Notices
Evo Tires / Wheels / Brakes / Suspension Discuss everything that helps make your car start and stop to the best of it's abilities.

Need help with coil-over choice

Search this Thread

Old Dec 29, 2012, 04:42 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Need help with coil-over choice

I was initially going to get the Apexi N1 coilover kit as i saw you saved the most weight going to it vs stock suspension,

however i've been reading that for street use people are liking the tein flex coils better, my budget doesn't warrant spending more than 900-1300 dollars and im wondering if tein flex is the best i'm going to get in that price range and if so does it come with a camber kit? or just the stock range?

i'm going to be leaning heavily toward wanting the most comfortable daily ride, i really just need to crush this huge wheel gap i have in the front, but am not trying to slam it.

and i don't really want springs, i don't like compressing my shock 24/7 and calling that "good"

I prefer to completely change the whole suspension so it's working as intended from the builder.

and also if you have a better coilover kit in mind around this price range let me know

i mainly just daily drive it and want a nice aggressive look and some comfort so i can pass on the minimal performance gains of the n1s if the teins are that much more comfortable

Vendors feel free to post here or contact me with any deals you have on coilovers that fit the description of what i'm looking for, and please provide a shipped and tax included price, don't give me a price and then tell me it's 100 dollars more for shipping and the tax right after i give you my credit card number like a specific vendor here.

Last edited by EvoJustin; Dec 29, 2012 at 04:55 AM.
Old Dec 29, 2012, 10:03 AM
Evolved Member

Received 14 Likes on 14 Posts
A lot of people have had good experiences with the Fortune Auto 500s. They come with camber plates in the front too. Price should be around $1200.
Old Dec 29, 2012, 10:25 AM
Evolving Member

I second fortune auto 500s.. 58mm pistons instead of 46.. and you can get it valved for street use. Win-win in my book
Old Dec 29, 2012, 03:14 PM

i'm not really looking to spend my max budget and then money on top to get them modified, I'll check them out though, any other feedback is welcome too, let me know guys..
Old Dec 29, 2012, 03:18 PM
EvoM Guru

Received 724 Likes on 566 Posts
Not gonna bother typing much but my advice, dont buy tein and do more searching.
Old Dec 29, 2012, 03:20 PM

Thanks for the well of knowledge there ^

probably going to go with the Fortune Auto comfort series, mainly because 1500 dollars + tax and shipping will be way out of my range for the 500 and 510s, and also they seem to fit my needs pretty well. and the price vs the quality just seen in the pictures doesn't seem to be contested elsewhere, thanks to the first two posters these will be the coils i buy
Old Dec 29, 2012, 03:29 PM
Evolving Member

Apexi N1's with swift spings.
Old Dec 29, 2012, 03:30 PM
Evolved Member

Received 99 Likes on 79 Posts
doesnt matter what you buy. anything sub-$2k will be pretty much the same thing

buy bilsteins and get swift spec r's
Old Dec 29, 2012, 03:55 PM

^ are you saying, buy bilstein shocks and sleeves and springs and build them?

I did that with my 3000GT VR-4 but wasn't too sure about doing that for an evo, only because the VR-4 has little aftermarket support...
Old Dec 29, 2012, 03:56 PM

Originally Posted by RJones
A lot of people have had good experiences with the Fortune Auto 500s. They come with camber plates in the front too. Price should be around $1200.

these are a good one, thanks!

Last edited by EvoJustin; Dec 29, 2012 at 03:59 PM.
Old Dec 29, 2012, 04:02 PM
EvoM Guru

Received 724 Likes on 566 Posts
Originally Posted by EvoJustin
Thanks for the well of knowledge there ^

probably going to go with the Fortune Auto comfort series, mainly because 1500 dollars + tax and shipping will be way out of my range for the 500 and 510s, and also they seem to fit my needs pretty well. and the price vs the quality just seen in the pictures doesn't seem to be contested elsewhere, thanks to the first two posters these will be the coils i buy
I know you take it as a slight on you that I can be bothered to type out more than they're ****, but blame it on each and every newb that cant be bothered to look at the literally hundred of thread on what is great, good, decent, and ****.

Its not all your fault, you're only part of the problem . One day you'll be super knowledgeable about something on a forum and get tired of answering the same question over and over, maybe then you might understand
Old Dec 29, 2012, 04:09 PM

Beginning to think there is nothing but disgruntled trolls here, sorry that I used a forum to type out a question, I did research and it's really all over the board, there are the tech nerds who never actually install them on a car but just buy them to put them on a shock dyno and just bash them, there are people who are super particular who nitpick everything, people in the middle and people who aren't too particular, just looking for some new perspective and different angles, but again, thanks for the condescending words, you fail to realize the question was not asked to you directly, so if you're tired of answering questions, don't answer them
Old Dec 29, 2012, 04:47 PM
Evolved Member

Received 99 Likes on 79 Posts
You're looking for daily driving comfort; a budget coilover will not give you that. the bilsteins and spec-r's will give you a drop and give you comfort. look at the pictures in the official lowering spring thread in show-n-shine to see what they look like. will be less than half the cost of coilovers, and about half the cost if you choose to get them revalved for the specific springs you buy
Old Dec 29, 2012, 06:40 PM
Evolved Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by EvoJustin
Beginning to think there is nothing but disgruntled trolls here, sorry that I used a forum to type out a question, I did research and it's really all over the board, there are the tech nerds who never actually install them on a car but just buy them to put them on a shock dyno and just bash them, there are people who are super particular who nitpick everything, people in the middle and people who aren't too particular, just looking for some new perspective and different angles, but again, thanks for the condescending words, you fail to realize the question was not asked to you directly, so if you're tired of answering questions, don't answer them
You're wrong.

There are people who track their cars and know what works. Those are the ones that will suggest that anything under 2k you can't really beat a set of Bilstein's and swift/gtworx springs and then are those that bought (brand X under 2k) and feel thy perform (for their needs) as well as a set of KW/AST/Ohlin's/JRZ's

Unless you are seriously tracking your car you are wasting your money buying coilovers anyways. You are not going to adjust the height (I don't know anyone who change their ride height/alignment constantly).

If you are just looking for looks and comfort and not making the car dangerous then for the money you'd be hard pressed to find abetter combo. Its not as glamourous as coilovers but its more functional.

If you truely did search then you would see a common theme. Under 2k the coilovers are mostly the same with the exception of scant few (That have about the same quality). Above that it becomes what you're needs are. All the threads pretty much follow the same pattern.

new guys ask the same questions. Old timers and people who are in the know answer (and the answers get shorter and more abrasive). And new guys either take their advice (more often then not they don't) or get offended by people with experience telling them their choices are wrong or they are wasting their cash. Additionally the people that do have the sub 2k coilovers feel the need to defend their choice........and thus the battle starts.

If you truely did search you either a) didn't get the answer you wanted or b) think somehow your angle/perspective is something new.

Its not.

Sorry for the sermon but I've been seeing a rash of threads as of late with new guys asking questions (some peculiar like the Evo 8 with a evo X front) and this community is kinda like minded so said newbie feels like this community is comprised of jerks and douchebags when really most the info is readily available and the patience for the same questions is wearing thin.

If you want coilovers buy them. Its your car, and your money and to be honest they will all feel the same for your uses (street driving). Pick your favorite color/company/smell. LOL.

They are all the same below 2k.

I've had BC's, Tein Flex's, Fortune Auto's and more recently Ohlin's.

to be honest I have a hard time NOT subscribing to getting coilovers....even though I know I will never use them to their full potential.

Which is probably why I got Ohlin's instead of JRZ's.......but I was very close to getting the JRZ's.

Good luck either way.

Last edited by SmurfZilla; Dec 29, 2012 at 06:45 PM.
Old Dec 29, 2012, 10:31 PM

Awesome for the disgruntled old guys who know what works for track who also can't read, ive specifically said I do not track this car

Thank you for telling me what I'm going to be doing with my car, by the way, guy who knows nothing about me or my car.

You "old timers in the know" would probably get a better response and get your point across better if you weren't intentionally being derogatory and condescending with your responses and your "help" also responding with what's good for track when someone says I want the most comfortable coil kit available in x price range just loses you all credibility

I will rephrase...I want opinions on the best coilovers in the 900-1300 dollar range that perform at least at the quality of stock and have the most comfortable ride for what they are - a cheap coilover kit

Would getting apexi n1s with the swift something upgrade really be the best? Or is the ride a lot more harsh than stock? Or would I like something like the fortune auto comfort series coils with swift spring upgrade? And what is the comfort series' ride like in comparison to a stock suspension's ride?

Quick Reply: Need help with coil-over choice