Notices
Evo Tires / Wheels / Brakes / Suspension Discuss everything that helps make your car start and stop to the best of it's abilities.

Best dry weather traction tire that will last 5k+ miles

Search this Thread

Old Oct 31, 2010, 02:24 PM
Evolved Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Best dry weather traction tire that will last 5k+ miles

I just got 17x9 wheels from a friend but no tires. These wheel/tire combo are only for nice summer nights for some spirted driving. I have 3 other sets of wheels with summer tires, snow tires and slicks on them. I would like to get one summer and maybe 5k miles out of them sense they wont be on the car for dd dutys.
Old Nov 1, 2010, 04:35 AM
Evolved Member

Location: somewhere testing various tires, brakes, and suspensions.
Received 10 Likes on 7 Posts
Dunlop Z1*, B'stone RE11, etc.
Old Nov 1, 2010, 05:20 AM

I've had a set of kumho ecsta xs on my car this summer, I'm expecting to get 10k+ out of them, with auto-x. The only thing as far as 'spirited' driving goes is that they need to get a little warm, i.e. WA in fall at an auto-x they don't get warm enough. During the summer when I got more heat into them they worked great.
Old Nov 1, 2010, 05:24 AM
Evolved Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by SmikeEvo
This. The Star Spec is one of the best all around tires you will find for the Evo. By all around I mean for summer/spirited driving. I went through two sets of the stock Yokos before I realized that there were very similar options for less money and would last longer. I have a set of these for the summer and highly recommend them, in the winter I switch them up to my Dunlop WinterSports.
Old Nov 1, 2010, 05:50 AM
Evolved Member

Received 17 Likes on 14 Posts
Toyo RA. Wet traction is lacking, but it's a dot approved tire that recommended for competition use.
Old Nov 1, 2010, 05:51 AM
Evolved Member

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
In your opinion....are the RE11's and/or Neova AD08's worth the extra coin over the Z1 Star Specs?
Old Nov 1, 2010, 06:48 AM
Evolved Member

Location: somewhere testing various tires, brakes, and suspensions.
Received 10 Likes on 7 Posts
Originally Posted by GG06MR
In your opinion....are the RE11's and/or Neova AD08's worth the extra coin over the Z1 Star Specs?
No. Z1*s have more working heat range, awesome grip - no reason to spend a ton more per tire.
Old Nov 1, 2010, 08:54 AM

how does everyone feel about the nt-05's.

Alot less than the others listed.
Old Nov 1, 2010, 09:02 AM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by buchnerj
This. The Star Spec is one of the best all around tires you will find for the Evo. By all around I mean for summer/spirited driving. I went through two sets of the stock Yokos before I realized that there were very similar options for less money and would last longer. I have a set of these for the summer and highly recommend them, in the winter I switch them up to my Dunlop WinterSports.
+1 I run the *specs and switch to my wintersports by late november. After buying the *specs I dont feel like i need to purchase any other brand of tire, dunlop ftw
Old Nov 1, 2010, 01:12 PM
Former Sponsor

For the price diff between the Z1's and RE-11's I'd do the Z1's. Tire has a great following in the EVO world and haven't seen a bad thing about it yet.
Old Nov 1, 2010, 02:22 PM
Evolved Member

No. Z1*s have more working heat range, awesome grip - no reason to spend a ton more per tire.
Perfect. I was hoping you'd say that. Even though they weigh 1-2 lbs. more than the others, the Star Specs seem to be the best deal on a high quality performance street tire. I'll give a set a try by February/March of next year. Thanks!
Old Nov 2, 2010, 07:23 AM
Evolved Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Star Specs are good, NT05's suck, Hankook RS-3s are the best tire I have ever used. In our track testing, we are consistently faster on the Hankook RS-3s vs Nitto NT01s! I put approx 6 full track days on the tires and they still have plenty of grip and tread left. We won the Redline Time Attack Street Class East Coast Championship on ONE set of tires. Berk Technology won the West RWD Street Class Championship on them. They are cheaper than the Star Specs and my buddy who autocrosses a completely stock 2008 Civic SI is faster on RS-3s vs the Star Specs on slightly narrower RS-3s.

Did I mention I really like Hankook RS-3s?!

Dan
Old Nov 2, 2010, 09:18 AM

so you are saying that you feel that the rs3's outperform a R comp tire
Old Nov 2, 2010, 11:29 AM

Originally Posted by rawkus
Star Specs are good, NT05's suck, Hankook RS-3s are the best tire I have ever used. In our track testing, we are consistently faster on the Hankook RS-3s vs Nitto NT01s! I put approx 6 full track days on the tires and they still have plenty of grip and tread left. We won the Redline Time Attack Street Class East Coast Championship on ONE set of tires. Berk Technology won the West RWD Street Class Championship on them. They are cheaper than the Star Specs and my buddy who autocrosses a completely stock 2008 Civic SI is faster on RS-3s vs the Star Specs on slightly narrower RS-3s.

Did I mention I really like Hankook RS-3s?!

Dan
I've heard this too. At our local auto-x, the Star Specs used to be the tire of choice but then a few guys tried out the RS-3 and were tearing up the competition. I'm running the Star Specs and love them, however, at a lower price and being that the RS-3 (in some people's opinion) a better tire, I wish I would have given them a try.
Old Nov 2, 2010, 01:37 PM
Evolved Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Originally Posted by jmk508
so you are saying that you feel that the rs3's outperform a R comp tire
I've got the GPS based track times to prove it. I won't say it is a huge gap, just a few tenths of a second, but these tires can grip as well as NT01's and seem to handle being beat to death as well as NT01's. I am very pleased.

Dan

Quick Reply: Best dry weather traction tire that will last 5k+ miles