Notices
Evo Tires / Wheels / Brakes / Suspension Discuss everything that helps make your car start and stop to the best of it's abilities.

Clunking front end noise??

Search this Thread

Old Dec 29, 2004, 10:11 PM
Evolving Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
so still no definete answer? I am doing an oil change this weekend so i'll check the stab links then and let you know but i really want a more definete answer and it doesn't seem to be here yet. Keep me posted if this is cured.
Old Dec 29, 2004, 10:15 PM
Evolved Member

I think the problem with no definite answer is the fact that "clunking" is so freaking hard to determine exactly what we all mean by that, one man's green is another man's blue...so the best bet is to try everything on here...lol
Old Feb 11, 2005, 03:07 PM
Evolving Member

I had a noise from my front end. it was a really loud clunk that happened almost everytime I hit a bump. Took my car in to the dealer today and they ordered two new struts, and strut mount bearings for my car. Apperently mine had worn really badly prematurely. All covered under warrentee and I have 20,000 miles on my '04 EVO.... thought I would let you all know
Old Feb 11, 2005, 03:17 PM
Evolved Member

^^^ Cool. I have taken my car in three times for this problem. I told them I hear clunks on all four tires. First time they told me something was totally wrong and they asked me to bring it in that following monday. They kept the car for over 4hrs and came to me and told me nothing was wrong. I took it in a third time for the clunk they kept it again for like 4hrs and still told me nothing is wrong. They also told me that Mistu Corp told them not to chase sounds in the evo. I am very unpleased with Mistu's service.
Old Feb 11, 2005, 06:23 PM
Evolved Member

Is there a Service Bulletin out for this??

My dealer told me nothing is wrong too...
Old Feb 13, 2005, 12:51 AM
Evolved Member

There is no TSB out for this.
Old Feb 13, 2005, 03:17 AM

crusin lancer is ur evo lowered?
Old Feb 13, 2005, 03:27 AM
Evolved Member

hey guys check this out,this happened to me before also and ill hear the clunking once in a while.maybe a month or so it got harder to the point that its unbearable so i brought to a tire place to get it checked.both the places that i went couldnt figure out whats wrong but the speculation was a busted shocks.so i went to the dealership where i bought my evo and told them the problem so they took it in to check it out.half an hour later the service associate told me that the shocks was busted already thats why it was making the clunking sound and not dampening at all.

so now they got it fixed under warranty and replaced the busted strut with a free alignment to go with it btw the clunking sound was coming from the front driver side and what i noticed was when parked on a flat surface the driver side was a tad higher so thats a sign of broken struts also.hope this helps
Old Feb 14, 2005, 08:22 AM
Evolved Member

My evo is not lowered. It has stock suspension. The suspension has never been touched by anyone else except by a mistu tech. I keep taking mine to mitsu here and there and I keep getting there is nothing wrong. This clunking noise is getting pretty bad it seems. It almost sounds when a hard load is being put on the struts or when the load is being taking off depending which way the car is leaning.
Old Feb 18, 2005, 11:49 PM
Former Sponsor

alright, i have the clunking sound too. i just read this whole thing and am amazed that no one has even made a sound clip of this clunking. tomorrow morning i will video tape and record the clunking sound. i can easily reproduce the sound over the speed bumps in my apartment. it is quite awful too. with the windows down i thought it sounded like the spring was broken in two. additionally the lleft side doesn't feel as stiff as before, but that may be because of my paranoia. video tomorrow morning!
Old Feb 22, 2005, 08:08 AM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by KevinD
alright, i have the clunking sound too. i just read this whole thing and am amazed that no one has even made a sound clip of this clunking. tomorrow morning i will video tape and record the clunking sound. i can easily reproduce the sound over the speed bumps in my apartment. it is quite awful too. with the windows down i thought it sounded like the spring was broken in two. additionally the lleft side doesn't feel as stiff as before, but that may be because of my paranoia. video tomorrow morning!
awesome. Mine sounds exactly what you are describing it sounds like the spring is braking or it keeps poping out and then reseting itself. I think mitsu is full of **** when they tell me nothing is wrong. At first they something is seriously wrong and now they tell me nothing is wrong everything is tight and to spec. BULL****! If we can find this out through here I will take it back to mitsu and shove it in their face.
Old Feb 22, 2005, 07:48 PM
Evolved Member

Mine use to make the clunking noise when I first purchased it but in time the noise went away and have never come back. If the dealership cant find nothing wrong with it, it's probably something that just needs time to settle in.
Old Feb 22, 2005, 07:56 PM

clunking from right front

For what it's worth, mine had the clunking sound on the right front. It was pretty much only noticeable at low speed over rough pavement.
The dealer replaced the right front damper which fixed the problem for a while. But now it has come back.
I have a sneaking suspicion that they went to the Bilsteins partly to fix this problem.
Old Feb 23, 2005, 04:11 AM
Evolving Member

I think I posted earlier on this thread (or another one very similar). I SERIOUSLY DOUBT it's the strut. I replaced my stock struts with Ohlins. The ride is softer, quieter, much more comfortable AND handles much better, BUT THE CLUNK IS STILL THERE. The clunk does sound like it's at the top of the strut tower some of the time (front and rear), other times it sounds like it's lower on the car. I just chose to live with it, but I will check the end links and sway bar mounts. Doesn't seem to be affecting anything other than it's annoying, but that's what the volume button is for... NOT THE STRUTS.
Old Feb 26, 2005, 10:48 AM
Evolved Member

I have heard though if you go with an aftermarket suspension that there is no clunkin problem. It is not something that I think settles in because I have almost 12,000 '93 evo that still clunks. It sounds like the spring resets itself everytime it is releasing from a hard load.

Quick Reply: Clunking front end noise??