Notices
Evo Tires / Wheels / Brakes / Suspension Discuss everything that helps make your car start and stop to the best of it's abilities.

Stiff Brake pedal

Search this Thread

Old Mar 31, 2014, 07:12 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Stiff Brake pedal

My Evo has a very stiff brake pedal. I need to get this fixed. I don't expect air in the lines since that is usually found in mushy pedals and I have the opposite of that. Fluid is good, calipers are not sticking so I am trying to diagnose the problem

So after reading multiple threads on the topic. Here is my conclusion:

The stiff pedal is caused by lack of vacuum. It is yet to be determined if this is the booster or the line.

I took the vacuum line off that connects the booster to the intake manifold. the check valve inside is definietly working only in one direction. I ran the car with a standard vacuum line in its place and the car idled roughly and even shut down when rolling to a stop. this rules out the line but it also leaves me wondering what that means about the booster.

I don't want to blindly replace the booster mainly because I don't want to have to bleed the system at home.

Any input?

Last edited by Japsfinest; Mar 31, 2014 at 08:22 PM.
Old Apr 1, 2014, 09:01 AM
Evolved Member

Received 126 Likes on 121 Posts
Has it always been stiff or is this something that you started noticing recently? Reason I ask is because my evo has always had a stiff brake pedal. I actually prefer it how it is as I find it to be quite linear and allows me to modulate the brakes easier than some cars which I find to have very touchy brakes. A lot of this is a function of the pads, lines fluid etc but nonetheless my car has always had a stiff pedal.

So, I'm curious if there is indeed an issue or if its just something you're not used to. If there is a mechanical issue the brake booster would be my first thought which it sounds like you are already well aware of. But before you go throwing $ and time at it I'd confirm that it's not normal in the first place.
Old Apr 3, 2014, 05:56 AM

Update: I have decided to change out both the booster and the Master cylinder. This job is being completed by shop today since I don't have a pressure bleeder and don't feel like pumping the brake for several hours to bleed old school style.
Hopefully this afternoon the car will stop on a dime.
Old Apr 4, 2014, 06:43 AM

The pedal feels much better after the booster replacement