Notices
Evo How Tos / Installations Post or link to your detailed how to / installation articles in here. If you have any questions regarding the how tos, feel free to post them in the Request sub-forum.

how my ACD was defeated! david VS goliath

Search this Thread

Old Sep 12, 2009, 02:56 PM
kaj
EvoM Community Team Leader

Received 812 Likes on 677 Posts
how my ACD was defeated! david VS goliath

Cliff Notes at end of thread.

Okay. If you found this thread, then you probably have three ACD lights taunting you while driving your Evo.
Here's my story:
Bought an Evo. Lights came on while driving home. Previous owner had no clue what happened. Clutch had been replaced at one point, but ACD
Line was never disconnected.
Upon visual inspection, I see nothing wrong....so I come to EvoM. As you know by now, the ACD is a mysterious unit. Surrounded in folklore and cloaked in rumor. I was beginning to think the whole thing were in my head. All I could find was "you need a mitsubbermagic tool to check it" "just bleed it" "you need to bottle the Santa Anna winds. Poor them on the ACD pump to pull out any air in the system."
There is no way to test the system on your own. No fixes. Nobody could even say if it's bad to drive with all three lights on.
Are Mitsu mechanics hunted and killed for letting info out?
So. Finally found the "key on, hold down gas pedal to bleed" method. Sweet! But.. Do I close the valve in between? Let the gas pedal up then down? Details! I then teach myself that if you just leave the pedal down, the pump activates every few seconds. Cool. The how-to said nothing of closing the bleeder in between pumps, so I left it open.
Lights were still coming on. Only while on freeway. Hm.
Checked fluid level when I got home. Perfect. Once it was even overflowing. WTF?! This thing IS magical! It makes it's own fluid! Now I'm thinking my pump is bad. At $300+,used....yay!
I put it off. Good thing too... Because while doing some testing on my tune (tephra's valet mode) I heard the ACD pump activate. Thought nothing of it. Went to look inside engine bay, later that night, and low n behold! Low fluid!I filled 'er up. Problem solved.
Lesson? After bleeding, close bleeder then let pump activate one more time, then top off. So simple, yet NO how-tos mentioned this KEY detail.
So. This is how I defeated my possesed ACD system and vanquished satan back to hell, where belongs.
....And I lived happily ever after.

The End

Cliff notes:
After bleeding your ACD unit, close bleeder and allow pump to activate once more. This sends fluid into unit so you can top off. Done dizzel.
All assuming you have nothing broken.
Old Sep 12, 2009, 08:02 PM
kaj

i was asked how i bled the system. here ya go 'cause searching for the info, on this site, is a biatch!

1. remove fill cap from reservoir. have extra fluid ready. use new. don't use old, as it collects moisture.
2. turn key to "on" position
3. put something on gas pedal to hold it at 100% throttle.
4. every ??? seconds you will hear the ACD pump activate
5. get under the car and loosen the bleeder for the ACD unit on the transfer case. leave it open with a catch container underneath.
6. continue to add fluid, but keep it under the "max" line
7. once no more air is coming out, close bleeder valve
8. where i messed up: WAIT FOR THE PUMP TO ACTIVATE AGAIN. maybe twice. i don't think it matters how many times.. but you want to be sure the transfer case is FULL of fluid.
9. once the level in the reservoir stops going down (signaling transfer case is full)
10. take brick/stick/etc off the gas pedal.
11. top off fluid in reservoir.
12. done.

it's been a few months since i did this.. but i am 99% sure that's how it went down. it's really easy, once you know all the little details.

hope this helps.
Old Oct 31, 2009, 02:21 AM
Evolving Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
YEs, this is very useful, I had to do it myself, thank you
Old Oct 31, 2009, 02:55 AM
Evolving Member

I hear of people having all these crazy ACD problems.I've taken out my tcase 3 or 4 times now. (I say it like its nothing ) and I haven't seen the 3 lights so I geuss bleeding it fully?( Letting the lines from the pump drip in a paper towl for a few days) always did the trick for me. Idk if its the car the way its done but damn the evo tcase and TRIPLE damn acd (blew my first tcase btw)

Last edited by NJ_EveOhVIII; Oct 31, 2009 at 02:58 AM.
Old Oct 31, 2009, 04:52 PM
kaj

Originally Posted by NJ_EveOhVIII
I hear of people having all these crazy ACD problems.I've taken out my tcase 3 or 4 times now. (I say it like its nothing ) and I haven't seen the 3 lights so I geuss bleeding it fully?( Letting the lines from the pump drip in a paper towl for a few days) always did the trick for me. Idk if its the car the way its done but damn the evo tcase and TRIPLE damn acd (blew my first tcase btw)
i dunno. maybe got lucky? i'm told the ACD line doesn't need to be removed, it just makes things easier.
i was told mine was NOT removed while the clutch was swapped out.. yet i had air in the lines, somehow. either way, i got it fixed.. so i don't even care any more. such a pain in the ***.
i'm looking to swap in a quaife and ditch the whole ACD b.s. all together.
Old Oct 31, 2009, 05:00 PM
Evolving Member

good writeup..

make sure to also use the OEM mitsu atf in the acd
I got the three lights by filling up with some sweet advance auto parts brand atf
Old Oct 31, 2009, 05:03 PM
kaj

Originally Posted by _mcjonnyp
good writeup..

make sure to also use the OEM mitsu atf in the acd
I got the three lights by filling up with some sweet advance auto parts brand atf
really? 'cause i'm just using standard ATF from Autozone. i only use Diaqueen stuff in the trans/diff/t-case/etc.
Old Oct 31, 2009, 05:04 PM
Evolving Member

naah not the diaqueen.. the regular auto transmission fluid from mitsu is only like $4 a bottle

I might have bought the wrong visc. but who knows!
Old Oct 31, 2009, 05:19 PM
kaj

Originally Posted by _mcjonnyp
naah not the diaqueen.. the regular auto transmission fluid from mitsu is only like $4 a bottle

I might have bought the wrong visc. but who knows!
i come from the world of Hondas. i use their stuff for Transmissions, if i can. exclusively. so, i understand wanting to use OEM stuff. . as for ATF? bleh. whatever. but! the ACD is kinda important.. and expensive.. so if i can get mitsu stuff for $4, i'm all over it. though the dealership IS two towns away. ours closed.
Old Nov 20, 2009, 01:09 PM
Evolved Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by kaj
i dunno. maybe got lucky? i'm told the ACD line doesn't need to be removed, it just makes things easier.
i was told mine was NOT removed while the clutch was swapped out.. yet i had air in the lines, somehow. either way, i got it fixed.. so i don't even care any more. such a pain in the ***.
i'm looking to swap in a quaife and ditch the whole ACD b.s. all together.
Whats actually all involved in removing the acd setup? In the non ACD cars they use a VCU inplace of the acd, so what actually replaces the acd clutches?
Old Nov 20, 2009, 05:20 PM
kaj

from what i'm told, you just swap in a mechanical unit. then.. i guess.. find a way to plug off the line to the ACD pump?

no clue. but i'd love to do just that. ACD is dumb.
Old Nov 20, 2009, 07:05 PM

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
if it works, must be made a sticky!
Old Nov 20, 2009, 07:59 PM
kaj

Originally Posted by sblvro
if it works, must be made a sticky!
it does. this is how i did mine. there are other "how-to"s on this board.. but they all seem to be copies of each other and they all seem to be missing a detail or two.. like being sure to do a final cycle on the pump.
i mean.. it's common sense NOW... but when i was following another how-to, i had no clue of what i was doing so i followed it step-by-step. had i not been such a noob, i probably would have thought to cycle the pump one more time. i'd say my how-to is more... "noobish".

i just hope it helps someone avoid the damned "three ACD light" problem. it drove me CRAZY.

i'll be under my car tomorrow and will take a picture of the bleeder valve location. i've had a couple people PM me to ask where it is.
Old Jun 20, 2010, 10:23 PM
Evolving Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by kaj
it does. this is how i did mine. there are other "how-to"s on this board.. but they all seem to be copies of each other and they all seem to be missing a detail or two.. like being sure to do a final cycle on the pump.
i mean.. it's common sense NOW... but when i was following another how-to, i had no clue of what i was doing so i followed it step-by-step. had i not been such a noob, i probably would have thought to cycle the pump one more time. i'd say my how-to is more... "noobish".

i just hope it helps someone avoid the damned "three ACD light" problem. it drove me CRAZY.

i'll be under my car tomorrow and will take a picture of the bleeder valve location. i've had a couple people PM me to ask where it is.
Good info to try...seems to be the least expensive option to try first...thanks for the info
Old Jun 20, 2010, 11:18 PM
kaj

It's always best to try free fixes first.
I had the advantage of knowing the ACD system was working fine before I bought the car, so I could be 99% sure it wasn't in need of repair. I just had to solve the puzzle.

Quick Reply: how my ACD was defeated! david VS goliath