Notices
Evo How Tos / Installations Post or link to your detailed how to / installation articles in here. If you have any questions regarding the how tos, feel free to post them in the Request sub-forum.

How to- Build your own COP kit

Search this Thread

Old Aug 30, 2018, 09:05 AM
Silver Sponsor

Received 30 Likes on 21 Posts
How to- Build your own COP kit

Hey guys,

I made this video showing every step to make your own cop kit. You can purchase a full DIY kit from the website and we also sell each individual part if you need replacements. If you follow this video you shouldn't have any issues making your cop and saving some money. If you want to skip the wire harness building you can also purchase a fully assembled system. Let me know what you think about the video. If you have questions please contact me.

Select your options for your DIY kit HERE
Fully assembled kits HERE
@JD_Customs_USA
(423)665-9616
The following 2 users liked this post by JD Customs USA:
ronaldo9 (Aug 30, 2018), Tur56bo (Dec 4, 2019)
Old Aug 30, 2018, 09:13 AM
Evolved Member

Received 194 Likes on 182 Posts
By chance, do you know the travel path of the spark? I have not found an answer I'm satisfied with. Lol

We know OEM spark goes down the coil to the spark plug directly under, jumps plug gap, goes through head to opposite plug, jumps backwards to electrode, through wire, and back to same coil (other end).

So how does COP spark travel?
Old Aug 30, 2018, 11:18 AM
Evolved Member

Received 99 Likes on 79 Posts
That's not how a weatherpack terminal should be crimped...the seal (orange piece) is what gets crimped onto the second (larger) set of wings on the terminal.

the crimping tool you're using is not meant for weatherpack connectors as it crimps both wings into the wire

Also, I would recommend not twisting the wires together like you're doing. the wings of the terminal are supposed to be able to penetrate into the wire to properly crimp it into the terminal and with the wires twisted, all that the wings can do is try to clamp down over the top of the wire. Hard to describe but if you're doing a crimp, half the strands should be on either side of where the terminal wings pinch down into the wire

See this video for what I'm talking about with the seals:
The following users liked this post:
ronaldo9 (Aug 30, 2018)
Old Aug 30, 2018, 11:55 AM
Silver Sponsor

Originally Posted by llDemonll
That's not how a weatherpack terminal should be crimped...the seal (orange piece) is what gets crimped onto the second (larger) set of wings on the terminal.

the crimping tool you're using is not meant for weatherpack connectors as it crimps both wings into the wire

Also, I would recommend not twisting the wires together like you're doing. the wings of the terminal are supposed to be able to penetrate into the wire to properly crimp it into the terminal and with the wires twisted, all that the wings can do is try to clamp down over the top of the wire. Hard to describe but if you're doing a crimp, half the strands should be on either side of where the terminal wings pinch down into the wire

See this video for what I'm talking about with the seals:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wuL5ZU_SviI

The video you added is showing the crimp being made on a single wire. As you know, the wire harness for a cop system uses two wires for each seal and it's not possible (or easy) to include the ends of the weather seal with two wires and make it fit in the small hole. The way I have been making these wire harnesses for over 3 years has shown to be very effective at securing and sealing the connectors and pins. Even with the lifetime warranty I offer with each cop, I haven't had a single one come apart or have damage due to water getting past the seals. Everyone has their own way of doing things and this is the way I do it and recommend it be done. This video was made to help others make their harness, not to start a thread on what you may think is the best way to do something. Again, this is my opinion and I'm not saying the way you recommend it being done is wrong. This is just the way I do things and this process works perfect for me and thousands of my customers.
@JD_Customs_USA
(423)665-9616
Old Aug 30, 2018, 11:57 AM
Silver Sponsor

Originally Posted by 2006EvoIXer
By chance, do you know the travel path of the spark? I have not found an answer I'm satisfied with. Lol

We know OEM spark goes down the coil to the spark plug directly under, jumps plug gap, goes through head to opposite plug, jumps backwards to electrode, through wire, and back to same coil (other end).

So how does COP spark travel?
I'm not sure how to answer that question. Maybe someone else will chime in later on and give some insight?
@JD_Customs_USA
(423)665-9616
Old Aug 30, 2018, 01:35 PM
Evolved Member

Received 194 Likes on 182 Posts
From my most recent research, I think the 1st 12V coil creates a magnetic field to polarize (if you will) the 2nd 40kv coil. Once magnetic field collapses, the polarized 40kv coil have nothing to hold its polarity and goes to equalibrium by discharging. From what I can tell, it looks like the one end discharges the electricity and the other end of the 40kv coil has a recoil that goes to a capacitor. And from what I can tell, the spark jumps to out electrode to head, which goes to ground and travels back to that capacitor in COP. I can't find anything online that explains this. This has been a thorn on my side for months and I still can't find a solid answer. Lol
Old Aug 30, 2018, 01:54 PM
Evolving Member

Received 13 Likes on 11 Posts
I bought your DIY kit and put it together myself, super easy to do. Video should help out those who maybe scared to go DIY, but for those of you thinking about it, do it. Saves you money and isn't all that difficult. Been super happy with my jdcustoms COP kit.
The following 2 users liked this post by SW20Mike:
JD Customs USA (Aug 30, 2018), Tommyfacekicker (Jun 24, 2019)
Old Aug 30, 2018, 01:54 PM
Silver Sponsor

Originally Posted by 2006EvoIXer
From my most recent research, I think the 1st 12V coil creates a magnetic field to polarize (if you will) the 2nd 40kv coil. Once magnetic field collapses, the polarized 40kv coil have nothing to hold its polarity and goes to equalibrium by discharging. From what I can tell, it looks like the one end discharges the electricity and the other end of the 40kv coil has a recoil that goes to a capacitor. And from what I can tell, the spark jumps to out electrode to head, which goes to ground and travels back to that capacitor in COP. I can't find anything online that explains this. This has been a thorn on my side for months and I still can't find a solid answer. Lol
That sounds like a good theory to me, even though I don't have any idea what you just said
@JD_Customs_USA
(423)665-9616
Old Aug 30, 2018, 02:00 PM
Silver Sponsor

Originally Posted by SW20Mike
I bought your DIY kit and put it together myself, super easy to do. Video should help out those who maybe scared to go DIY, but for those of you thinking about it, do it. Saves you money and isn't all that difficult. Been super happy with my jdcustoms COP kit.
That's great to hear! Thanks for your support!
@JD_Customs_USA
(423)665-9616
Old Jun 24, 2019, 10:38 AM
Evolving Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
do u guys sell kits for the gtr coils?
Old Jun 25, 2019, 08:05 AM
Silver Sponsor

Originally Posted by Tommyfacekicker
do u guys sell kits for the gtr coils?
I don't have a full kit put together for the GT-R coils, but I can sell you all the individual pieces that are needed. I don't have instructions though. The only difference is the pinout for the Hitachi connectors is different than the Denso. Message me on instagram or email me for the quickest response. @JD_Customs_USA, Jon@jdcustomsusa.com
@JD_Customs_USA
(423)665-9616
Old Jun 25, 2019, 12:15 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Bought the kit and assembled it as well. Answered questions quickly and the carbon fiber looks awesome. Love it!
The following users liked this post:
JD Customs USA (Jun 25, 2019)