EvolutionM - Mitsubishi Lancer and Lancer Evolution Community

EvolutionM - Mitsubishi Lancer and Lancer Evolution Community (https://www.evolutionm.net/forums/)
-   Evo How To Requests / Questions / Tips (https://www.evolutionm.net/forums/evo-how-requests-questions-tips-112/)
-   -   How to create a stealthy interior, black. (https://www.evolutionm.net/forums/evo-how-requests-questions-tips/214764-how-create-stealthy-interior-black.html)

sleet Jun 18, 2006 12:25 PM

How to create a stealthy interior, black.

Well I grew very bored with my interior, the fact that some of the trim peices didn't match. The majority of the interior is black, but yet some sections of the interior were a grey color. So I decided to paint them black and match them with the rest of the interior, enjoy.

Tools you'll need:
  • Exacto knife
  • Painters tape
  • Screw driver(Philips and flat)
  • Dupli-Color Vinyl & Fabric paint
  • Ventaliated area to paint/dry
  • Patience

1. First your going to have to remove the interior peices you wish to paint, I decided I wanted to paint my A-pillars, the peice around the foglight, the peice around the radio, and lastly the long peice that holds the clock. If you know how to already remove these peices then just skip this, if not then continue reading.

Remove A-pillars:

To do this you can use a flat head screw driver, simply place the screw driver at the top of the pillar and pull it back enough to get a finger behind it. Then slowly pull on the pillar while sliding down towards the windsheild, there are 2-3 clips holding it in. Don't be afriad to pull a bit, but remember this isn't the world strongest man contest.

Remove the peice around the foglight:

To remove this peice you are going to have to remove the plastic outline around the cluster. You will see two screws at the top, they required a philips to remove. Once you remove those that peice you will have access to removing the peice around the foglight. Simply pull the side, again don't be afriad to pull but don't go crazy with it. Once you've pulled the peice from the clips, unplus the harness connecting to the sidemirrors controller and the foglight switch. To remove the button/switch from the interior peice, you will need a small flat head. On top of the switch/button you will see a slight tab that is holding the peice in, slide the flathead in there to lift it enough to pull the button/switch out.

Remove peice around the radio:

The easiest one to remove, simply pull on the three AC knobs, they'll come right off. Behind the outside two knobs you'll see a screw, use a philips screwdriver and remove them. Now your going to have to use the holes from where the knobs were to pull the peice out. If this is the first time removing this peice you might have to tug a good bit, again don't go crazy.

Remove peice around clock:

Last but not least, after you've taken off the peice covering the radio you'll see two screws holding this peice on. Remove them with a philips screw driver. Now your going to have to pull from the left side and move to the right, go slow. There are a good amount of clips on this one so don't be afriad when you here a bunch of pops. Also don't rip it right off because the clock and hazard button are connected.

By now if you've followed everything as said your car should look somthing like this :lol:

http://img337.imageshack.us/img337/1874/img04945pz.jpg

2. Now that you've got all the peices out of the car you'll need to wash them, make sure the surface of the plastic is clean/dry so the paint will stick. I used some paper towels with a bit of soap on them, I ran the paper towel over all the peices and then dried them with a towel.

3. Time for the best part, painting. So grab your paint:

http://img337.imageshack.us/img337/1825/img04847ia.jpg

And find a nice spot you'll be able to paint in, I chose my driveway and I laid down some paper with a box, like so:

http://img369.imageshack.us/img369/8051/img04850fs.jpg

First we'll start off with the A-pillars, I applied 3 coats and let each coat dry for about 5-10 minutes before spraying the next one. The final result should look somthing like this:

http://img337.imageshack.us/img337/9707/img04878jh.jpg

Next we'll paint the peice around the radio, this is where you're going to need the exacto knife and painters tape. Since this peice has the climate controls on it, you'll need to mask them off so you don't paint of them. Take the painters tape and apply a peice over the circle, use your nail and press down to outline the circle of the climate control. Use the exacto knife to cutout the circle and leave it there to mask. When your done it should look somthing like this:

http://img369.imageshack.us/img369/5534/img04925hi.jpg

Now that you've got that peice masked off, we'll move onto the next peice, the area around the clock. On this one you need to turn the peice over and you'll see that the AC vents/clock are all one peice and screwed on. Simply get a philips head and remove the screws:

http://img314.imageshack.us/img314/2503/img04962ik.jpg

Now it's time to paint the rest of the peices. For these peices I only did 2 coats, I didn't feel the need for the third and they came out very good IMO, here they are:

Before:

http://img314.imageshack.us/img314/4594/img04955hb.jpg

After:

http://img314.imageshack.us/img314/4821/img04971co.jpg

That's pretty much it for the painting section, you can clear the peices if you want them to shine a bit. Although I didn't want that because none of the other peices have gloss. I let the peices all dry out for a few hours before putting them back into the car.

Now once you've put them back into the car it should look somthing like this:

http://img302.imageshack.us/img302/3720/img04996lz.jpg

http://img314.imageshack.us/img314/5297/img05002sk.jpg

http://img314.imageshack.us/img314/4607/img05030ey.jpg

http://img314.imageshack.us/img314/7872/img05050fv.jpg

http://img302.imageshack.us/img302/3057/img05075gx.jpg

http://img314.imageshack.us/img314/7396/img05086af.jpg

http://img314.imageshack.us/img314/8379/img05105vp.jpg

I hope this writeup helps, if you've got any further questions please let me know. I'd be more than happy to help {thumbup}

RenoEvo Jun 18, 2006 12:29 PM

I'm assuming thats the flat black?

sleet Jun 18, 2006 12:44 PM

Originally Posted by RenoEvo
I'm assuming thats the flat black?

It only says black.

ScrappyJack Jun 18, 2006 01:09 PM

Any sort of part number or color code (other than just "black") on the can or receipt?

lil'evil_evo Jun 18, 2006 01:11 PM

very nice sleet, but now you need to get the IX steering wheel.

Amazin' Wasian Jun 18, 2006 02:03 PM

u didnt prep the parts before painting them? that wont last long.... especially on the radio trim......looks nice tho...i just didnt my interior...

-nick

revvin9k Jun 18, 2006 02:08 PM

Originally Posted by Amazin' Wasian
u didnt prep the parts before painting them? that wont last long.... especially on the radio trim......looks nice tho...i just didnt my interior...

-nick

Exactly what I was thinking. You should've used some type of sand paper to allow the paint to adhere better. Even though it looks great, your finger nail can take that paint right off. Especially on the smoother surfaces like around the clock and radio.

RenoEvo Jun 18, 2006 02:12 PM

^I would have used sand paper and adhesion promoter to make it last for a long time.

jkim2001 Jun 18, 2006 02:16 PM

I'd say hands down this is the most blackest TB evo I have ever seen. Are you goth? :)

sleet Jun 18, 2006 02:18 PM

Originally Posted by ScrappyJack
Any sort of part number or color code (other than just "black") on the can or receipt?

It just says color matches cap and the cap is black.

sleet Jun 18, 2006 02:19 PM

Originally Posted by Amazin' Wasian

-nick

Yeah, apparently this paint is made for this kinda stuff and doesn't need any primer or anything. I was also short on time so I just did it up. Worse comes to worse if it does peel, scratch or whatever it'll be an easy fix. It would take another maybe 30 minutes to re-do everything.

fromWRXtoEVO Jun 18, 2006 02:24 PM

Sleet,

Your car looks fanthastic in and out. I just noticed you haven't mentioned primer on your list. Also you must ensure the paint is specifically for plastics.

The paint for plastic surfaces allows the paint coating to flex once is dry. That was just my observation and suggestions but again your car looks very very nice.{thumbup}

Carlos

en1gma19 Jun 18, 2006 02:25 PM

Do the steering wheel too and it will loook much better. Looks good though, nice job.

celerilux Jun 18, 2006 02:26 PM

Your Evolution looks great in that last shot

sleet Jun 18, 2006 02:37 PM

Originally Posted by fromWRXtoEVO
Sleet,

Your car looks fanthastic in and out. I just noticed you haven't mentioned primer on your list. Also you must ensure the paint is specifically for plastics.

The paint for plastic surfaces allows the paint coating to flex once is dry. That was just my observation and suggestions but again your car looks very very nice.{thumbup}

Carlos

Yeah, this paint is specifically for the interior of cars, dashboards and all of that. We'll see how it holds up for now.

As for everyone refering to painting the steering wheel, maybe i'll give it a try. But first I have to figure how to remove it :lol:

en1gma19 Jun 18, 2006 07:04 PM

removing the steering wheel is easy. There is only one allen bolt that holds it on. There is a hole on the bottom part of the steering wheel plastic piece. Just unscrwe that allen bolt and pull the steering wheel of. Very easy.

I did mine, and it really changes the look of the interior. Looks much better IMHO.

Spaceball 1 Jun 18, 2006 07:11 PM

Just have the center console left.

SterlingEvo Jun 18, 2006 07:17 PM

I like it a lot.

inco9nito99 Jun 18, 2006 07:33 PM

Pictures dont show up for me :(

Amazin' Wasian Jun 18, 2006 07:53 PM

Originally Posted by sleet
Yeah, apparently this paint is made for this kinda stuff and doesn't need any primer or anything. I was also short on time so I just did it up. Worse comes to worse if it does peel, scratch or whatever it'll be an easy fix. It would take another maybe 30 minutes to re-do everything.

yeah it will be a very easy fix, but it most likely will chip over time...

-nick

sleet Jun 18, 2006 08:26 PM

Originally Posted by en1gma19
removing the steering wheel is easy. There is only one allen bolt that holds it on. There is a hole on the bottom part of the steering wheel plastic piece. Just unscrwe that allen bolt and pull the steering wheel of. Very easy.

I did mine, and it really changes the look of the interior. Looks much better IMHO.

Got any pictures of your painted one?

sleet Jun 18, 2006 08:28 PM

Originally Posted by Spaceball 1
Just have the center console left.

I actually did that one tonight but it got damaged trying to put it back into the car :(

I'll try to finish it tomorrow and i'll post some pics, anyone know how to remove the B pillars with the seatbelts?

celerilux Jun 19, 2006 10:22 AM

Can you post more pics of your Evolution and what % tint do you have on the windows?

EVOIXMR8916 Jun 19, 2006 12:27 PM

now that stealth is perfect man id consider that a hitmans car rather than a street preformance machine. but damn thats the hottest black evo ive seen on here to this date. im loving those engies in black too.

en1gma19 Jun 19, 2006 02:43 PM

Got any pictures of your painted one?

Yep, not a close up, but you get the idea.

http://www.we-todd-did-racing.com/we...ZkMzF5NTQx.jpg

If you want a better one let me know.

Silk Jun 19, 2006 02:57 PM

You should do the center counsel as well {thumbup}

SE7EN Jun 19, 2006 03:09 PM

...one of my friends did this on his wrx...only he also did the material on the roof also...he redid his interior....he went out and purchased everything fabric and all for about 60 bucks...and it came out clean...very stock looking ill get fotos and post them around the weeken..he works nights and i work days...so we cant really meet up till friday...ill keep you guys posted...im thinking of doing my roof also ...i dont like the white looking cheap fabric on the roof board...ill show u guys it looks clean

th3_rEv8lution Jun 19, 2006 04:14 PM

sleet that looks incredible! very nice work! im gonna do that the first chance i get, probably this weekend. You should get the black IX seats or the SSL sleets to finish up the all black look. Just my thoughts. thanks for the write up! {thumbup}

th3_rEv8lution Jun 19, 2006 04:48 PM

Also, do you know how to take out the transmission housing, b-pillars, and the pillars in the very back to paint them as well?

dzuest Jun 19, 2006 04:53 PM

Excellent job. I've always loved your car :: cough Jealousy cough::

I'd love to stealth one of those new Black MR's. Lucky me December is fast approaching so the dream is becoming a reality.

Once again great work.

thetox Jun 19, 2006 05:01 PM

are those evodave headlights? i <3 the way they look...i think im gonna do my interior like yours and see how it matches with the carbon fiber pieces

sleet Jun 23, 2006 06:20 PM

Originally Posted by celerilux
Can you post more pics of your Evolution and what % tint do you have on the windows?

Click the links in my sig, 15% tint.

sleet Jun 23, 2006 06:20 PM

Originally Posted by en1gma19
Yep, not a close up, but you get the idea.

http://www.we-todd-did-racing.com/we...ZkMzF5NTQx.jpg

If you want a better one let me know.

That looks great, did you do any prep to the metal?

sleet Jun 23, 2006 06:21 PM

Originally Posted by Silk
You should do the center counsel as well {thumbup}

It's done now, i'll get updated pictures once i'm back in town.

sleet Jun 23, 2006 06:22 PM

Originally Posted by thetox
are those evodave headlights? i <3 the way they look...i think im gonna do my interior like yours and see how it matches with the carbon fiber pieces

Yes, Evodave did the headlights.

sleet Jun 23, 2006 06:23 PM

Thanks for all the compliments everyone, makes this all worth while :)

BlackLancer2k2 Jun 23, 2006 06:39 PM

that looks bad ass....all black is so sexy IMO...

TeamAccolade Jun 24, 2006 01:06 AM

even if it says no prep needed, ya still should, i used krylon plastic paint, i scuffed my interior and its help for the last year.

zachissak Jul 16, 2006 03:14 PM

I do custom interiors on the side for some extra cash and I LOVE Duplicolor for plastic parts and cloth but for the vinyl I use Moleculbond because it leaves more of a nice satin finish that looks alot more factory. The best part about the dye is that you dont have to worry about it matching up if you put another coat on it because it all dries the same and you can't tell if you sprayed it or not if you did it good the first time.

DruMMinStUd06 Aug 4, 2006 10:22 AM

looks clean on a TB...but i think im gonna keep my MR CF goodies the way they are :lol:

EV0lved Aug 13, 2006 02:20 AM

OMG I love the all black look on teh EVO its so badass, damn thats hella tight looking. Did you have the stock rims sand blasted and painted black? Im doing my other stock set this week for about $450 it should look nice on mine(although its silver)

Evo8yurAMG Aug 13, 2006 02:32 AM

im doing it tomorrow....i really like the whole night rider look...i want everything black including my brembos. but first thing is first blue inserts in the seats and dash and panels. looks good

DrunkMunkyStyle Aug 14, 2006 06:02 AM

We tried the Dupli-Color interior paint on my GF's SRT-4 first and it doesn't hold up that well. It chips and flakes off even after the surface was prepped. We like the Krylon Fusion plastic paint much better for the interior pieces. She was going to use the Dupli-Color on the headliner but decided not to after seeing how bad it chipped from the pillars. We are in the process of getting fabric to recover her headliner and do it the right way. I am doing my Evo next.

Thanks for the write up!

ShtrMcGavin Aug 14, 2006 09:38 AM

I had never thought of doing that.. It looks really good though

th3_rEv8lution Aug 16, 2006 11:41 AM

anyone know what to use to remove this paint? lets just say it didn't go as well as hoped when i painted my pieces and now i have to remove the paint and redo it.

akunochi Aug 16, 2006 01:56 PM

Paint thinner will probably work. Make sure you take your time. I did the pieces yesterday and they came out great. I am going to do my center hub, B and C pillars tonight I think. Still contemplating the steering wheel.

Evo8yurAMG Aug 16, 2006 02:00 PM

ok...so i did the same thing after i saw your evo....everything is perfect except one dang piece. for some reason it wont take the paint... damn it!!!!

akunochi Aug 17, 2006 08:30 AM

what piece? I have done everything except my headliner now. Maybe I can help.

I'mStock Aug 17, 2006 08:38 AM

I still need to get pics up, huh? :lol:

akunochi Aug 17, 2006 12:05 PM

Can't figure out how to remove steering wheel. What allen wrench bolt????

EVOLUTION Vlll Aug 24, 2006 07:04 PM

does it get scratched easily?

kingman4 Aug 25, 2006 01:53 PM

that looks absolutely sexsi

evo8426 Aug 29, 2006 07:08 PM

everyone PM your pics if you have done this mod so i have an idea about what it will look like completely black including the headliner

J8dailo Sep 5, 2006 08:41 PM

i did this with house of kolor pearl black paint and it turned out really bad...paint was too expensive and i was in a hurry...paint chipped already....need to redo

i used adhesive promoter, primer, color coat and clear coat (many layers) ...it chipped after it dried...i wet sanded everything too...kind of disapointed...i think its because i didn't allow enough time for it to dry

ries Sep 5, 2006 08:51 PM

Originally Posted by aryder
everyone PM your pics if you have done this mod so i have an idea about what it will look like completely black including the headliner

where in NC are you???

If your close to Fayetteville you can see mine anytime. Everything is blacked out - dash pieces, center console, a/b/& c pillars. everything except the headliner. Still unsure how to take it out :confused: and kinda scared too :eek:

PM me and Ill give you my cell # if your interested in seeing the interior in person

SE7EN Sep 25, 2006 10:34 AM

Originally Posted by akunochi
what piece? I have done everything except my headliner now. Maybe I can help.

do you know how to do the headliner, a friend of mine did his with velvet black and look sick. used a fabric adhesive spray tried a couple and finnaly found one that works best on headliners.

SE7EN Sep 25, 2006 10:35 AM

oh...i did the same thing only i was told to use a paint promotor and it just messed up the whole damn dash...it broke up the original paint and cracked it looks nasty...so now im on the market for some used ones so i can try again...or just buy cf ones

SE7EN Sep 25, 2006 10:37 AM

ill take pictures of my friends WRX with the whole dash blacked out and even the black headliner...should post up by the weeken....since we both work 2nd shift jobs

zachissak Sep 25, 2006 03:43 PM

+1 for the Duplicolor, LOOOOOVE their products, have used it on every car I have owned to make a custom interior. i charge 300$ to do peoples' interiors in different colors and if you can spray paint you have it made because there is little to NO prep.

evoate ya Sep 25, 2006 04:31 PM

Sleet, curious to know how your interior is holding up? Or anyone who has done this for that matter. Im gonna go ahead and do it, Im just interested in seeing how it is holding up against scratching and chipping.

HassounEVO Oct 2, 2006 11:57 AM

For anybody looking to do this to their interior. I attempted to do this yesterday without any prep (sanding, primer, etc.) to the surface. I tested the little piece of trim around the foglight switch first to see how it would come out. After the 2nd coat of spray paint, i noticed the paint kept cracking. I then removed the Spray paint and realized the original grayish paint on the trim was cracking and peeling causing the spray paint i had just applied to crack. I ended up stripping the spray paint and sanding the original grayish paint off with 400 grit, then 800 grit, then 1000 grit. I then sprayed 6 thin coats of the spray paint to make it look just right; it ended up coming out PERFECT. Very DURABLE and clean looking finish. So for anyone looking to do this, I HIGHLY RECOMMEND STRIPPING THE ORIGINAL GRAYISH PAINT OFF FIRST, THEN SAND!! Then spray paint. BTW, the color on the cap says "Flat Black" for those wondering. Hope this helps people looking to do it in the future.

SE7EN Oct 2, 2006 12:00 PM

Originally Posted by th3_rEv8lution
anyone know what to use to remove this paint? lets just say it didn't go as well as hoped when i painted my pieces and now i have to remove the paint and redo it.

yeah i had that same thing happen...im going to try thinner or some crap called goof off for when u mess up when u paint....other than that...nope how about sand and re prep and repaint? or i will get cf ones

SE7EN Oct 2, 2006 12:02 PM

Originally Posted by HassounEVO
For anybody looking to do this to their interior. I attempted to do this yesterday without any prep (sanding, primer, etc.) to the surface. I tested the little piece of trim around the foglight switch first to see how it would come out. After the 2nd coat of spray paint, i noticed the paint kept cracking. I then removed the Spray paint and realized the original grayish paint on the trim was cracking and peeling causing the spray paint i had just applied to crack. I ended up stripping the spray paint and sanding the original grayish paint off with 400 grit, then 800 grit, then 1000 grit. I then sprayed 6 thin coats of the spray paint to make it look just right; it ended up coming out PERFECT. Very DURABLE and clean looking finish. So for anyone looking to do this, I HIGHLY RECOMMEND STRIPPING THE ORIGINAL GRAYISH PAINT OFF FIRST, THEN SAND!! Then spray paint. BTW, the color on the cap says "Flat Black" for those wondering. Hope this helps people looking to do it in the future.

yup...i preped the radio piece but not the long piece by the vents...that one cracked ...still leaving it for a nother weeken job

th3_rEv8lution Oct 7, 2006 06:39 PM

Originally Posted by SE7EN
yeah i had that same thing happen...im going to try thinner or some crap called goof off for when u mess up when u paint....other than that...nope how about sand and re prep and repaint? or i will get cf ones

what grit sandpaper should i use? i was thinking of 800 and then 1200.

DreamLike1 Oct 18, 2006 12:23 AM

wow, WOW... this truly makes the Evo interior look 600 times better IMO.. there is no doubt I will eventually do this. NICE work it should have come like this from the factory

sinajoon5 Oct 18, 2006 02:15 PM

Originally Posted by DreamLike1
wow, WOW... this truly makes the Evo interior look 600 times better IMO.. there is no doubt I will eventually do this. NICE work it should have come like this from the factory

agreed

scott yo Oct 18, 2006 02:17 PM

your evo is so dark!

CarFanatic Oct 18, 2006 02:30 PM

whats the trick to masking the circles in the dash pannel?

DanJ Oct 18, 2006 10:55 PM

I like the black interior.

I'mStock Oct 19, 2006 09:49 PM

Originally Posted by CarFanatic

Pull out the stickers, then put them back on once the paint has dried. {thumbup}

btung423 Oct 19, 2006 10:04 PM

that is one angry tb evo, very nice :)

CarFanatic Oct 20, 2006 06:09 AM

Originally Posted by I'mStock
Pull out the stickers, then put them back on once the paint has dried. {thumbup}

what??? they wont stick again.. your kidding right?

I'mStock Oct 29, 2006 01:33 PM

what??? they wont stick again.. your kidding right?

I've taken mine of 4 times, and they still stick great.

Spend the money on new ones if you want to, but the original ones aren't gonna magically become un-sticky because you peel them off.

sleet Oct 29, 2006 02:21 PM

All you do is tape ove the circle and then use an exacto knife to cut out the circles, read the writeup :lol:

sleet Oct 29, 2006 02:22 PM

Thanks to everyone for the comments, I think i'm going to do a part two pretty soon as i've painted the B and C pillars plus i'm going to do the steering wheel soon.

Also i'm debating on weither or not to do my seats :)

epEVO Feb 3, 2007 10:33 PM

nice work im looking forward to seeing part 2.

kmcconn9 Feb 25, 2007 07:13 PM

How has the paint been holding up? I think I am just going to do everything at once and sand/prime everything. I will then rewrap the headliner...

TURBevO8 Feb 26, 2007 10:44 AM

Just had this emailed to me and all I can say is WOW! I think I'm gonna do it!

kmcconn9 Feb 26, 2007 07:52 PM

so whats the paint of choise for these plastic parts...

Krylon Fusion
Duplicolor fabric and vynl

both manufactures say that the only prep that is needed is to clean the surfaces...

epEVO Apr 8, 2007 03:52 PM

good question, how is krylon fusion

Baker07 Apr 19, 2007 11:34 AM

thats a really good looking evo. love the black all the way around. good job on the interior, too.

ElectricEvoIX Apr 19, 2007 12:59 PM

I followed this write up and did my entire enterior headliner and all. Took about 7 cans of paint to do but it came out b!tchin!! nothing like an comepletely black interior. I just wiped down the surfaces very clean, i've heard using rubbing alcohol works very well. But about 4 coats for every piece and that's it. Getting the headliner out of the car was a PITA but it came out great. I'm hoping to get some pics up by this weekend.

EVO8904 Apr 19, 2007 03:11 PM

I am in the process of painting the dash pieces and it is not coming out well..... Paint is spreading on me. I do understand, I painted my rims fine. Pepboys did not have flat so I am using semi gloss...

EVO8904 Apr 19, 2007 03:54 PM

Yep, I suck at painting, I have now f*cked my trim up. I am now going to take it to a body shop.

ddddddana Apr 19, 2007 03:59 PM

bit too much black for me, but clean work. {thumbup}

biggie5252 Apr 24, 2007 08:50 PM

Wash the parts in hot water (as hot as you can stand) with some diswashing soap (dawn, etc) to remove finger grease, mold release, etc. That's what I do and I've never had a problem with paint sticking. Just make sure it's COMPLETELY dry before you paint it.

StlEvo05 May 30, 2007 05:02 PM

I would have to imagine that mineral spirits would work too, since you are cleaning and preping the surface at the same time.

Dosagex Jun 8, 2007 08:55 AM

thats actually prett damn nice.

Dosagex Jun 8, 2007 08:56 AM

good pics.

TacoKat Jul 20, 2007 05:13 PM

What pedals do you have in your pictures, I like. And I did this myself, turned out great, now I have to do the B and C pillars to match.

Lancelot23 Aug 7, 2007 07:48 AM

Lancer Es, Evo Wannabe

i have a lancer ES. and i have ugly grey interior with woodgrain dash, but i just bought some evo dash peices from someone. i want to paint the stock grey parts black so it makes the evo stuff look better, cuz it doesnt match at all right now. here's a pic.

http://i41.photobucket.com/albums/e2...r/DSCN6430.jpg

http://i41.photobucket.com/albums/e2...r/DSCN6431.jpg

i want to paint the areas around the radio piece, around the shift knob, the cubby hole, glove box, pillars, change drawer left of steering wheel, etc. but the plastic is not smooth. its like "leather". so i guess i cant sand it? or else i will loose that "leather" look. you think i should go with the Fusion interior plastic paint? black? or glossy black?

also im buying a evo steering wheel. so it will get rid of my big ass grey steering wheel. and then eventually seats, black ceiling, and black carpet. but those are only dreams right now.

HELP ME OUT!

TomTomTuning Aug 7, 2007 08:06 AM

Wow, that has to be one of my fav looking cars man... nice work.. real nice work.

I notice that an Evo9 at CBRD had a CF trim, the one around the Clock, i dont know if it was OEM or not but i liked it.

scotdw6 Aug 29, 2007 07:16 PM

Sleet, I've seen your avatar for years but those pics show just how insane your Evo looks--so badass. did you do your seats, yet? Very interested to see how they come out. The blue sucks.

dodgecoltracer Sep 6, 2007 06:33 AM

I love the black and it seems easy enough, even though I'll probably break something. I saw something on here about painting the center part (around the shifter) with a crackle spray paint (similar to the dash/around the ebrake/ect..) I think that'd look real good with the whole blacked out look

Kirbyryu Sep 12, 2007 12:23 AM

The black looks really good I am doing mine later on in the day.

dodgecoltracer Sep 18, 2007 11:00 AM

So I'm not very good with the whole car thing, how do I take off the B pillars? It seems like itd be a pain with the seat belt on there... how does it work??

JohnnyBoy427 Sep 24, 2007 09:48 PM

Originally Posted by Lancelot23 (Post 4618228)
i have a lancer ES. and i have ugly grey interior with woodgrain dash, but i just bought some evo dash peices from someone. i want to paint the stock grey parts black so it makes the evo stuff look better, cuz it doesnt match at all right now. here's a pic.

i want to paint the areas around the radio piece, around the shift knob, the cubby hole, glove box, pillars, change drawer left of steering wheel, etc. but the plastic is not smooth. its like "leather". so i guess i cant sand it? or else i will loose that "leather" look. you think i should go with the Fusion interior plastic paint? black? or glossy black?

also im buying a evo steering wheel. so it will get rid of my big ass grey steering wheel. and then eventually seats, black ceiling, and black carpet. but those are only dreams right now.

HELP ME OUT!

I painted my climate control surround on my ES. It did have the bumpy texture but I sanded it down a bit and cleaned it up and never had a problem.

Originally Posted by dodgecoltracer (Post 4757855)
So I'm not very good with the whole car thing, how do I take off the B pillars? It seems like itd be a pain with the seat belt on there... how does it work??

You will have to unbolt the seatbelt off the floor and pull it through. I have done it before to get my carpet out but IDK if it is safe so I dont take responsibility if your seatbelt comes loose in a crash.

asdfasdf128 Sep 25, 2007 07:09 AM

its amazing what you did, it pretty much looks stock. Good job!

joon82 Sep 29, 2007 04:00 PM

looks good. But everytime i spray paint, i get stupid drips and errors. I messed up one radio console so had to buy new one.

MSFIT Oct 2, 2007 05:10 PM

thats awesome I wanna do this