Notices
Evo Tires / Wheels / Brakes / Suspension Discuss everything that helps make your car start and stop to the best of it's abilities.

Suspension downgrade! Ohlin Flags to MR Bilsteins/springs

Search this Thread

Old Apr 19, 2012, 03:57 PM
Evolved Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Suspension downgrade! Ohlin Flags to MR Bilsteins/springs

When I first got the Flags, 3 years ago, I used to track my car 4-5 times a year. Last year, I was only able to do a couple of events and I don’t think that I will have the time to do more than 1 or 2 this year. Since the Flags are geared for track use and with all the adjustments/bells and wrestles they have, I don’t think that I'm using them properly...... Honestly, I don’t think that I know exactly what I’m doing with all the adjustments; I feel that I’m just wasting such a good shock. Having that said, I was thinking about selling them and going a simple route with a set of springed MR shocks. Any thoughts?

Old Apr 19, 2012, 05:29 PM
EvoM Guru

Received 724 Likes on 566 Posts
I say go for it. If you spend more time on the street with the car you really cant beat the ride quality of the blisteins with gtworx springs. Plus the offset cost of the Flags might get you a few more toys.
Old Apr 19, 2012, 05:53 PM
Evolved Member

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
I would.

Even if you still track your car, Bilstein/GTWorx combo works just fine. Body roll will probably be the most glaring difference.
Old Apr 19, 2012, 08:54 PM
Evolved Member

Received 11 Likes on 10 Posts
ill trade you my bilstein/gtworx...straight up
Old Apr 19, 2012, 09:11 PM
byt
Evolving Member

Wow, I would keep the flags and get more help with the set up. Out here on the west coast a number of shops/individuals offer services to get those fancy shocks set up properly both at the track and/or on a rack.
Old Apr 19, 2012, 11:27 PM
Evolved Member

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
That's some intensely nice kit! Uhm, I am sooo jealous
Old Apr 20, 2012, 12:46 AM
Evolving Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
My Evo is riding on GTWorx/valved Bilstein's...(full review coming soon, btw). How happy are you with the ride quality of the Flags on the street? Are they too rough? Or do they ride comfortable/stiff enough for your taste? When I switched from the stock KYB's to the Bilstein/GTWorx combo, I thought the ride was...nice, for the lack of a more descriptive word...but I immediately missed the firmer valving of the KYB's to be totally honest. To be more specific - low speed valving in my opinion on the Bilstein's is considerably too soft. Over bumps that are more dips than bumps, the suspension exhibits almost a bouncy behavior, than a single firm compression like the KYB's would do. For all the folks you hear of that complained that the GSR's rode too harsh/kidney jarring, etc, the Bilstein's would be perfect for them. Is this what you're looking for? Personally, I prefer the firmer ride of the KYB's over the Bilstein's. Would I want something firmer than the KYB's? Yes, please! I'm sure the Flag's would turn up that firmness quite a few notches at the minimum. Perfect in my opinion! So..

1). Are you looking for a softer suspension? Or something that is just simpler, requiring no special setups?
2). Are you looking to sell the Flags to buy something cheaper & have money left to fund other mods? If you're trying to fund other projects now by selling off these gems, once you're done with those upgrades, is you're suspension going to be overpowered by the simple strut/spring combo? Whatever your future goals are for your car, remember that the over-all balance, or lack-of, will either make or break the feel of the car as a whole!

The reason I say all this is, as it was mentioned, if the Flags were never setup particularly for the type of driving you do, yes, they aren't in a position to bring you the level of satisfaction they're capable of - if setup properly. If finances allow, give them a chance with a proper setup - they might just show you a totally new side of themselves you never knew of! I'm sure you're very well aware of how badass the Flag's are! Just don't make any hasty decisions to launch them too quickly without weighing all options..

That's it for now...my brain's too tired to go on!
Old Apr 20, 2012, 12:49 AM
Evolved Member

how much do you want for the Ohlins?
Old Apr 20, 2012, 02:27 AM
Account Disabled

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
I'm in jersey, hit me up if your looking to trade, money on my part.
Stock mr shocks and springs with only 33k miles.
Let me know
Old Apr 20, 2012, 02:27 AM
FJF
Evolved Member

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts
Originally Posted by 18bora
Having that said, I was thinking about selling them and going a simple route with a set of springed MR shocks. Any thoughts?
If you can't get the Ohlins setup for your needs, I'd get the Bilsteins. Good luck.
Old Apr 20, 2012, 04:51 AM
Evolved Member

Location: somewhere testing various tires, brakes, and suspensions.
Received 10 Likes on 7 Posts
If you've got them. I'd hold on to them.

You're not far from GTWorx in Maryland. I'd go down there and have them setup with you in the car. Then (optional) get a set of Bilsteins/GTWorx or Swifts and store the Ohlins. You already paid for them. Great setup on track. Can swap back to summer months for track days then back to Bisltein combo for winter.
Old Apr 20, 2012, 05:12 AM
Evolved Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Well if you think about selling them I would certainly trade plus cash. I have oem kybs that have 65k with a set of Robispec springs with less than 7k miles on them.
Old Apr 20, 2012, 06:54 AM
Former Sponsor

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts
Flags really are kinda hardcore. Short travel, firm, motorsports coilover, yet as durable as as street shock. But....not really a DD on crappy roads kinda deal. We can help you set them up but you might be better off just going for a Bilstein + GTWORX set-up with a few bushings and swaybars. It's different feel but still very fast and fun. I'm sure you can find someone to trade with (+ a little cash ).

- Andrew
Old Apr 20, 2012, 02:57 PM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by WW-GSR
1). Are you looking for a softer suspension? Or something that is just simpler, requiring no special setups?
2). Are you looking to sell the Flags to buy something cheaper & have money left to fund other mods? If you're trying to fund other projects now by selling off these gems, once you're done with those upgrades, is you're suspension going to be overpowered by the simple strut/spring combo? Whatever your future goals are for your car, remember that the over-all balance, or lack-of, will either make or break the feel of the car as a whole!
I'm just looking for something simpler, set it and forget it deal..... In a way that's how I've been using the flags, just about the same settings since installed.

Originally Posted by killerpenguin21
ill trade you my bilstein/gtworx...straight up
Originally Posted by Boostfiend
how much do you want for the Ohlins?
Originally Posted by MR. EVO MR
I'm in jersey, hit me up if your looking to trade, money on my part.
Stock mr shocks and springs with only 33k miles.
Let me know
Thanks for the interest. For now, I'm just going to put my stock shocks back on until I make a final decision on the simpler setup. If anyone interested PM me a reasonable offer.
Old Apr 27, 2012, 02:44 PM
Evolved Member

Received 37 Likes on 34 Posts
i have Vishnu Spec Ohlins R/T single adjustable freshly rebuilt that i'm willing to trade plus cash. much more simple to setup. turn full soft for street and then firm it up for track. it has 475 front and 575 rear springs, very comfy for the street.

Quick Reply: Suspension downgrade! Ohlin Flags to MR Bilsteins/springs