Notices
Evo How Tos / Installations Post or link to your detailed how to / installation articles in here. If you have any questions regarding the how tos, feel free to post them in the Request sub-forum.

Evo 8 cruise control installation

Search this Thread

Old Dec 6, 2009, 06:14 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Evo 8 cruise control installation- pics added!

I recently installed Rostra's cruise control on my '03 Evo and will post some pics of the install once I get a chance to take some.

Some tips/points:

1. We mounted the cruise unit onto the master cylinder after bending the supplied bracket into a 180 degree loop.

2. We had to remove the throttle body to dremel a small channel into the throttle pulley to accept the piggyback wire loop connector for the Rostra throttle cable. It's a little etra work but it made the existing throttle cable able to move freely as if the piggyback wasn't there.

3. We used the main harness grommet on the passenger side below the ECU to bring the wiring into the cabin.

4. We tapped into the ECU harness for the tach and VSS signals.

5. We drilled into the lower steering wheel shroud to mount the control lever.

Overall, it took about 7 hours but that's mostly because we didn't have any Evo-specific instructions to follow. Still, I think it's well worth it especially for long trips. I wish I had done this years ago when I first got the car.

Feel free to PM me or post any questions.

Drive safe!
-Franc

Last edited by franc01; Dec 13, 2009 at 01:36 PM. Reason: Pics added
Old Dec 13, 2009, 01:28 PM

Here are some pics. The forum will allow for 5 uploads per message so this will be broken up into sections.

These attached pics show how we bent the bracket to mount the module to the brake booster.
Attached Thumbnails Evo 8 cruise control installation-module_01.jpg   Evo 8 cruise control installation-module_02.jpg   Evo 8 cruise control installation-module_03.jpg  
Old Dec 13, 2009, 01:31 PM

Here is how we rerouted the throttle cable and piggybacked the cruise cable. The bracket we ended up using to mount the cruise cable is one of the factory brackets that are left over once you reroute the throttle cable. We cut it and bent it so it becomes a simple bracket as in the pic. The two nuts on either side of the bracket are how you'll adjust the cable slack at the end. Rostra recommends 1/8 -1/16" of deflection, so there should be very little slack in the cable.
Attached Thumbnails Evo 8 cruise control installation-cables_01.jpg   Evo 8 cruise control installation-cables_02.jpg   Evo 8 cruise control installation-cables_03.jpg   Evo 8 cruise control installation-cables_04.jpg   Evo 8 cruise control installation-cables_05.jpg  

Last edited by franc01; Dec 13, 2009 at 01:38 PM.
Old Dec 13, 2009, 01:32 PM

We used the main ECU grommet which you need to unbolt from both sides. The nut on the cabin side is a biatch to get to because it's blocked by a bracket so you need an open end wrench and a lot of patience. A deep 10mm may work as well but we didn't try it. Inside the cabin, we tapped into the main harnesses in back of the ECU for pins 58 (tach) and 86 (VSS). Evo Motorsports has a nice online diagram of the pinout. Remember that the pinout diagram is as if you are looking at the ECU from the back.
Attached Thumbnails Evo 8 cruise control installation-grommet_01.jpg   Evo 8 cruise control installation-grommet_02.jpg   Evo 8 cruise control installation-grommet_03.jpg  

Last edited by franc01; Dec 13, 2009 at 01:39 PM.
Old Dec 13, 2009, 01:35 PM

Finally, there are pics of the control lever mounted on the car. You can adjust this as needed- it clears my knee easily but you can install it without the angled spacer so the arm points out more and it will angle down less. I also mounted it farther away from me so I don't accidentally smack it while using the turn signal lever but it can be mounted much closer so you can tap the buttons while steering. Whatever you decide, double check your location before you snap on the wiring connectors, though, because once you do you can't slide the spacer on or off or remove the lever without cutting the wires although you can still adjust the angle.

At some point I'll take a look at my DIP switch settings. Rostra's tech Thomas recommends setting switches 3, 7, and 10 to ON and the rest to OFF but I think mine are a little different. As you can see, the battery, strut brace, and upper IC hose will block any adjustments so it's wise to do the fine tuning before you put everything back for good.

I know it looks like a lot of work and a PITA, but believe me it's worth it in the end. In general, the instructions with the unit are pretty good. These pics should help along the way.

Again, hope this helps and post/PM any questions.

Take care,
Franc
Attached Thumbnails Evo 8 cruise control installation-lever_01.jpg   Evo 8 cruise control installation-lever_02.jpg   Evo 8 cruise control installation-lever_03.jpg  

Last edited by franc01; Dec 13, 2009 at 01:43 PM.
Old Jan 31, 2010, 02:47 AM
EvoM Staff Alumni

Received 17 Likes on 5 Posts
Discuss thread HERE!