Notices
Evo Tires / Wheels / Brakes / Suspension Discuss everything that helps make your car start and stop to the best of it's abilities.

Federal 595 RS-RR review

Search this Thread

Old Oct 6, 2015, 07:46 AM
Evolving Member

Received 17 Likes on 12 Posts
Federal 595 RS-RR review

This is just a quick review and my initial thoughts on the new Federal 595 RS-RR tire.

I had been in the market for a new set of tires to run on my 2006 Mitsubishi Evolution 9. I run a set of AME TM-02 Tracer wheels in a 9.5 x 18 size with a +22 offset. These wheels run 5mm spacers up front to clear the calipers. Previous to the set of RS-RR's I been using Hankook RS-3's in a 255/35-18 size, and have used the Hankook's for the last 3 years.

THE CAR
Just for some background information my Evo 9 has been modified with a fully build motor running a 2.0 Litre long rod configuration. It used a FP Black turbo and R2 cams and makes approximately 400kw's on a Dynojet dyno. I have Whiteline swaybars installed, both front and back, and also have the Whiteline precision steering kit and role centre kit installed. Suspension is Bilstein Evo 8MR shocks, back and front, fitted with Swift springs. The car is lowered with those springs approximately 25mm at the front and 15mm at the rear. The rear guards have been rolled and the rear bumper bolts has been relocated. The front guards are untouched but the inner plastic liners have been reshaped (with a heat gun) to accommodate the Hankook RS-3's. I've had no scrubbing issues with the 255/35 Hankook tires after carrying out these modifications.

The Tires
I was unable to get the Hankook RS-3's in the needed size so was looking for a alternative. I had read good things about the Federal 595 RS-R, with the only negative comments being the lack of sidewall stiffness. This aspect of the RS-R was meant to have been dealt with in the new RS-RR.

The first issue that needs to be addressed is the sizing of these tires. I had read the Federal size their tires quite small compared to the tires actual size, and this is defiantly the case with the RS-RR. Having some prior knowledge of this sizing anomaly I purchased a set of 245/35-18 tires to replace my 255/35-18 Hankook's. I have VERY limited space under my rear guards so was quite concerned that I would have scrubbing issues with a wider tire. I can say the a 245/35-18 Federal RS-RR is actually wider than a 255/35-18 Hankook RS-3, by about 5mm inside and out (10mm overall). This sizing issue defiantly need to be address by customers purchasing the tire and probably by Federal themselves. (see comparison photo's of both the RS-3's and RS-RR fitted to my car)

Hankook RS-3 255/35-18

Federal 595 RS-RR 245/35-18

To the tires themselves and how they feel.
I should mention that my actually driving time is a bit limited on these tires and was carried out on a rather hot day (34c). Driving was done on a 8km mountain pass near my house and on approximately 80km's of mixed suburban/hwy driving.

First up the sidewall stiffness - These tires are very stiff in this regards, substantially more so than the RS-3's. I was running 40psi (cold) in my RS-3's and the RS-RR's, with 36psi, feel stiffer and harsher on the road. One consequence of this is that the tires allow for very quick changes in direction, almost being what I would describe as "darty". There is a noticeable difference in this respect compared to the RS-3's

Grip is on par with the RS-3's but I feel that the tires have a slightly more vague feeling than the Hankook RS-3's. Initial turn in is harder to judge, but when the car is set in the corner (from mid turn in to exit) feel is on par with the RS-3's. I feel that this initial turn in feel might improve with adjustments to tire pressure and may also improve with a longer break in period. The hot weather may also play a part in this. I am unable to make a judgement on wet road grip, but would imagine that these tires may be worse, compared to the RS-3, in this respect. This is based on the tires design which has fairly large areas of flat, ungrooved rubber. Having had very limited time on the tires I am unable to make a determination on wear, but with this in mind the wear rating on the sidewall is 140, which would indicate that these tires will wear out more quickly than the Hankook RS-3, which have a wear rating of 200.

One thing worth mentioning is that the RS-RR are quite noisy to drive on, making a roar similar to a 4x4 tire, but not quite as bad. This may improve with wear (but I've normally experienced the opposite of this, with tires getting louder as they wear) but these might not be the tire to choose if loud tires annoy you.

I purchased these tires from St George Tyres in Sydney for $200ea fitted. This compares quite well to the Hankook RS-3, at $255ea (the cheapest I could find but not in stock) and very well compared to the Yokohama AD08R, which retail for more than $400ea in Australia.

Conclusion
Having only owned to tires for a short time I can only give the conclusion as I see it at this point. The Federal RS-RR are on par, in most respects, to the Hankook RS-3's. There are a few negatives that can be held against both tires, the Hankook's are more expensive and are proving quite difficult to attain. The Federal's are noisier, may wear more quickly (yet to be proven either way) and may have a less positive initial turn in (this needs to be further explored). The Hankook's are slower, in regards to quick changes of direction, than the Federals, although the Federals may be a bit too darty and unstable for some.

I feel that the Federal 595 RS-RR represents good value for money as a tire that gives 95% of the performance of a Hankook RS-3 for 80% of its price.

The following users liked this post:
FenixTX717 (May 24, 2018)
Old Oct 6, 2015, 08:42 AM
Evolved Member

Received 99 Likes on 79 Posts
Good write-up
Old Oct 6, 2015, 09:37 AM
kaj
EvoM Community Team Leader

Received 813 Likes on 678 Posts
nice write up. a few points caught my eye:
* these run wider than the R-S3. my 255s were really wide (10.2" tread width) and these are even wider? wow! good to know.
* you say these have less feel than the Hankook. that is interesting as well, seeing that the R-S3 is actually known for having less feel, though they grip like crazy.
* Hankooks are a "200" UTQC but we all know they are still actually 140, so you may not notice much more wear. let us know how they do.

having used both tires, i've noticed the Federal tends to heat up and get slippery much quicker than the Hankook, especially with our heavy cars. though i admit i've never daily driven either tire; track use only.

i think the value is good, depending on what you are using them for. daily driving? definitely. autox? maybe if you wet them down between runs. time attack? meh. questionable. HPDE? definitely not.

just my experience with them, others may vary.

thanks, again, for the write up!

Old Oct 6, 2015, 09:45 AM
EvoM Staff Alumni

Received 1,384 Likes on 1,317 Posts
That tread design just hurts me eyes
Old Oct 6, 2015, 10:38 AM
EvoM Community Team

Received 26 Likes on 17 Posts
Originally Posted by MinusPrevious
Because tread aesthetics are so important!

Old Oct 6, 2015, 03:49 PM
Evolved Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
whats the price of them? And where can you get them? Thats the main reason I didnt buy a set last time I needed wheels.
Old Oct 12, 2015, 07:25 AM
Evolving Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
I've *loved* my RS-R's, so may have to give these a try. The biggest issue for me was availability, so yeah, same question, who carries them?
Old Oct 12, 2015, 08:13 AM
Evolved Member

Received 99 Likes on 94 Posts
Originally Posted by MinusPrevious
Looks like a wannabe Ventud TD
Old Oct 12, 2015, 10:09 AM
Evolved Member

Received 12 Likes on 11 Posts
I haven't found anyone in the US that has them yet... I really liked the RS-R though
Old Oct 12, 2015, 12:24 PM
Evolved Member

Received 8 Likes on 6 Posts
Oh the rs-rr?!1 Nice!! I was looking for a set last week but can't find them stateside. I ended up purchasing the regular rsr's in 285/30. Hopefully by the time this set wears out the rs-rr's will be stateside.
Old Oct 12, 2015, 12:25 PM
Evolved Member

This site is where i bought the regular rsr's from. They don't list the RS-RR yet.

http://www.onlinetires.com/products/...acing+97w.html
Old Oct 15, 2015, 07:02 AM
Evolved Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Thanks for the link. I normally buy 245/40's but it looks like the closest size they make is a 255/35
Old Oct 15, 2015, 01:31 PM
Evolving Member

Received 17 Likes on 12 Posts
Originally Posted by SmurfZilla
Thanks for the link. I normally buy 245/40's but it looks like the closest size they make is a 255/35
As mentioned, I purchased 245/35-18, which were probably similar to a 265/35-18 in the Hankook RS-3, probably more like a 260. If you normally run a 245/40 I'd look at getting a 235/35 or 235/40 (if they're available) as the Federal's seem to be at least 10 to 15mm wider than others tire brands of the same size.
Old Feb 1, 2016, 06:09 AM
Evolved Member

has anyone found a US dealer for the RSRR?
Old Feb 1, 2016, 11:30 AM
kaj
EvoM Community Team Leader

Received 813 Likes on 678 Posts
Originally Posted by Fireescape
As mentioned, I purchased 245/35-18, which were probably similar to a 265/35-18 in the Hankook RS-3, probably more like a 260. If you normally run a 245/40 I'd look at getting a 235/35 or 235/40 (if they're available) as the Federal's seem to be at least 10 to 15mm wider than others tire brands of the same size.
this is a good thing for autox people

Quick Reply: Federal 595 RS-RR review