Notices
Evo How Tos / Installations Post or link to your detailed how to / installation articles in here. If you have any questions regarding the how tos, feel free to post them in the Request sub-forum.

Coolant temp evo 9

Search this Thread

Old Jul 18, 2019, 12:17 AM

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Coolant temp evo 9

Coolant temp running from mid to low at times. defi meter water temp show 80 plus 90deg but on the speedo shows 1/4.
Usually it reads slightly below half. Have check grounding all good.

the thing is, it never goes above half mark. just happened few weeks ago.
what could it be? sensors? burping? bad rad cap?
Old Jul 20, 2019, 12:31 PM
Evolved Member

Received 144 Likes on 128 Posts
Try a new OEM thermostat and a new pressure cap.
Old Jul 30, 2019, 10:41 PM
Evolving Member

Received 24 Likes on 21 Posts
Where is your Defi sensor located at vs where is the stock one at? That should help drive the solution.

Personally doubtful that it's the thermostat as if your engine runs for an extended amount of time without getting to proper operating temp the ECU will throw a code that can't be cleared with a reset on a reader and will go into limp mode. Found that out the hard way by swapping in a lower temp thermostat when I flushed out my system at last major service interval. Only way to clear the code was to put in a normal thermostat and after warming up to normal temp the code disappeared.
Old Aug 5, 2019, 06:36 PM

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Not sure where are the senosrs at. i dont think its the thermostat as i just changed it and my rad cap is new. My defi is working well so I think the prob is the stock sensor. I want to have confirmation before i buy the sensor dont wish to have a wrong diagnose since the sensor is pricey.
Old Aug 6, 2019, 08:14 AM
Evolved Member

Received 126 Likes on 121 Posts
There are two coolant temp sensors on the factory setup, one for the gauge cluster and one for the ecu. If the cluster is reading low confirm that the reading is off by checking what the ECU is reading. It sounds like the sensor is faulty to the cluster, but would be good to confirm prior and then you could try cleaning the contacts prior to ordering a replacement to see if that's all is needed.