Notices
Evo Show / Shine Post your pictures, photoshops, and videos!

EVO 8/9 Retrofit vs Lense swap

Search this Thread

Old Jul 19, 2013, 09:23 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
EVO 8/9 Retrofit vs Lense swap

Has anyone ever tried to swap out the lense on the stock projectors instead of doing the retrofit?

I'm looking into upgrading the lighting and not sure I want to do a retrofit since some cutting is involved on a few of the projectors.
Old Jul 20, 2013, 08:10 PM

140 views no replies/advice?
Old Jul 21, 2013, 12:40 AM
Evolving Member

i asked the guy that built some retrofits for my srt-4 about doing a clear lense swap. I was planning on getting the TL clear lenses since they are 3" projectors as well, but i was adviced not to since the projectors are different so the glass will have a different beam pattern. I didnt question him but the clear lenses are only $40 so when i get back from afghanistan Im gonna try it out on the extra set of headlights i got.
Old Jul 21, 2013, 07:11 AM

Originally Posted by needmoreboost!!
i asked the guy that built some retrofits for my srt-4 about doing a clear lense swap. I was planning on getting the TL clear lenses since they are 3" projectors as well, but i was adviced not to since the projectors are different so the glass will have a different beam pattern. I didnt question him but the clear lenses are only $40 so when i get back from afghanistan Im gonna try it out on the extra set of headlights i got.
I was thinking the same thing with the TL lense swap or the STI-R lense. The issue I'm having with a retrofit is that whether you go with a TSX or even the mini-H1 or mini-D2S your going to have some space left. Personally I don't like the look of halos so I don't want to use them.

TRS said that the EVOX-R would fit but after asking around theres a bit of trimming and customizing brackets for fitment.....
Old Oct 2, 2013, 09:13 AM
Evolved Member

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
Sorry to bump the thread but did you guys make any progress on this?

The factory evo hids are one of my gripes about the car. Driving my wife's infiniti is like a night and day difference in beam quality. I'm looking into upgrading and I just replaced the old bulbs with new osram bulbs. The improvement was noticeable but still not the end result I wanted.
Old Oct 9, 2013, 11:57 AM
Evolving Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by rahmacol
I was thinking the same thing with the TL lense swap or the STI-R lense. The issue I'm having with a retrofit is that whether you go with a TSX or even the mini-H1 or mini-D2S your going to have some space left. Personally I don't like the look of halos so I don't want to use them.

TRS said that the EVOX-R would fit but after asking around theres a bit of trimming and customizing brackets for fitment.....

I've retro'd:
* TSX projectors
* FX-R 1.1 projectors
* CZ4A projectors (same as EvoX-R's)
Into JDM CT9A HLs. I'm fairly certain that USDM CT9A projectors have the same mounting hole specs.. All 3 projectors require trimming

I'll do some detective work for you and see how I go with the gap around the projector using a Mini H1.
I've got one floating around + a pair of JDM CT9A HLs pulled apart collecting dust..
Old Oct 9, 2013, 02:58 PM
Evolved Member

Received 99 Likes on 79 Posts
http://i527.photobucket.com/albums/c...I/image-24.jpg

That is the sexiest headlight you've made. All I need is a write-up of that one and I'd be set . Looks like TSX projectors? or something 2.5"
Old Oct 9, 2013, 03:13 PM
Evolving Member

Nice, would love to do some ls430 or fx-r in mine for high and low beam in the projector. TRS is good at retrofitting these.
Old Oct 9, 2013, 03:58 PM
Evolved Member

Received 18 Likes on 18 Posts
Originally Posted by AutoXMRIX
Nice, would love to do some ls430 or fx-r in mine for high and low beam in the projector. TRS is good at retrofitting these.
Ls430 projectors are too big for the ct9a headlight housings.
Old Oct 9, 2013, 04:38 PM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by llDemonll
http://i527.photobucket.com/albums/c...I/image-24.jpg

That is the sexiest headlight you've made. All I need is a write-up of that one and I'd be set . Looks like TSX projectors? or something 2.5"

Those are FX-Rs... They are a massive retrofit. New shrouds are needed coz the projector sits a fair way forward. Turn signal housing need to be hacked up as well to clear the projector. Also have to patch up the hole you make.. Not prepared to document a How To...

Forget About LS430's.. Aint gonna happen
Old Oct 9, 2013, 05:19 PM
Evolved Member

I remember seeing some detailed pics of how you handle the turn signal hack-up in one of your other threads. turned me off of fx-r's almost immediately!
Old Oct 10, 2013, 01:00 PM
Evolving Member

If you had to do FX-Rs for the first time I know it's a daunting experience. I've done it enough times now that it's a piece of cake.. I've got paper templates that I use so I know where to cut.

* TSX
* CZ4A or EvoX-R
* Mini H1 (although I've never retrofitted in a CT9A HL)
Are all projector that work without hacking the turn signals.. Only trimming the projector is required..
Old Oct 10, 2013, 02:15 PM
Evolved Member

If I were to retrofit, would you recommend the TSX or EvoX-R? If Bi-Xenon played no role in the decision
Old Oct 10, 2013, 06:39 PM
Evolving Member

^^ TSX with a TSX-R clear lense

* better low beam output
* Unlike EvoX-R, requires no custom brackets. Drill directly onto the TSX projector body.
Old Oct 11, 2013, 06:48 PM

Does anyone have a write-up on retrofitting in the CT9A? I would love to get this done but it seems a bit more intense than my FA5....

I can't remember who I spoke to at TRS but they said EVOX-R would require customizing the housing.

Quick Reply: EVO 8/9 Retrofit vs Lense swap