Notices
Evo Tires / Wheels / Brakes / Suspension Discuss everything that helps make your car start and stop to the best of it's abilities.

Jacking up Evo question (Idiot Question)

Search this Thread

Old Jun 5, 2005, 03:07 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question Jacking up Evo question (Idiot Question)

Sorry if this is a dumb question, but I've been looking through all the how-to's and can't find any photos that show exactly where one should be jacking up the evo (at either front or rear, and exactly where to put the jack stands). I started jacking up the rear with a floor jack, and I tried putting the jack under the rear differential case (there seemed to be an jacking point there), but as I was jacking it up I swear I saw it move upwards relative to the rest of the car and got totally freaked out that I've bent something. There is a big piece rearwards of the differential that looks pretty strong (although there's two bolts that stick out and would mean that putting the jack there would put the force on the bolts, plus it's too high for my 2-ton floor jack to reach.)

Also, does one put the jackstands lengthwise along one side or the other of the thin rail that the factory jack goes around? Or somewhere else?

I've jacked up other cars before to change pads and stuff, but they've been junky old cars, and I'm being a little more **** about a $30K car...

Any help would be greatly appreciated!
Old Jun 5, 2005, 03:47 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by soapsuds
....I've been looking through all the how-to's and can't find any photos that show exactly where one should be jacking up the evo...
Do a search for "jackpoint".
Old Jun 5, 2005, 03:52 PM
Evolved Member

I always use jack and stands on the metal under the sides, there are notches there to show the correct point of contact. I've seen other people put stands at other areas but I feel safest placing the stands at the sugested manufactures point. I wish I had a lift!
Old Jun 5, 2005, 06:56 PM

thanks for the search tip, lowkey--for some reason none of my searches had panned out. i'm still not thrilled with the various options. it turns out my floor jack doesn't have enough range to get the back of the car high enough to get jack stands under there with the wheels off the ground, and adding plywood underneath just made the handle get too close to the underbody. on my second try, i jacked from this hefty looking bar just aft of the differential, and i didn't see any movement, but i couldn't get high enough. i ended up just using the factory scissor jack on the sides and jamming the jackstand next to it under the lower control arm mounting. i'll try to get a bigger floor jack before i do the front brakes.
Old Jun 5, 2005, 07:13 PM
Evolved Member

if you pick up the front side won't your back come off the ground too? Maybe a stock suspension doesn't work that way.
Old Jun 5, 2005, 09:45 PM

The rear is the diff, front is under the middle access cover. Jackstands go under the side jackpoints found in the owners instruction manual. They recommended you put something over the jackstands to protect the metal. I'm using hockey pucks with grooves cut into it.

This thread has a diagram with the jack points.

https://www.evolutionm.net/forums/sh...d.php?t=139516
Old Jun 6, 2005, 07:03 PM

Thanks for the diagram. I'll probably do it that way the next time I change my pads so as to avoid using that scissor jack again, if I can find some way to get the car about two inches higher with my floor jack; maybe either doing it in stages with jackstands or driving the car up onto 2x4s or something. But the important thing, is 237 mosquito bites later, the old pads are back in and in my test run I heard no brake squeal at long last with those Hawks now back in a box for the next track day...

I never realized how much I took silent brakes for granted before; after a couple weeks of continuous screeching every time I stopped I was about to kill myself (it wasn't too bad when I had them installed right before doing a track day, but I'm guessing the high temps boiled off whatever gunk was providing minimal anti-squeal).

My other task is to come up with a better way of getting those pins back in the front calipers. Mmm... brake dust.