Notices
Evo How Tos / Installations Post or link to your detailed how to / installation articles in here. If you have any questions regarding the how tos, feel free to post them in the Request sub-forum.

Revised JIC EXHaust Install (RMR and Perrin as well..)

Search this Thread

Old Jun 26, 2003, 06:36 PM
Evolving Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Revised JIC EXHaust Install (RMR and Perrin as well..)

Just installed the revised JIC US-Type exhaust. Its a full 3.15 inches ID, gorgeous polished stainless steal.

Probably one of the best looking exhausts I have ever seen. Nice welds, no splatter - excellent fit and finish - nice 02 fitting location - slider 110mm tip - stainless clamps - baffle (more on that later).

Needless to say, Vivid Racing totally came through on this one. We received the parts ahead of schedule, everything was packed nicely - great job guys!!

I matched the exhaust up with a Perrin test pipe. Fully polished stainless with (the first that I know of) Mil Elim circuitry. The test pipe was just as nice as the exhaust. errin is known for making high quality scooby go-fast parts.

I finished the exhaust off with a RMR 3" downpipe. Nice, clean welds - not as pretty, but it didnt need to be.

REMOVAL
The removal is pretty staight foward - I'll skip the details and focus on the high points. Work your way from front to back when removing the exhaust. Loosen the downpipe nuts, then remove one side of the A-arm braces and swing them over - before you remove the downpipe nuts, loosen the ones on the cat and loosen and remove the 02 sensor. With all bolts still attached, remove the muffler exhaust hangers - leave two on the car, remove the hanger by the right rear wheel well - this will not be used again.
Go back up front and drop the downpipe - the rest of the exhaust will drop. Slide it out.

INSTALL
Same as above - start with the downpipe and work your way back. Nothing too terribly difficult. Its a good idea to coat your threads with antisieze. After the downpipe and cat, I installed the rear muffler and tail pipe section on the hangers. I then attached the mid pipe to the tail pipe section, leaving the clamps loose, that way you can twist the mid pipe to match the flange to the cat. Once everything is lined up, work your way from front to back - tightening the bolts. Install the A-Arm braces with the rear brace needing longers bolts and a 1" spacer to clear the RMR downpipe. The bolts received with the exhaust are the perfect length (use the supplied Perrin bolts on the exhaust).
Check all bolts one last time and adjust the rear tip.
Install the Perrin O2 circuitry. This involves removing the center console to get to the rear 02 wire loom. Once you have it exposed, you cut the white wire and connect the Mil Elim. You also strip the blue and red wires (leaving them connected) and solder the remaining Mil Elim two wires. A red light comes on when the key is switched to let you know the Mil is working. Button the console up and enjoy not having a check engine light!

PERFORMANCE!
THis exhaust sounds sooo good! Its incredibly quiet with the baffle. SO I removed it..and oh my god!! It's still perfectly quiet - a nice little rumble, but not loud at all. This is unreal because the exhaust is a straight through design (yes, I know about the turbine wheel baffling the exhaust).
Anyway - under full throttle, it is no louder then maybe a Porsche.. seriously!! I am so impressed!!

Enjoy the picks! AND THANKS VIVID!!

ENJOY!!

Last edited by SmokinJoe; Jun 27, 2003 at 04:02 AM.
Old Apr 13, 2004, 12:12 AM
Evolved Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Discuss thread here