Notices
Evo Show / Shine Post your pictures, photoshops, and videos!

Rear diffuser for the JDM bumper

Search this Thread

Old Nov 17, 2007, 09:55 PM
Evolved Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
That looks badass. Price is a bit steep in my opinion. I agree an FRP version painted to match the stock part would be nicer, also if it fit angled exhausts it would be more appealing. If it were cheaper I would def consider it!
Old Nov 17, 2007, 10:37 PM
Evolved Member

I would be 100% interested in one, just need to make a few changes like people are saying.
Old Nov 18, 2007, 01:46 AM
Evolved Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
why limit your market by making something that only fits str8 exhausts (when most of the EVO's i've ever seen including myself have angled exhausts, then put it at a higher price than a proven race product (the voltex, that fits any exhaust), and we don't even know if your thing works.

make it fit all exhausts and drop the price then you might be able to sell some of these
Old Nov 18, 2007, 02:27 AM

that thing looks awsome..
Old Nov 18, 2007, 02:00 PM

I have a straight exhaust, and I want one! It needs to be abs plastic or come down on price for me to make the purchase. Nice piece btw
Old Nov 19, 2007, 06:31 PM

What exhaust did you use in prototyping?
I fabricated my own exhaust.
How big a can/oval can you fit?
The HKS muffler will work or an oval style with a offset tip.
Any pics that are bigger and not with a camera-phone?
I'll take a few more shots when I'm able to put the car on a rack

Any possibily of just fiberglass "fins" to get cost down?
I may make the fins out of alum. or use a plastic injection mold.

The reason for the style of exhaust is that the fin next to the muffler would not fit, since it needs to be straight to bolt to the pan.
Old Nov 19, 2007, 07:45 PM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by RACESHOP
I may make the fins out of alum. or use a plastic injection mold.

The reason for the style of exhaust is that the fin next to the muffler would not fit, since it needs to be straight to bolt to the pan.
I heard ABS molds were pretty expensive to contract out? I say make them in house from aluminum... If you use machine screws in the fins they will be replace-able if damaged...anodized in black. Then you could sell replacement fins (long or short option) if needed down the road & also sell it un-assembled w/ loctite for easier shipping. If you sell it to fit straight muff cars you can keep costs down & help encourage de-ricing the Evo scene a bit. Nothing wrong with that. I've never seen a diffused Ferrari or other supercar w/angled Honda can(s)?

Last edited by threepointsix; Nov 19, 2007 at 08:15 PM.
Old Nov 19, 2007, 08:25 PM

Originally Posted by threepointsix
I heard ABS molds were pretty expensive to contract out? I say make them from aluminum in batches...make an angled base and a straight muff base option... If you cut 2 different bases and machine screw in the fins they will be replace-able if damaged...anodized in black. Then you could sell replacement fins if needed down the road. Locktite em so they wont fall off, or sell it un-assembled w/ loctite for easier shipping

I'd want the straight muff option for my Works exhale
The pan is in sections and they bolt together. There are 1" flanges that hang down to bolt the fins to, it uses a rivnut that a stud threads into, then the fin slips over the stud and uses a locknut so it won't come loose. (see pic.) The pan comes powdercoated black.

If I make it for angle exhaust you would only be able to use 3 fins. I don't think it would look right.
Attached Thumbnails Rear diffuser for the JDM bumper-cym-280.jpg   Rear diffuser for the JDM bumper-cym-282.jpg  
Old Nov 19, 2007, 08:42 PM
Evolved Member

wow...that's really nice...i had that in my mind the whole time and was wondering when someone was going to make one....

BUT, with most Evos here having angled exhausts, i'd think that selling that diffuser for 7 bills only for straight exhausts is quite unfair...not to mention that not too many people would want to buy that piece at that price....go a little lower on the price and have one for angled exhausts and i'll gaurantee you there'll be a lot more people interested in getting one.

plus, you did have the time to custom fabricate that piece so why not try one for angled exhausts? and if you say that it'll only have 3 fins, custom fbricate it so that there'll still be 4
Old Nov 19, 2007, 08:54 PM

nice!
Old Nov 19, 2007, 10:24 PM
Evolved Member

cool, but why carbon fiber fins? because of the shape of the factory fins? i'd much rather scrape aluminum fins then carbon ones that's for sure!
Old Aug 27, 2008, 04:27 PM
Evolved Member

Because I am obsessive, and can never let anything go after I decide that's what I want...

I have been scouring the web to find out who RACESHOP is/was and how to get a hold of them about this pretty piece of kit they designed, and built at least one of, for the JDM IX rear bumper...

I think his name was Larry and had a shop in Brentwood, CA that was called "The Race Shop" or "Race Shop" It appears it went out of business...I believe the phone number was 925-240-7223, which has been disconnected. He also had the domain name raceshoppro.com...that's also gone.

If anyone has any more up-to-date info on how I may contact this individual about this diffuser, please let me know.

Last edited by WhiteEvo05; Aug 29, 2008 at 10:23 AM. Reason: ...because I never proof-read!
Old Aug 27, 2008, 04:35 PM

im diggin it but i have a tilted exhaust more pics plz
Old Aug 27, 2008, 05:07 PM

It looks pretty good but 750 is too much
Old Aug 27, 2008, 05:12 PM
Evolving Member

looks more functional the the voltex to me

Quick Reply: Rear diffuser for the JDM bumper