Notices
Evo Tires / Wheels / Brakes / Suspension Discuss everything that helps make your car start and stop to the best of it's abilities.

Changed Wheel Bearing, and Noise Is Still There??

Search this Thread

Old May 28, 2008, 08:17 AM
Evolving Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
biggie5252, When I had the front hubs off to put extended lug studs in it, I checked both sides. The drivers side had no play, and when I spun it in my hand, it was smooth, with no odd noises. The passenger side sounded a little dry however. I forgot to add this to my original post. Thanks for the input. It is not that hard to pull them off, but like you said, better to think on it before tearing it apart again. I may look into the drivers side bearing like you suggested.
Old Aug 29, 2008, 01:54 PM
Evolved Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Kinda curious. Did you ever have a resolution to this issue?
Old Nov 6, 2008, 11:23 AM
Evolved Member

Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts
bump i want to know the anwser..
Old Jan 21, 2010, 12:36 AM

yeah i am having what seems to be the same problem. i turn the wheel to the left and the noise is heavy on the right side. it is very loud at cruising speeds on the highway 50-75 depending. mitsubishi changed out part after part and the noise never went away. the only way they could make it stop at all was aligning the car out of wack. i have been through 2 sets of tires, so its not the tires. i am so happy i found this thread. now i have something to work with
Old Jan 21, 2010, 04:26 PM
Evolving Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by biggieevoIX
yeah i am having what seems to be the same problem. i turn the wheel to the left and the noise is heavy on the right side. it is very loud at cruising speeds on the highway 50-75 depending. mitsubishi changed out part after part and the noise never went away. the only way they could make it stop at all was aligning the car out of wack. i have been through 2 sets of tires, so its not the tires. i am so happy i found this thread. now i have something to work with
Dude, I thought this thread was dead, lol.

Anyway, I gave up hope man. Changed out the front right hub assy. twice and noise is still there.

I also was convinced maybe its the tires, bought a new set, and that didn't do anything. Alignment is not screwed up on the car either, it drives as straight as an arrow and the tires aren't wearing unevenly, haven't even taken it to have someone screw with the alignment.

So man, I'm glad you bumped this, maybe someone will finally step in and give us both an answer.

BTW, someone stated that it may be the right rear wheelbearing when I posted this to start with..... My dad feels the same way.

But, with working taking over my life, I have no time to tear down the right rear hub assy. The car isn't my daily, so I shouldn't have a problem doing this, it's just finding the time to do so.

Anyone ever put a rear wheelbearing in one? If so, does it take a lot of time? The front one is a piece of cake.

Last edited by lghtngyello03; Jan 21, 2010 at 04:38 PM.
Old Jan 23, 2010, 02:44 PM

Im having the same problem with my evo as well....but unlike putting load on the driver's side to see where the noise is comming from, its comming from when i turn left or right. I took my car to the shop and low and behold my driveshaft was rubbing on my resonator....I had it cut out and a 3 inch pipe installed and still the noise is there. If anyone can tell me where i can get front hubs from and how much they cost, i would appreciate it....the last thing i wanna do is find out its the diff......
Old Jan 26, 2010, 07:52 PM

I'm having the same problem with my 05 but it's on the driver side. Brand new tires. One of the earlier posts suggested half shaft. Any thoughts to that?
Old Jan 27, 2010, 10:47 AM

Bump for some help
Old Feb 6, 2010, 07:09 AM

I have a very similar problem on my 03. Its a high pitch grinding sound that kicks in intermittenly around 40 mph and becomes less noticible at highway speeds. It seems to be coming from the front right. I'll let you guys know what happens when I replace the bearing...
Old Mar 2, 2010, 02:03 PM

Awesome! I can't believe I just found this thread. I guess I'll be changing the rear wheel bearings out. Anyone got a quick "How-To" or is it stupid simple?

Do you have to change out the whole "Hub Assembly" (MR403968) $150 or can you just replace the bearing?

Last edited by project95gsx; Mar 2, 2010 at 02:24 PM.
Old Mar 8, 2010, 09:00 PM

any "how-to" on this?
can you buy the bearing only?
Old Apr 27, 2010, 10:29 AM

Bump havin same problem
Old Jun 2, 2010, 04:25 PM
Evolved Member

same prob as all of the above but i did my drivers side moths ago cause it was really bad and could tell it was coming from that wheel, now i feel like its the passenger side so i took off the wheel and rotor and axle out spun the hub spun great no noise no grinding no play so i have no clue what it is iam guessing the rear bearings but i can feel it in my dead pedal and in the gas and break pedal as well, so anyone ever have a bearing go bad that spun fine and had no play in it? iam about to just replace it but the again what if its the wrong one ? gonna be out 150$ so any help would be greatly appreciated
Old Jun 2, 2010, 07:31 PM

wow, this sounds common. i got the same issue too. anything out there at solves this issue?
Old Jun 13, 2010, 12:15 PM

This should give us an idea on how to change out the wheel hub assembly.
https://www.evolutionm.net/forums/ev...tallation.html

NOTE. It says you have to change out the studs on to the new hub. But I just bought my hub assembly with brand studs in them already. I'm suspecting both my front bearings are bad. Makes a loud whomp whomp whomp sound when turning to the left. And the same when turning right but not as loud.

Quick Reply: Changed Wheel Bearing, and Noise Is Still There??