20 PM
Evolving Member

Anyone?

Surely one of the most commonly replaced part on an 4G63/CT9A, users can provide some advice on this?
Old May 1, 2016, 10:19 AM
Evolved Member

Received 121 Likes on 105 Posts
My experience is based on installing a tubular FF manifold. Had to remove the downpipe to get the manifold at an angle to where it could come off the head.

Basically. If everything on the bottom is still connected there is way less room for you to angle your tubular manifold to get it to fit.
Old May 2, 2016, 02:03 AM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by deylag
My experience is based on installing a tubular FF manifold. Had to remove the downpipe to get the manifold at an angle to where it could come off the head.

Basically. If everything on the bottom is still connected there is way less room for you to angle your tubular manifold to get it to fit.

Thanks for responding Deylag.

I figured that would be the case, hence querying prior to attempting and stumbling onto surprises.

Is it recommended to replace all gaskets associated with this task? e.g Manifold, turbo & downpipe gaskets? or can they be re-used if in good condition with gasket compound/sealant glue?

Lastly, have you noticed any changes/differences in exhaust tone from the OEM log style to a Tubular/extractor/ header manifold; was it louder or produce a slightly different tone for e.g?

Thanks again.