Notices
Evo How Tos / Installations Post or link to your detailed how to / installation articles in here. If you have any questions regarding the how tos, feel free to post them in the Request sub-forum.

Evo IX MR Radio Relocate

Search this Thread

Old Jan 26, 2013, 10:32 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Evo IX MR Radio Relocate

There is a DIY on the site, but it lacks any pics. Thought you guys would appreciate this. I'd give this a 2 out of 5 on the difficulty scale. If you can change your own diff fluids, understand basic wiring, and know how not to break plastic trim pieces, you're good.

IX MR/MR SE/RS package cars come with the triple set of gauges. They are mounted way too low and are nearly impossible to see. Furthermore, the boost gauge on my car was on the far end (passenger side), making it too far away to really keep an eye on.

You will need:
Screwdrivers - longer flat, normal phillips, stubby phillips head
Needlenose pliers or wire cutters
A couple shop rags
A good drop light or flashlight
Space heater if you live in the tundra like me

Name:  IMG_1360_zpse6fb88c4.jpg
Views: 0
Size:  80.5 KB

Took me 40 minutes as a first timer, plus an hour preheating the garage.

First, pull the three knobs straight off the HVAC controls. There are two screws on the outer knobs, undo them. GO EASY on these they don't need a lot of torque.

Name:  IMG_1335_zps2c6fd840.jpg
Size:  92.4 KB

Also, undo the two screws underneath the HVAC controls that go vertical from in front of the gauge set.

Name:  IMG_1336_zpsb229eaa6.jpg
Size:  90.1 KB

Now you can pull off the HVAC/Radio bezel and the gauge bezel. You'll need to tug pretty hard on the HVAC one, I used two fingers and yanked it one corner at a time.

Name:  IMG_1338_zps40e06efd.jpg
Size:  71.5 KB

Undo the four screws around the radio and pull it straight out. You will need to remove the cables at the back, do so carefully. Take your time here, ripping a connection out like a gorilla is going to make this a 3 hour project real fast.

Name:  IMG_1341_zpseae3a4de.jpg
Size:  68.3 KB

You'll be left with this hole in your dash.

Name:  IMG_1342_zpsd5f6c6f0.jpg
Size:  96.4 KB

Repeat the same process with the four screws on the gauge pack. Be aware these are very long screws. There is a black plastic spacer behind each of the sets of screws, you'll need to reuse it for the radio. Disconnect hook-ups, here is a pick of the wiring to each. AGAIN go slow and take it easy. White/Blue is Oil Temp, vac line is boost - wiggle to disconnect.

Name:  IMG_1343_zps1d067059.jpg
Size:  68.1 KB

OPTIONAL: If you want to move any of the gauges from one side to the other, now is the time. Get a rag, go to your work bench, and undo the little brackets (don't lose the tiny lock washers). Move as you see fit.

Name:  IMG_1345_zps35a2b8ab.jpg
Size:  100.1 KB

Check they are square/level and tighten brackets.

Name:  IMG_1347_zpsc6efc7f3.jpg
Size:  89.4 KB

Now you've got this mess to deal with.

Name:  IMG_1350_zps6da39822.jpg
Size:  82.3 KB

The wiring is pretty easy to move behind the HVAC unit. Some cars, mine included, had the boost vac line and oil sender line zip tied. Clip it and move the gauge wiring to the top/speaker and radio to the bottom.
Name:  IMG_1352_zpsf62b13ae.jpg
Size:  79.8 KB

At this point. Reconnect the radio to the wires (now in the bottom din). Pre-fit the black spacers with the four screws already in, and slide the radio down the channel into place. This was the trickiest part, you have to jimmy a non-factory radio a bit, make sure the area behind is clear before shoving it in.

Name:  IMG_1354_zps4a7e4c49.jpg
Size:  59.8 KB

Same deal up top. Reconnect all lines/wires. You may have to relocate a grounding wire. On my car the radio ground was long enough, but the OE gauge ground was too short. Unbolt/screw it and move it to a new spot.

Tighten all the screws down and flip your ignition on...you should get this. Note - I sandwiched the top gauges ground between the plastic and one of the dash bracket screw holes, it provides a solid ground, you can just see it above and to the right of the voltmeter.

Name:  IMG_1357_zpscaced612.jpg
Size:  71.5 KB

Reattach the lower bezel. Push it back on, then secure with the two vertical screws.

Name:  IMG_1358_zpsd4288b04.jpg
Size:  83.9 KB

Put the top bezel back on, it clicks right back in, then add the two little screws from the HVAC unit (again, go easy on these). Add knobs.

Boom. You're done. Readable gauges that are so OE it hurts.

Name:  IMG_1359_zps6aac759d.jpg
Size:  65.0 KB

Link to all the pics with a bonus set of pics of my trashed rear brake pads - http://s596.beta.photobucket.com/use...dio%20Relocate
The following users liked this post:
siccgsx (Sep 9, 2019)
Old Jan 26, 2013, 10:35 AM

oh, and since that was my first post. Here's a pic of my evo.

Name:  photo-5.jpg
Size:  121.1 KB
Old Feb 17, 2013, 06:53 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Nice! great step by step tutorial brother.. now to work on the ol gauge/radio switch-a-roo!!!
Old Mar 5, 2013, 07:50 AM

Awesome man!! I'm going to finally do this for my 06 MR.
Old Apr 22, 2013, 09:18 AM

Great write-up! Going to be doing this next weekend. Thanks!!
Old Apr 24, 2013, 07:54 AM

Great write up thanks!
Old Apr 24, 2013, 09:29 AM

Good job on the writeup!
Old Jun 7, 2013, 07:03 PM

just a bump to say this is working out great. its so much fun to watch the boost gauge between no lift shifts.
Old Jun 7, 2013, 08:41 PM
Evolving Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
I did my radio relocation last spring... and shortly after, my radio head unit stopped working. The radio turns on, but there's no sound coming from any of the speakers. I was VERY careful with installing, but I can't figure out what's worn. I also went so far as to replace the head unit with an Infiniti SSL head unit and the issue still exists: radio on, with no volume coming from the speakers... what could be the issue?
Old Aug 5, 2013, 10:45 AM

Originally Posted by MCPunk79
I did my radio relocation last spring... and shortly after, my radio head unit stopped working. The radio turns on, but there's no sound coming from any of the speakers. I was VERY careful with installing, but I can't figure out what's worn. I also went so far as to replace the head unit with an Infiniti SSL head unit and the issue still exists: radio on, with no volume coming from the speakers... what could be the issue?
If i remember right all Evo's with the uprated sound system have an amplifier under the front passenger seat...might want to check that.

Also, you could have blown a fuse, which would in some cases allow power to the radio, but not to the amp/speakers.

best of luck.
Old Aug 5, 2013, 08:44 PM

Great write up. Definitely worth the 35$ to change up your Evo dash for the best .
Old Aug 6, 2013, 08:06 PM
Evolving Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Originally Posted by Compy222
If i remember right all Evo's with the uprated sound system have an amplifier under the front passenger seat...might want to check that.

Also, you could have blown a fuse, which would in some cases allow power to the radio, but not to the amp/speakers.

best of luck.

Thanks... My Evo doesn't have the amplifier under the seat... but I'll check the fuses and the maybe test the wires... I appreciate the help!
Old Aug 7, 2013, 05:45 AM

Good write up. I prefer this swapped configuration as well.
Old Nov 19, 2013, 02:57 PM

A follow-up, the car has had zero issues with the new gauge location and they are a lot easier to read. Highly recommended easy DIY mod for anyone.
Old Nov 19, 2013, 04:43 PM

Did this today in about 10 minutes, thanks for the write up!

Quick Reply: Evo IX MR Radio Relocate