Notices
Evo Show / Shine Post your pictures, photoshops, and videos!

Through Hell & Back.... My Build

Search this Thread

Old Sep 8, 2012, 04:59 AM
Evolving Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Through Hell & Back.... My Build

I never had a chance to actually create a build thread with everything that was going on so i figured why not. here we go... . Lets just say i have been to hell and back with this car and im finally able to say it is running the way an evo should be Thanks to E-Spec and Tach Motor Works.

Ok, so everyone knows this car. It's definitely a "One Of A Kind". I purchased the old Pruven Performance Evo back in January 2011 from Mark @ TurboTrix.

setup:

TurboTrix built 2.0 Evo IX Mivec
- Wiseco Pistons
- Manly I Beam Rods
- Cylinder Head Rebuild
- 1mm oversized valves
TurboTrix built Transmission
- double synchro 2nd gear
- BM Spec 3rd/4th gear
- 3rd/4th synchros
- 4 spider diff
AEM EMS
Magnus V5 Intake Manifold
Custom UICP
Custom LICP
Custom FMIC
FP Green Turbo
Buschur CatBack Exhaust
Hallman Pro RX MBC
272/272 Cams
Mini Battery Kit
Tial BOV
Bilstein Shocks
Tein Lowering Spring
MR BBS Rims
Autometer Boost Gauge
AEM UEGO
6 pt. Roll Cage
ACT clutch

bad luck started day 1 as soon as i got the car home. one of the coolant lines popped off and i was losing coolant like crazy, luckily it happened a block away from my house. the car literally looked like it was on fire! kinda cool imo anyways, looking to see what the problem was i noticed that there were no coolant lines going from the motor to the TB. they were capped off and zip tied.

i guess the pressure ripped through one of the rubber nipples that were zip tied on. so i did the "coolant bypass mod" and called it a day, no biggie.

seems like things were going good now for a few days, but i did notice that the car was smoking during WOT pulls, which i thought was just because it was running a little rich.
i check the oil and im 1qt low. i top it off and drive around for another week. i check the oil again. and again im still 1qt low! i called up TurboTrix and they tell me that its a built motor and it will burn oil. i never heard of that in my life but w.e i guess ill be buying oil every week.

few weeks go by and my gas mileage is horrible. i mean HORRIBLE. 70-100 miles to a tank. so i bring the car to TurboTrix. Mark looks at the map and corrects a few things. i go back home, still not great gas mileage, but better than what i was getting. Everything seems to be ok now. still not familiar with this car i didnt really beat on it, just a few spirited pulls on the highway every now and then.

EVO/STI day comes along, i go to the track to watch, but end up deciding "hey i want to see what this setup can do. so i sign up and enter the staging lanes. I call Mark @ TurboTrix and ask him if the car is ready to race, he says "yeah, just drop the tire pressure down and ur good to go". OK, so now im pulling up to the tree, line up, and GREEN LIGHT! i launch the car and immediately get a bad hop and BOOM!

i destroyed the transfer case into pieces FML. 1st time ever launching this evo and i blow it up. I launched my white evo 80+ times on the track and never had a problem with it. idk what happened.

i call up Mark again, and he sends over his tow truck so he can get me another tcase. a few weeks go by and my car is finished, he gets me a used tcase and im on my way. i drive around for another 3 weeks. Theres a car show by the beach so i decide to take the evo out and enter it in the show for fun. on the way there i do 1 pull with it to have some fun on the way down and i start to hear this extremely loud whine. oh no not again please. yup u guessed it, i got the death whine. FML even harder.

this time being fed up with Turbotrix, i called up Espec over at Tach Motor Works. He gets me a used tcase and i bring the evo up to him and he has it installed in a few hrs. while the cars on the lift, im told that there is a hole in my intercooler on the back, and that the problem with me breaking tcases is that i have NO, i repeat, NO lower front motor mount. seriously?! there was just a bolt in place there. so i buy a motor mount and have it installed. awesome! i get back home and im happy.

Now comes Street Wars 7, i roll in to the show with TSE. 40+ evos deep, it was an awesome event! on the way home, i start to feel this bogging going on when i try to start off.. i mean like not a stutter, but like im hitting a wall... no idea whats going on... im thinking maybe my trans is messed up. great. now if things couldnt get any worse than what it already has been, now i really start to see smoke coming out of my car while driving. i call up mark, again... the reason the car kept going back to TurboTrix is because my "gf" at the time, she was best friends with Mark's wife. its the reason i bought the car in the first place, because she knew them. so he says, bring it in and lets see whats wrong. he pulls the manifold and finds nothing, so he tells me it has to be a seal on the turbo. also he tells me the ACT clutch was shot. so i need another clutch now. long story short, he gets me another turbo, and i order a competition twin. back on the road again. praying that this is the end of the craziness...

i can honestly write a novel on how much trouble this has been so im gonna try and keep it as short as possible pretty much i drive around daily, completely scared to even get on this car because of all the s*** thats been wrong with it and broken on it. just to add i had to replace the BOV, and intercooler, and had to get new IC pipes. im also starting to have an issue with the bogging again while starting off, I'm figuring that its just the harsh engagement of the comp twin clutch.

now im in the Air Force National Guard, Security Forces. i get tasked for a deployment to Baghdad, Iraq. I leave in June. i put the car in the garage and off i go. i leave my "gf" of 6 years who i will never see again because she decides to find someone else while im away and gets engaged to the fool. that was a nice xmas present.

so anyway, im fed up with turbotrix. i blow almost 6k in repairs and parts after buying the car and it still runs like s***.... so i decide while im away to hit up E-Spec and have him do a turbo kit on my car. E-Spec is awesome, i gotta tell you, our friendship will never die. The man doesnt consider you a customer, instead he treats you like family. he has a tow truck go to my house and pick up my POS mess.

i decided to buy a 6262 kit from him, 1200cc injectors, GSC S2 cams, and a 4" ETS FMIC. now like i said, Erk is awesome. he sells the 6262 turbo i bought from him and upgrades me to a brand new Precision CEA 6262 turbo for free as a gift from them for being in the service and being overseas

E-Spec does tell me that my car is smoking pretty bad though, and that he will take a look and see whats going on for me, also they drop my trans and SHOCKING... my trans is BONE STOCK. no double synchro 2nd, 4spider diff, NOTHING... he also tells me that the clutch is damaged and needs to be replaced! 800 miles on this clutch and it needs to be replaced. i was told that it was installed wrong and its the reason i have such harsh engagement. so i buy an exedy twin from Erk...

Now they rip off the head on my motor... OIL LEAKAGE EVERYWHERE. i tell them rip the whole block out and inspect everything. if im going to do this build i want to make sure its done correctly the first time. so they rip apart my block and find out that i have 2 cracked pistons and that the cylinder walls were scored. The motor gets sent out to the machine shop and i buy new pistons. and the rebuild begins!

the new setup:

Tach Motor Works built 2.0 Evo IX Mivec
- Wiseco Pistons
- Manly I Beam Rods
- Cylinder Head Rebuild
- 1mm oversized valves
Tach Motor Works rebuilt Transmission
Exedy twin clutch
AEM EMS
Magnus V5 Intake Manifold
Buschur UICP
custom LICP
ETS 4" FMIC
6262 turbo kit
1200cc inj
Buschur CatBack Exhaust
Blox Front Motor Mount
Torque Solutions Driveshaft Carrier Bushings
Torque Solutions Rear Diff Mounts
Perrin Downpipe
Hallman Pro RX MBC
GSC s2 Cams
Mini Battery Kit
Tial BOV
Bilstein Shocks
Tein Lowering Springs
MR BBS Rims
AEM UEGO
AEM digital Boost Gauge
6 pt. Roll Cage
Pioneer Headunit
Pioneer Front Speakers
Kenwood Amp

i pick the car up in Jan, and off to the dyno we go. The car puts down 535whp @ 26lbs on 93 oct.... running out of fuel with the stock rail, we called it a night! the car feels awesome! Finally the car is pretty much restored to what she should have been since day 1. I cant tell you how much i appreciate all the help from E-Spec and Tach Motor Works for helping me out when i was overseas. between off hours phone calls and communicating back and forth PMs on Facebook, they got my car up and running the way an evo should be!

future mods:

AMS fuel rail
Buschur double pumper kit
SpoolinUP COP
springs/retainers
paint job "black"
powdercoat rims and calipers "black
cf hood
evo ix front bumper

so thats my story, a year of hell, finally turned around and for the better! pretty much a new life and a new evo thanks for reading! updates in the near future!

Last edited by white_evo27; Sep 8, 2012 at 05:06 AM.
Old Sep 8, 2012, 05:37 AM

Damn man. Thats alot of bs to go through but I'm glad you stuck with it and got it right.
Old Sep 8, 2012, 05:38 AM
Evolved Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I can honestly say both your story and mine are quite similar. From broken tcases, toasted clutches and tons of headaches and stress. There is something about these cars that makes you want to never want to say "im tired of this" instead you fix the issue and move on. I think your on the right track now and progress is looking good. Best of luck with the build
Old Sep 8, 2012, 05:40 AM
Evolved Member

That's a bummer about all the problems from Pruven & TurboTrix. It's a shame that there are shops like that selling cars. I don't think I would every buy a shop car or a project car.

Regardless, nice job getting the car fixed. I'm glad you found a new tuner to take care of the car. Hopefully by now you have taken off the stickers and flames and anything else that would serve as advertisement for Pruven & TurboTrix.
Old Sep 8, 2012, 05:42 AM

Congrats you definitely deserve it after going through all that. Now go and enjoy it!
Old Sep 8, 2012, 06:21 AM
Evolving Member

I feel your pain man my x went through hell. Glad to see you kept going and made this thing a true animal!
Old Sep 8, 2012, 06:49 AM
Evolving Member

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
Good God man! This is why I never buy a car that's been modified. But it sounds like you go it all sorted now! On a side note, I wish shops had the same respect when I was over in the desert back in the early 90's.
F
Old Sep 8, 2012, 06:57 AM
Evolving Member

Location: Detroit metro area Michigan/Washington DC metro area
Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts
Glad to see you got the car turned around and back healthy! Enjoy it.
Old Sep 8, 2012, 07:15 AM
Evolving Member

That's a hell of a story, sucks that you had to go through it. I went through hell with my 8, so bad I traded it for a 9. Congrats on the new build and enjoy your pretty much new car LOL.

Thanks for serving the
Old Sep 8, 2012, 07:19 AM

wow i thought i had it bad when i got ripped off with my evo, i test drove an evo seemed fine, took a month for the loans to go threw the owner basically said hey its not my car anymore and went ape **** on it and i get it to find out i need a new water pump because of leaking, the inner bell housing has a huge crack in it and is leaking oil, they take the plug off the rear diff to find out that the gears are basically moosh, needed new intercooler pipes because the battery lug the guy put on cut into my hose, my driver side break caliper was shot, needed a new boost controller, and bov. and is now finally running well lol
Old Sep 8, 2012, 08:41 AM

that is some ****, but im glad some people still have respect for military members, when i was deployed some local shops f'd up my car bad and it took me forever to get the car back running normal. glad your cars back up and running!!
Old Sep 8, 2012, 09:22 AM
Evolved Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by AngryEvo8
I can honestly say both your story and mine are quite similar. From broken tcases, toasted clutches and tons of headaches and stress. There is something about these cars that makes you want to never want to say "im tired of this" instead you fix the issue and move on. I think your on the right track now and progress is looking good. Best of luck with the build
Same here.....nothing but issues from day one. I didn't pay half *** money but got half *** work.

Minus the Jodie scenario of course. You are a strong person. If your ex found someone while you were defending the US then she did you a favor.

Glad everything is starting to come together
Old Sep 8, 2012, 10:21 AM
Evolved Member

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
That's sucks to hear all that...glad Espec got you back on the road!
Old Sep 8, 2012, 11:42 AM
Evolved Member

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
Patience has truly paid off, my friend. Looks awesome!
Old Sep 8, 2012, 12:11 PM
Evolving Member

Yes! repaint the car for the love of god! LOL, sorry you ended up buying A LEMON but looks like all that hard work paid off and the car is A beast again.

Quick Reply: Through Hell & Back.... My Build