Notices
Evo How Tos / Installations Post or link to your detailed how to / installation articles in here. If you have any questions regarding the how tos, feel free to post them in the Request sub-forum.

evo 8 5 speed to mr 6 speed swap help

Search this Thread

Old Jul 19, 2018, 08:32 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
evo 8 5 speed to mr 6 speed swap help

Hey i did search the forums but mostly all the info is the swap from 6 speed to 5 speed.
I am trying to make sure i have all the parts for the swap from 5 speed to mr 6 speed

so far what i know is i need the
- 6 speed tranny
- 6 speed shifter and cables
- transmission harness for 6 speed
- harness for reverse switch 6 speed
- reverse switch or solenoid? For 6 speed
- 6 speed tranny mount
- lower clutch line
- cable bracket (trans side)

Am i missing anything? Or does anyone have exact part list for the swap? Thanks
Old Sep 6, 2018, 09:11 PM
Evolved Member

Received 41 Likes on 37 Posts
Why? just curious. I'm sure you know the disadvantages? I will say it does shift much better than the 5spd (in my opinion).
Old Nov 5, 2018, 07:05 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Cool project. I might do the same if I end up keeping my car...
Old Nov 5, 2018, 03:48 PM
kaj
EvoM Community Team Leader

Received 813 Likes on 678 Posts
There are threads on this, I've posted in them. Search a bit more and you'll find them. The last one was posted in about two or three months ago, so shouldn't be too far down the search results. If not, the 6 to 5spd thread can be used.
Going from a 5 to 6 is exactly the same as 6 to 5. Use the needed parts list from the 6-to-5 swap and buy the same, but for a 6spd.
Old Nov 5, 2018, 03:49 PM
kaj

Originally Posted by bendercars
Cool project. I might do the same if I end up keeping my car...
Looks like you are all cleared to post in the Marketplace. Solid work.
Old Nov 5, 2018, 04:51 PM
EvoM Guru

Received 345 Likes on 262 Posts
OP, you have my support. As backwards thinking as this sounds, I plan to do this in the future too with an SS JB FP Black and 2.4L. Sounds like a recipe for disaster at first haha XD

Even though the fourth gear in the 6 speed can blow up, I don't really care, i'm going to try and make it work using existing upgrades and oil cooling techniques. I currently have a Sheptrans built 5 speed that is doing great. Plenty of WOT, but I don't track or drag. Having 6 gears is just cooler, more modern, more fun (if you like shifting) and helps with highway cruising which I do a lot of. Also, when you upgrade the final drive in the 6 speed the additional load and rpm drop on each gear can be dispersed a little better.

At this time, the available final drives for the 6 speed are too extreme on both sides and we deserve more options. About 4.0 for higher speeds and lower RPM at a given speed or about 5.0 for high rpm driving at a given speed and slightly more torque. Stock in the 6 speed is: 4.583. The 90% of us who daily drive our cars really need something like a 4.3 FD. This way it's not very hard to move the car in first (which could burn more clutch) and it makes your freeway cruising more tolerable with less noise and better mpg. Thankfully, it is possible to get a custom final drive made between $1.5k to $2k. We don't necessarily need to use mainstream parts in our builds.

Albins addresses the gear breakage issue by providing us with a stronger 3,4,and 5 gear. According to them, they are made of billet high-alloy proprietary grade steel. Now, that doesn't tell us much, but we know they have been ENDURANCE tested with 500whp, making me believe they can withstand 700hp drag duty. These gears are also shot peened. The stock 6 speed 1 and 2 are just as strong if not stronger than the ones in the 5 speed. The 6th gear is not used and should not be used for WOT on most occasions, but it has proven to be a non-issue anyway. Combine this with Synchrotech's evo 8/9 6 speed 1-6 carbon synchros and a hardened 1-2 shift sleeve, you now have a chance at a long lasting 6 speed with a bigger turbo.

In my opinion, if you follow these steps, get all the gear treatments available, as well as install a transmission cooler with a nice oil pump and place the oil radiator in front of the car for max CFM (behind intercooler, behind factory oil cooler, behind ACD pump, etc.) you will have a much stronger and long lasting 6 speed. The trans oil cooler has reportedly dropped temps up to 50 degrees during heavy track use.

The moral of the story is (which we all already know), if you have the time, money, and patience, you can make the H pattern 6 speed strong as hell. Shep won't touch the 6 speed anymore, but Jacks Trans will. They can both build a trans and they both respond to emails.

Last edited by Pal215; Nov 5, 2018 at 04:56 PM.
The following users liked this post:
osetsky (Jun 22, 2019)
Old Nov 5, 2018, 05:20 PM
kaj

All that, but you didn't answer his question.

:P
Old Nov 5, 2018, 08:50 PM
EvoM Guru

Originally Posted by kaj
All that, but you didn't answer his question.

:P
I have a bad habit of thinking out loud and falling off the track entirely

OP, that's all I have on my list as well.
Old Nov 5, 2018, 09:01 PM
kaj

Originally Posted by Pal215
I have a bad habit of thinking out loud and falling off the track entirely

OP, that's all I have on my list as well.
LOL same here.
Old Nov 9, 2018, 09:52 AM
Evolved Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
You may also need the 6 speed shifter counsel (upper trim panel) and 6 speed shift boot. Not sure if the ring is differerent from the 5 speed to the 6 speed trim, I assume its larger.

Good luck on the swap, I also considered doing this after driving an MR, I enjoyed the smooth shifting.

Here are the part numbers:

6 speed shift boot: MIT-MN124950XA
6 speed counsel trim MIT-8015A001HA
Old Nov 9, 2018, 02:46 PM
kaj

*console.

A counsel is: /ˈkounsəl/
noun
  1. 1.
    advice, especially that given formally.synonyms:advice, guidance, counseling, direction, information; More
  2. 2.
    the lawyer or lawyers conducting a case.
    "the counsel for the defense"
And yes: those are also needed because the 6spd shifter is located closer to the steering wheel.
Old Nov 9, 2018, 03:16 PM
Evolved Member

Received 294 Likes on 235 Posts
I have a spare 6 speed shifter if anyone needs one for the swap.
Old Nov 9, 2018, 04:37 PM
Evolved Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Originally Posted by kaj
*console.

A counsel is: /ˈkounsəl/
noun
  1. 1.
    advice, especially that given formally.synonyms:advice, guidance, counseling, direction, information; More
  2. 2.
    the lawyer or lawyers conducting a case.
    "the counsel for the defense"
And yes: those are also needed because the 6spd shifter is located closer to the steering wheel.
I apologize for misspelling that, but was it really necessary to quote the dictionary... carry on
Old Nov 9, 2018, 04:47 PM
EvoM Guru

Doing the 5 speed to 6 speed conversion does not make your Evo an MR by VIN, but STM sells this nice looking "Lancer Evolution" Carbon fiber badge that can go in place of the MR badge on the 6 speed shifter console. I know this has been said, but this car has so many swap friendly parts it's awesome.
Old Nov 9, 2018, 04:49 PM
kaj

Originally Posted by fimotorsports
I apologize for misspelling that, but was it really necessary to quote the dictionary... carry on
Depends on one's sense of humor and/or sensitivity to jokes.

Quick Reply: evo 8 5 speed to mr 6 speed swap help