Notices
Evo How Tos / Installations Post or link to your detailed how to / installation articles in here. If you have any questions regarding the how tos, feel free to post them in the Request sub-forum.

how to adjust headlight leveling?

Search this Thread

Old May 21, 2010, 10:42 AM
Evolving Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by revvin9k
i re assure you, remove those two lil screws holding that crappy gear in place and it will make your life much easier. Gl.
can it be done with the headlight installed?
Old May 21, 2010, 10:50 AM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by shangai
can it be done with the headlight installed?
I have and Evo 8 as well and I was able to remove the screws without issue. Headlamps in the car.
Old May 21, 2010, 11:14 AM
Evolving Member

Perfect!
Old May 22, 2010, 08:32 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I have and Evo 8 as well and I was able to remove the screws without issue. Headlamps in the car.
I was able to remove the screws on my IX with the headlamps in the car. You can use a phillips head bits (like the ones from a cordless drill) and put it in a mini socket wrench if you can't reach a screwdriver down there.
Old May 23, 2010, 05:10 PM
Evolved Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Tried to do this last night after taking the 2 screws out of there and when I put a socket on the end of the cable that's underneath the gear, the cable just broke, so now I'm stuck with no way to adjust my headlights I guess. O well, needed some new ones anyways.
Old May 24, 2010, 12:18 PM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by Bobster22388
Tried to do this last night after taking the 2 screws out of there and when I put a socket on the end of the cable that's underneath the gear, the cable just broke, so now I'm stuck with no way to adjust my headlights I guess. O well, needed some new ones anyways.
You should have removed the cable altogether. Remove the cable, adjust as needed, then dis connect the leveling motor. Who the hell needs to play with their HIDS after they are set anyway?

There is another way to adjust. There is a tiny adjuster to each HID that takes a 3/16 wrench or socket. (Very Small). The piece I speak of is plastic, yet it does work.

I had a fine tooth 1/4 Snap On ratchet with a flex head that I used with out an issue.

LMK if you need pics.

Last edited by revvin9k; May 24, 2010 at 12:22 PM.
Old Jun 1, 2010, 06:56 PM
Evolved Member

Ive been toying with adjusting these for almost a year now with no luck. Being that my plastic gears would just slip, I went ahead and removed the plastic gear mechanism and two screws. I proceeded to pop off the small plastic gear tip revealing the 6mm hex end. I turned it with no luck and heres why: Can we say seized/corrosion:

I continued and ripped the cables out but didnt bother with the other dual screw end or headlight removal etc. Ive got the passenger side light shining a few feet further out than the drivers headlight. Im getting a new intercooler in two weeks and Id like to remove my headlights, open and paint them(blackout oven style) and then somehow aim them with new bulbs installed. If anyone in the south Florida area would be willing to help me Id gladly throw you some cash. I have a house/garage/oven/and beer if needed. Ive given up at this point.

Heres a pic of the lineup of the beams against my garage door. Kind of a crooked pic and they dont look too far off but when driving the cutoff on the road and distance between the two is off.

Old Jun 1, 2010, 09:15 PM
Evolved Member

You should have removed the cable altogether. Remove the cable, adjust as needed, then dis connect the leveling motor. Who the hell needs to play with their HIDS after they are set anyway?

There is another way to adjust. There is a tiny adjuster to each HID that takes a 3/16 wrench or socket. (Very Small). The piece I speak of is plastic, yet it does work.

I had a fine tooth 1/4 Snap On ratchet with a flex head that I used with out an issue.

LMK if you need pics.
If you could send me pics of that it'd be great. I tried getting to that little adjuster on the back of the HID with the same ratchet your talking about and did not have enough room to even get it on the adjuster
Old Jun 2, 2010, 05:12 AM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by Bobster22388
If you could send me pics of that it'd be great. I tried getting to that little adjuster on the back of the HID with the same ratchet your talking about and did not have enough room to even get it on the adjuster
I'll post pics when I get home for you guys.

And you CANNOT adjust your head lights that close to a wall. Give your self at least 20 feet, and find a very level surface.

Keep in mind while aiming your lights, of what oncoming traffic will be seeing.
Old Jun 2, 2010, 06:28 PM
Evolved Member

If you decide to use the wrench method, grab a Snickers bar, as you will need it. Fine tooth 1/4 ratchets are your friend.

This is a pic of the passenger side. Removing the power steering reservoir is ideal when doing this side.

Name:  PICS1736.jpg
Views: 0
Size:  86.9 KB

Name:  PICS1737.jpg
Views: 0
Size:  90.9 KB
Old Jun 2, 2010, 07:22 PM
Evolved Member

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
i loosened the cables from the adjusters so they wouldnt strip and turned those bolts but only he high beams went up. im actually quite a good mechanic, what the hell am i doing wrong!
Old Jun 2, 2010, 07:51 PM
Evolved Member

If you decide to use the wrench method, grab a Snickers bar, as you will need it. Fine tooth 1/4 ratchets are your friend.
What size was the wrench that you used? I've tried everything to get my flex 1/4" snap on ratchet with snap on socket down in there to no avail, it just is to wide to fit.
Old Jun 2, 2010, 07:53 PM
Evolved Member

Its a 3/16.
Old Jun 2, 2010, 09:13 PM
Evolved Member

Thanks for the pics Ill check this out within the next two days....I wasnt trying to adjust them that close to the wall just seeing if they actually moved with whatever adjustments I was attempting to make. Id have relocated to a building wall or something once I got some movement going on.

Last edited by ImJoey; Jun 6, 2010 at 05:48 PM.
Old Sep 9, 2010, 08:11 AM
Evolving Member

how do stop them from moving up and down automatically its been doing it since i got the car

Quick Reply: how to adjust headlight leveling?