EvolutionM - Mitsubishi Lancer and Lancer Evolution Community

EvolutionM - Mitsubishi Lancer and Lancer Evolution Community (https://www.evolutionm.net/forums/)
-   Evo How Tos / Installations (https://www.evolutionm.net/forums/evo-how-tos-installations-82/)
-   -   HOW TO: UEGO wideband install (https://www.evolutionm.net/forums/evo-how-tos-installations/415240-how-uego-wideband-install.html)

N3VO Apr 19, 2009 10:05 PM

HOW TO: UEGO wideband install

8 Attachment(s)
MAKE SURE TO UNPLUG THE NEGATIVE BATTERY TERMINAL**

so you got this gauge and everything but now what?

well.. here we go, to start off you need to figure out how your going to get this from outside of your car to the inside. This is how i did it and by no means do you have to do the exact way i did it be creative. Ok so first jack the car up (be safe) and lets take a look at what you have under there to find out what you gotta do
- Do you have the stock cat in or a test pipe? if you have the cat in there still make sure to mount your bosch sensor before the cat because if not this will screw it up
- Does your Down pipe or test pipe have a pre welded bung in it? if not you will have to use the bung that came with your UEGO and weld either into your downpipe or testpipe. Mine was pre welded into the testpipe so life was easier for me. If you are welding yours into the dp/tp make sure that the bung will angle the sensor on 3 o'clock (horizontal) angle or higher because if you go below that condensation will build in your sensor thus ruining it faster. I would also recommend welding it at the end of the downpipe or beginning of the the testpipe because this will make routing the cable to the inside of the car easier and they say to have it a certain distance back from the turbo so you dont burn your sensor.
-Do you want to log A/f? if so your going to have to buy a serial port to usb converter. Once you have that your going to solder the blue wire to port 2 and then solder gauge wire from port 5 ( this will be grounded).
Attachment 310952
Attachment 310953

So once youve got the sensor into the bung lets take a look at getting the cable inside the car. Going back to when i said try and weld the bung at the end of the downpipe or beginning of the testpipe this is why, If you look above there you should see a rubber plug, unplug that and this should leave a hole which goes into the passenger side floor.
Attachment 310954

now go inside and look at the passenger floor and look for the shift console all the way in the back and take that off it should just unclip.
Attachment 310955

now pull the carpet towards you until you can see the hole should look like this
Attachment 310956

(Ignore how the harness is inside the car in the previous picture that was before I found it wouldnt fit) The harness wouldnt reach or fit through the hole inside the car for me so i clipped that outside the car and taped it up well and ziptied it the exhaust hanger. the other portion of the harness is very long and will easily fit through the hole.

so go ahead and clip the harness together and bring it inside the car and also cut a slit in the rubber plug you took off and make a hole in the center so the wire can fit through and plug the hole back up from the outside so no water can get in. It should look like this from the inside
Attachment 310957

Now take the wiring and guide it behind the center console ( right above where the hole we brought it through)

now this is where i decided that i wanted to mount my gauge in the ashtray because it seemed a cool way and it was easy to access. so i pulled out the ashtray and brought the wiring through simple as that.
Attachment 310958

Ok now for the wiring, what I did was tapped into the radio. so you have to take the radio apart its very simple all you need is a screw driver and then just tap into the blue/yellow wire in the harness. then i just grounded to a screw to the left if you take off the cubby hole. there are a few areas where you can grab power another source is the cig lighter.

Tape up the wires, Connect the wires to the back of the UEGO gauge, pull the carpet back up on the passenger side and clip both the driver and passenger side panels back up and your all set!
Attachment 310959

I am currently modifying my ashtray to hold my gauge, but there are many locations that this gauge can be mounted so be creative{thumbup}

Hope this helps

Neil

SPANKED May 5, 2009 10:39 AM

Good stuff! Thanks!

EvoBullet06 May 6, 2009 11:41 AM

Hmmmm... ussually test pipes and the stock cat have the 02 bung. Many cat back systems also have an o2 bung. So you think it would function properly if it was plugged into the stock cat, and then the 02 sensor into the cat back 02 bung (Maybe with the RRE CEL eliminator)?

N3VO May 6, 2009 12:20 PM

thanks!

as for locating in the stock cat you have to put it before the cat or it will throw off readings if you have a testpipe then your fine cause that replaces the cat, but most put it in the downpipe near the end at like a 1-2 oclock angle

w evo Aug 3, 2009 11:00 AM

nice write up...any pics of you modified ashtray? I was thinking about doing a similar thing.

dank420 Aug 3, 2009 11:31 AM

you only use the red wire and the black wire correct when tapping into a power source( radio). the blue and yellow wire are for tuning so you dont use them just yet

N3VO Aug 5, 2009 06:05 PM

yep the red is for a 12v source and black is grounded and the yellow dont really need and blue will be used for the serial port if you want to log a/f

and w evo i never got to finishing it lol, smikeevo on here had a cool tray setup on his evo a mievo buddy did it. heres the thread for it
https://www.evolutionm.net/forums/ev...ost-gauge.html

srcevo8 Oct 16, 2009 01:59 PM

Bump for a nice and easy to understand writeup. This is much simpler than I thought it would be. Thanks a lot!

N3VO Oct 24, 2009 04:20 PM

Thank you! glad i could help

grasskicker509 Nov 15, 2009 11:10 PM

wow, u made it look so simple and EZ, nice pics too!

reconracer Apr 12, 2010 08:04 PM

awsome write up, saved me some time and money thanks man

howell May 16, 2010 09:19 PM

Great write up, but some thing to make things alittle easier, there is another plug on the drivers side, it would be easier for most people to come up that way so less routing the wires to the a pillar or steering colum pods. In your case it didn't matter too much since the ash tray is almost dirrectly centered.

FromStock2Fast8 Dec 25, 2010 12:17 AM

good write up actually did it myself with no need of help lol i guess i got lucky

WhItEVIII Dec 27, 2010 07:00 PM

When you ask about wanting to log or not do you have to do this, or can you just install it with out doing this, the solder of the wires that is?

06RedRalli Dec 27, 2010 08:57 PM

You can install it without the soldering part and only the gauge will display the AFR...

If you want to log to your datalogger you have to do the soldering part...