Notices
Evo Show / Shine Post your pictures, photoshops, and videos!

Swirl marks made worse

Search this Thread

Old Jan 28, 2011, 12:31 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Swirl marks made worse

I know there is a paint and detail section, but no one reads that forum. I posted there anyways as well as here.
My car has horrible swirl marks over the entire car. On one of the door panels I attemped to remove the swirl marks with a orbital buffer and some swirl x. I guess I messed up somewhere and now know that detailing isn't my forte. I now have these finer "swirl" marks from the polisher and I'm wondering if these are able to be removed at all. I'm taking my car to a professional detailer in a few weeks to get a complete detail/swirl removal and I'm wondering if these will come out as well.

Old Jan 28, 2011, 12:41 PM
Evolving Member

If he/she is real good and uses correct steps/product it will be all good!
Old Jan 28, 2011, 12:51 PM

Thanks, I got my answer. This thread can be deleted now
Old Jan 28, 2011, 12:52 PM
Evolved Member

It looks like its just left over product. A 50/50 mix of rubbing alcohol and water will strip it off, but it'll also strip off any wax that may be on there.
Old Jan 28, 2011, 01:08 PM
Evolving Member

Try using a foam buffer instead of cloth next time. Swirls on black are a regular thing for inexperienced detailers. If you take it to a professional detail shop and they can't remove the swirls then tell them they need to hire a pro. That's an easy fix for an experienced pro.
Old Jan 28, 2011, 08:19 PM
Evolving Member

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by atxMR
Try using a foam buffer instead of cloth next time. Swirls on black are a regular thing for inexperienced detailers. If you take it to a professional detail shop and they can't remove the swirls then tell them they need to hire a pro. That's an easy fix for an experienced pro.
Werd. Black cars are difficult. Its all in the process; type of pads, and types of waxes used. Also ask the detail shop how they recommend to wash black cars. Black cars are the worst. If you dont do it right you'll just put more swirls and scratches in the clear.
Old Jan 28, 2011, 09:53 PM
Evolved Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Yea, I would think a soft foam wheel with some swirl remover compound would do the trick. Thats exactly what the paint looks like when I finish the fine scratch removing wheel, after I cut and buff a car. Then once I go over it with the foam wheel with the swirl remover, those go away.