Notices
Evo Tires / Wheels / Brakes / Suspension Discuss everything that helps make your car start and stop to the best of it's abilities.

goodyear f1 vs Yokohama Advan

Search this Thread

Old Dec 16, 2004, 07:59 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question goodyear f1 vs Yokohama Advan

Has anyone had any experience with the Goodyear F1 on their EVO? Does anyone know of a good source (cheapest) for the Advan tire.
Old Dec 16, 2004, 08:01 PM
Evolved Member

I had F1's on my Cobra and on my z06...good tires, probably quieter/longer lasting than the Advans...but not as sticky.
Old Dec 16, 2004, 08:26 PM
Evolving Member

personnaly i dont like goodyear tires
Old Dec 16, 2004, 09:45 PM

Tire Rack has comparisons on the F1's but not Advans. But lets just say all good years suck (when compared to comparable tires).
Old Dec 16, 2004, 09:54 PM
Evolving Member

Talking

Originally Posted by Going 2B LE8
Tire Rack has comparisons on the F1's but not Advans. But lets just say all good years suck (when compared to comparable tires).
Couldn't agree more!
Old Dec 17, 2004, 08:06 AM
Former Sponsor

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
For some reason its a favorite amongst many different car owners. However, EVO customers don't really like them for some reason. Too bad cause its really a great tire to have.
Old Dec 17, 2004, 11:06 AM
Evolving Member

We tried the Goodyears in the summer of '03 as a lower cost alternative to the pricey, short-lived Advans. My wife and I hated them. The car's handling dynamics were transformed for the worse: gone were the telepathic steering and crisp handling, furthermore, overall traction/grip suffered--the anti-lock brakes came into play in several hard-braking situations, where, in the same situations on the Advans, the anti-lock system does not kick-in. Can't comment on rain traction because we didn't experience any truly adverse weather. However, the F1's were quieter and the ride better, but fwiw, our all-season ContiExtremes feel crisper than the Goodyears did.

Last edited by Bogie; Dec 18, 2004 at 01:48 PM.
Old Dec 17, 2004, 11:53 AM
Evolving Member

Goodyear F1 GSD3

Agree with Bogie's remarks, I don't have them on my Evo (and won't) but have driven about 5K with them on my MR2 (205/45/WR16). Less crisp handling, quieter, improved ride compaired to prior tires, but to be fair, their wet weather attributes seem to be MAX performance. I suspect they would be a poor substitute for the ADVAN A046 on the Evolution, in all respects except heavy rain.
Old Dec 18, 2004, 08:45 AM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by GT-One
Agree with Bogie's remarks, I don't have them on my Evo (and won't) but have driven about 5K with them on my MR2 (205/45/WR16). Less crisp handling, quieter, improved ride compaired to prior tires, but to be fair, their wet weather attributes seem to be MAX performance. I suspect they would be a poor substitute for the ADVAN A046 on the Evolution, in all respects except heavy rain.
I'm easily confused when it comes to a tires' "Max" rating. I thinks it is heavily weigh(t)ed towards all-weather performance vs outright dry weather capabilities. The Goodyear tires have a "Max" rating, where as the Advans are a rung down with a "Ultra High Performance" rating.
Old Dec 18, 2004, 08:47 AM
Former Sponsor

Neither tire are all season oriented
Old Dec 18, 2004, 09:02 AM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by Neal@tirerack.
Neither tire are all season oriented
Oops! You're right, these are both "Summer" tires! Then is it the F1 GS-D3's better rain-going abilities (actually, the Advans aren't all that bad in the wet when compared to some of the other monster performers such as the g-Force T/A KD or the now deceased Pilot SX MXX3) that boost it into the much vaunted "Max" catagory?

Last edited by Bogie; Dec 18, 2004 at 09:39 AM.
Old Dec 18, 2004, 09:35 AM
Former Sponsor

No ones really sure why they class the Advan as Ultra High Performance rather than Max Performance. Haven't been able to get a strait answer from anyone.
Old Dec 18, 2004, 09:58 AM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by Neal@tirerack.
No ones really sure why they class the Advan as Ultra High Performance rather than Max Performance. Haven't been able to get a strait answer from anyone.
Thanks for the response...Meanwhile you catch the flack

It's just a bit difficult/confusing to choose an Advan replacement, particularly when tires that "rank" better, realistically may not be better. Afterall, when I shop for the ultimate, "Max" performing tire, I am willing to accept the trade-off--more road noise, shorter lifespan, etc. Heck, little nuances such as those are essentially dealt with daily as an Evo owner. Could it be that said "compromises" have resulted in demerits which more than offset the pure brilliance (when compared to other street tires) of the Advans, thus relegating them to "Ultra High Performance?"

Last edited by Bogie; Dec 18, 2004 at 01:44 PM.
Old Dec 19, 2004, 11:12 AM
Evolving Member

I've had the Goodyear Eagle F1s on my car for a couple of months, and did my first track day on them yesterday.

I've never had the Advans on my car. I bought it used and it had Dunlop FM901s on them when I got it.

THE STREET
The Eagles stick like a **** in the rain. I mean, they stick to the point that it's scary, because you have to be doing something extreme to break them loose. And when they break loose it's not smooth: they break, then catch, then break, then catch. It feels very unsettling to me.

The Dunlops (which are supposed to be excellent rain tires) stuck well, but not nearly as well as the Goodyears. But the Dunlops would break loose smoothly and allow nice power slides.

Maybe the Goodyear behavior would be preferred when I got used to it; maybe the break/catch/break/catch thing could be used as a signal. But I can't drive the car hard enough on the street to test the theory out. The Goodyears performed better, but the Dunlops were more fun (and cheaper).

In they dry both Goodyears and Dunlops tires gave me all the stick I needed. I never did anything on the street to break the tires loose. The Evo is a freakin' loud, uncomfortable car. The tires never seemed to make a difference.

THE TRACK
The Eagles seem to do well at the track. My best lap in my '03 Evo was 1 second faster than a guy in a new '05 Evo MR on the Yokos. He had more track experience than me, but it was his first time out in an Evo. (I did a 2:08 on the 2.9 mile at Texas World Speedway counterclockwise. I get the impression that that's an OK, but not world class, time.)

The outside edge of right front got chewed up pretty good. I had stock alignment settings.

CONCLUSIONS?
I dunno. I don't have enough experience to make any conclusions.

From the reading I've done, it seems that just about any street tire will not perform as well as the stock Advans in the dry because the Advans are race rubber disguised as a street tire (and they have the price and tread life to go along with it). I think they're the auto manufacturer version of "cheating bastard" tires; Mitsubishi used them to get some truly spectacular braking and slalom test times published in the magazines.

So, the "Eagle F1 vs Advan" question is kind of rigged. I think it's better replaced by 2 questions: "Eagle F1 vs Any Other Street Tire" and "Benefits of Street Tire vs Advans".

Advan vs Street Tire: pretty much a cost/performance thing. But, really, it seems that a lot of the people who truly need Advan-level performance for the track or autocrossing have two sets of wheels/rubber anyway: one for the street and one for the track. And if you've got a set of dedicated track tires, you can do even better than the Advans.

Goodyear vs Other Street Tires:
in my admittedly limited experience, these tires are very, very good. There are certainly other great tires out there, but these things are certainly not the dogs that some people seem to make them out to be.