Notices
Evo Show / Shine Post your pictures, photoshops, and videos!

Custom 2 1/16" single boost gauge ash tray PANEL

Search this Thread

Old Nov 24, 2003, 11:04 AM
Evolved Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Custom 2 1/16" single boost gauge ash tray PANEL

I'm coming to an end in finishing the fabrication of this panel. I will do my best in taking/posting pictures... Along these lines, I was wondering if anyone on the forum was interested in having such a custom panel (which replaces the ash tray completely with an area sufficient to mount one 2 1/16" boost gauge).

Panels are painted "flat black" to match the shift boot color, the lighter color, and the color of all other black instruments/panels in the car (Evo 8). Customers can choose other color choices but will have to "re-paint" the panel on their own, with a color of their choosing.

You will see that my gauge panel (the prototype) will allow the gauge to be slightly angled toward the driver (as opposed to being completely recessed and flat where periphial visibility is impossible). Install is as easy as using the existing 12v ash tray light bulb or cigarette lighter as per general instructions contained in your boost gauge kits.

If there is a sufficient interest, I can PM indivisuals with the price I will charge for this panel (not to include shipping by regular or overnight mail).

So lemme know,

4-BNGR
Old Nov 24, 2003, 11:09 AM
Evolved Member

Seems like a cool idea...but it's not very safe or convienient to have to look down that far while driving to check your boost!

I'd still like to see a pic though.
Old Nov 24, 2003, 11:19 AM
EvoM Guru

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts
I've seen this done before, its a sweet mod, but a little difficult to see a gauge when its out of your line of site. I would like to get my hands on just a blank panel, but its easy enough to make from aluminum or plastic.. I saw a stealth gauge that someone made, they put a gauge inside the ashtray (cut a large portion of it out) so they can close the cover on it and the gauge was hidden.. Gauges that you find you use regularly really should be somewhere in your line of site, but its an excellent location for a gauge, oil pressure, Fuel pressure, etc..
Old Nov 24, 2003, 11:26 AM
Evolved Member

I've had this discussion with a friend of mine (before I decided to fabricate the custom panel) - and we came to the conclusion that this argument has a fallacy where ONLY "A-pillar" type gauges overcome the dillemna of not having a convenient location (that is one where the driver can readily observe the boost gauge WHILE NOT TAKING HIS EYES OFF THE ROAD).

I/we were of the opinion that many EVO owners believe that a-pillar gauges are a little "ricey" and would rather have a more stealth installation.

DIN panel gauges also require that the driver remove his eyes from the road aswell as the STEERING WHEEL COLUMN mounted boost gauges.

Last, I like many other driver will only be using the boost guage on occasion (only to verify) that my car is not "overboosting." This is a function of the boost gauge and I do not intend to stare at it while driving - just to see the needle move
Those drivers with a MANUAL BOOST CONTROLLER will also be at ease knowing that their boost level will be "fixed" and the use of such a device will make LOOKING at the boost gauge obsolete - it will only be done to set/verify a boost level.

So if you are a die hard A-pillar gauge user, this post does not apply to you Oh, smokers too But for everyone else, lemme know if you are interested. Thanks.

4-BNGR
Old Nov 24, 2003, 11:34 AM
EvoM Guru

Very true.. I'm a believer in using warning lights for critical functions while driving. The problem with A-Pillar gauges is their in your line of sight, but the wrong side.. a majority of your focus out the window is straight ahead or slightly to the right which puts the gauges in your peripheral vision.. Unfortunately true line of sight gauges would place them on the dash so you can see it at the same time your driving, unfortunately Johnny Law looks down on that kind of instrumentation.

The point with the steering column is valid about not truly being line of sight, however its within the glance field that most would periodically use.

There are so many different opinions on this, but most of the guys who drive for a living, rely more in visual and audible indicators and "Reference indexed" gauges so they can be looked at at a glance or seen or heard without glancing away.

BTW, the panel actually mounts the gauge "Into" it? or does the cup mount ONTO it at an angle?
Old Nov 24, 2003, 11:34 AM
JWA
Evolving Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I'd be very interested. Please PM me the price and a pic when it's available.

Thanks,

--Josh
Old Nov 24, 2003, 11:37 AM
EvoM Guru

Oh and please don't take offense, I have been working on a similar bracket that can be mounted in one of several locations, only my favorite is as close to my line of sight as possible (Its in the Evo Mods/Installation section if your curious.)
Old Nov 24, 2003, 11:51 AM
Evolved Member

Originally posted by MalibuJack
Very true..

BTW, the panel actually mounts the gauge "Into" it? or does the cup mount ONTO it at an angle?
The panel will mount the gauge "into" it with a portion of the gauge being below the panel (inside the ash tray area) and a portion of the gauge being above the panel - at a slight angle (about 165-170 degrees) toward the rear of the car, allowing for good periphial visibility - again for the purpose of setting/verifying your boost level.

I should have pictures of the installation completed by lunch time tomorrow (eastern time). I look forward to those who may be interested in this product

4-BNGR
Old Nov 24, 2003, 12:06 PM
Evolved Member

Originally posted by MalibuJack
I have been working on a similar bracket that can be mounted in one of several locations, only my favorite is as close to my line of sight as possible
Old Nov 24, 2003, 02:05 PM
Evolved Member

I'm going home now to remove my center console and will start on the install. I won't have pic's posted until tomorrow after work though... Let me know your interest then. Thanks

4-BNGR
Old Nov 25, 2003, 01:01 PM
Evolved Member

Almost there. My boost gauge needle is below the return pin. I need to slove this little problem and then I'll try to take some pics later...
Old Feb 8, 2004, 06:46 PM
Evolving Member

What ever happened to this?
Old Feb 8, 2004, 07:12 PM
Evolved Member

I've finished it
Attached Thumbnails Custom 2 1/16" single boost gauge ash tray PANEL-custom-panel.jpg  
Old Feb 8, 2004, 07:54 PM
Evolved Member

thats awesome , it'd be better if it was faced towards the driver more though , like a little hump or hill with a gauge in there
Old Feb 9, 2004, 06:31 AM
Evolved Member

I'll be getting a "guage angle ring" to do this very thing.
Attached Thumbnails Custom 2 1/16" single boost gauge ash tray PANEL-angle_rings.jpg  

Quick Reply: Custom 2 1/16" single boost gauge ash tray PANEL