Notices
Evo Show / Shine Post your pictures, photoshops, and videos!

WickedIXMR's end of the year RE-build thread *Pics inside*

Search this Thread

Old Dec 20, 2011, 06:04 PM
Evolving Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Arrow WickedIXMR's end of the year RE-build thread *Pics inside*

Disclaimer: This build thread won't be as extensive as some others since this is just my re-build thread, but I will try my best. I do have plans for a stroker, bigger turbo, and shoot for 800whp sometime next year so I will have a nice thread for that.

Just wanted to start a thread showing what's going on with my car right now. A few months ago I had an engine failure and let the car sit for a while. Now that riding season is over, I've got the itch to get this beast back up and running! Recently I've been working on the car a good bit. I've decided to do the work myself since I plan on keeping this car forever. I figured might as well start learning how to do things my own since it is after all an Evo..

Here's my current mod's list:

Engine/Drivetrain

Buschur stage 3 2.0L shortblock
Buschur stage 3 head
Buschur HTA86 turbo kit
Buschur 4in intake
Buschur Race FMIC
Buschur intercooler pipe kit
Buschur 65mm throttle body
Buschur Dual stage boost controller
Cosworth M3 cams
Sparktech ignition
Driven innovations intake manifold
MPfab custom oil catch can (not yet connected)
Buschur mini battery
Buschur cam sensor heat shield
Buschur downpipe
Buschur test pipe
Greddy titanium exhuast
AEM EMS
Fluidamper crank pulley
Injector Dynamics 2200cc injectors
Buschur double walboro pumper
Perrin fuel rail
Buschur adj fuel pressure regulater
DEI turbo blanket
Exedy triple plate clutch
AMS Exedy push style conversion
Shepard racing tansmission
HKS 4.11 final drive
Shepard racing stage 3 transfer case
Quaife LSD
Buschur drive shaft loop
Buschur rear diff support
Buschur rear diff side support
Buschur rear diff bushings
Buschur shifter bushings
Buschur front crossmember
656whp on e85

Interior/exterior/suspension

AEM wideband
AEM Oil pressure
Apexi boost gauge
HKS turbo timer
Pioneer flip out
Personal 330mm steering wheel
Works bell hub
Works bell quick release
ARC shift knob
ADVAN RGII 18x9 +29
JIC FLT-A2 coilovers
Cusco carbon fiber strut bar
Rotora BBK 6 piston front 4 piston rear
JDM headlights
Carbon fiber front lip
JDM rear bumber
Custom rear crash beam
Evo VII tail lights

I didn't know what exactly went wrong, but I knew it was engine related since I lost all compression doing a 3rd gear pull one night. About a month or a month and a half ago I start tearing things down.

Here are some pictures in chronological order:

Forgot to take a picture of how the engine bay looked before I started tearing down, but here's basically how it looked..

Turbo kit and misc parts off.

Head is off.

Here's my issue! Glad it was not the bottom end and just the head.

Pistons and rods taken out.

New valves!

Preparing to take my short block out! Thanks to my friend who let me borrow his engine hoist.

My brother's BEAUtiful Evo 8 in the background!

Short block is out!

I decide to buy myself some early Christmas gifts My stupid self decided this AFTER I pulled the motor lol..

Trans ready to be refreshed. (Gearset it out of the case ready to be shipped off) Sorry no pictures of that yet.

Ready to take off all accessories.

That crank bolt is a PAIN IN THE ***!

On the engine stand. Thanks to a good friend for lending it to me!

Crank is out.

I noticed a small scratch on main #3. Since it was straight and not curved I wasn't too worried about it.

Taking the block to the machine shop!

Delivering my baby to get polished

Can't wait to get this baby up and running again!

Block & Crank back from the machine shop. Had the block decked, cleaned, honed, and the cranked polished.

I was actually pretty amazed on the condition of the short block. ALL the bearings except one of the mains looked great. One of the mains probably had some dirt or debris go through. Rings all still looked good as well as the pistons. Cylinder bores also looked great and straight as can be. Buschur wasn't lying when they say a turned crank is fine as long as its done RIGHT. Well mine is turned and all journals were within .0001 of eachother. Edges also look smooth. I'm very satisfied with my Buschur Stage 3 short block.

I believe my head failure was due to a mixture of things. The intake side stem seals were leaking so oil gunked up my injectors. Could have ran lean due to that. Also my wideband for my AEM is all the way back on my test pipe and I have a couple exhaust leaks before that. That could also give my AEM a false A/F reading.

This has been and still is an AMAZING journey for me. This is my first time EVER pulling a motor out of a car or even a head. I'm doing everything step by step, labeling, and bagging everything. I'm taking my time with the motor as this is my first time on that as well to ensure I don't make stupid mistakes. I've done a LOT of research on this and having good friends in the industry is also nice to have. I'm doing this solely to learn the Evo for myself. I don't plan on opening a shop, but just for my own pleasure. Evo's truly have been my ultimate passion so I will never give up on it.

I would like to thank a lot of my friends for helping me.

TopSpeed Motorsports for all the part hook ups!
Buschur Racing for building me one AWESOME motor! I now see why these can take such a beating.
Peter @ ISP Racing for always giving me advice after all these years and a long time friend.
My good friend Paul for helping me drop my motor.
Sonny for letting me borrow the engine hoist.
Vuong for letting me borrow the engine stand and Snap On Digital torque wrenches.

And everyone else who have helped me along the way. Sorry if I missed anyone.

I will update this thread with new pictures when I can! Sorry for the crappy pics.

Thanks for reading!
Old Dec 20, 2011, 06:45 PM
Evolved Member

Received 32 Likes on 14 Posts
Sorry to see it out of the car. I had no idea you had a problem until I saw the questions on our Facebook page.

I was hoping to see the injectors here. The reason you damaged the head from what you described on Facebook is the E85 worked the crap loose in the fuel system and plugged up the injectors, that is not oil I am sure from what you described. The injectors need cleaned and then I'd drain the E85 and run pump gas through it for a tank or two. Then switch back over to E85 and because you had the problem make sure to occasionally run pump through it again, the pump gas cleans that greasy crap off the injectors and is about the only thing that will. Keep a close eye on the AFR gauge, being located in the offroad pipe is fine.
Old Dec 20, 2011, 06:48 PM
Evolved Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Sucks how build's like this happen, but I am super stoked to see the final result.
Old Dec 20, 2011, 07:21 PM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by David Buschur
Sorry to see it out of the car. I had no idea you had a problem until I saw the questions on our Facebook page.

I was hoping to see the injectors here. The reason you damaged the head from what you described on Facebook is the E85 worked the crap loose in the fuel system and plugged up the injectors, that is not oil I am sure from what you described. The injectors need cleaned and then I'd drain the E85 and run pump gas through it for a tank or two. Then switch back over to E85 and because you had the problem make sure to occasionally run pump through it again, the pump gas cleans that greasy crap off the injectors and is about the only thing that will. Keep a close eye on the AFR gauge, being located in the offroad pipe is fine.
I will keep that in mind about the pump/E85. I was aware of the problem, but I neglected it. Just excited to get it running again!

Thanks for the input.
Old Dec 20, 2011, 07:22 PM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by Pssst
Sucks how build's like this happen, but I am super stoked to see the final result.
I am too
Old Dec 20, 2011, 09:01 PM
Evolved Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
thank God it wasn't more serious. Looks like its coming together nicely. I'll swing by sometime after I get back. My xfercase is the only thing Farked so it looks.like it won't be as costly as I thought to get the car up and running then I can Gove you a ride and you can tell me what you think.

Good luck. Looks like its all elementary at this point. I've told you this before but you are a braver soul then me.
Old Dec 21, 2011, 12:56 AM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by SmurfZilla
thank God it wasn't more serious. Looks like its coming together nicely. I'll swing by sometime after I get back. My xfercase is the only thing Farked so it looks.like it won't be as costly as I thought to get the car up and running then I can Gove you a ride and you can tell me what you think.

Good luck. Looks like its all elementary at this point. I've told you this before but you are a braver soul then me.
Sounds good. I hope you get the T-case fixed asap.

Thanks! Just taking my time and doing things right.
Old Dec 21, 2011, 01:03 AM
Evolving Member

UPDATE: 12-21-11

Bye bye HTA86

Got some goodies over at Summit Racing

Getting ready to file the new rings to spec

Machine shop did a great job on the short block

Checking my ring gaps before I file them down

Measuring each ring with their corresponding cylinder

Done measuring. Time to file!

And I'm done for the night.

Old Dec 21, 2011, 01:08 AM
Evolving Member

Here's some random pictures for you guys to look at while I wait on parts.

More up to date picture of my engine bay

My brothers car and mine

Getting my fix!

My Evo and Truck

Beautiful summer day

I miss this view!

Old Dec 21, 2011, 03:45 AM
Evolving Member

wow,!!! i love reading builds like this. please keep updating this and let us know how you like the car now!
Old Dec 21, 2011, 06:49 AM
Evolved Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Ditto....^. I was stoked when I first heard it rev. BR 2.O is the only way to go IMO.
Old Dec 21, 2011, 08:56 AM
Evolved Member

Received 9 Likes on 5 Posts
Nice thread.

Love the white and gold combo
Old Dec 21, 2011, 11:52 AM
Evolved Member

Received 18 Likes on 14 Posts
Is that something that happens with injectors and e85 often. is there something to do before going to e85 from having that happen.
Old Dec 21, 2011, 12:51 PM

great thread
Old Dec 21, 2011, 12:54 PM
Evolving Member

Thanks guys. I will update this as much as I can.

Sold the gold wheels, now I'm back to the SBC wheels.

Originally Posted by thepoint4life23
Is that something that happens with injectors and e85 often. is there something to do before going to e85 from having that happen.
Yes it is. For the first few tanks of E85 it will gunk up your injectors because it cleans out all your fuel lines. You have to clean the injectors after a few tanks of E85 then run it on pump gas and you can switch back. After a couple cycles you should be fine. There's a thread on this subject in the alternate fuels section. There's some good info on there and there really isn't anything to do (that I know of) from having this happen.

Quick Reply: WickedIXMR's end of the year RE-build thread *Pics inside*