Notices
Evo Tires / Wheels / Brakes / Suspension Discuss everything that helps make your car start and stop to the best of it's abilities.

Unscheduled rotor replacement....

Search this Thread

Old Nov 22, 2005, 03:41 PM
Evolved Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Unhappy Unscheduled rotor replacement....

I had a perfect plan. See, once I'm through with this set of pads (Mu, Max900) my rotors should be pretty much dead. I had originally planned to, at that stage, get a brake kit (Stasis most likely).

So anyway, I had a wheel off yesterday and thought it would be interesting to find out how thick my rotors are.

With vernier calipers and standard *****, they're only 28.xxmm thick!! I think the minimum is 29.8mm or something. I'm going to measure it with a micrometer today, just in case.

The obvious thing to do would be to get new rotors, but I just changed my pads about 1.5k miles ago.

So, my questions are:

- Anyone has any experience with SCR-Pro rotors for your front? How do they compare against Girodiscs? I can get the mu's cheaper than the Girodiscs and they're both 2-piece.

- Will it be okay to run old pads (about 1500miles) on new rotors? I keep hearing pepople say that it's not a good thing to do, but these aren't like really old pads, just used a little. Will that be okay?

- How thin can I really go? I mean, I can just keep the rotors and the pads till they are both dead and then get the brake kit as I originally planned. Anyone with experience on this?

p.s. I was rather foolish of me not to have measured the rotors when i changed the pads. But my car's only done just over 10k miles.... anyway, looks like these project mu's are extremely abrasive. But jolly good though.
Old Nov 23, 2005, 06:23 AM

Never run old pads and new rotors! The old pads have a set pattern and will try to carve that pattern into the new rotors!!!!
How thin should be marked on the rotors. It is a good idea to check the rotors at least once a year. More often if you are racing.
If the pads have worn down the rotors that much in just 1500 miles - WOW - you could keep what you have but just check it every 1000 or so........ (I wouldn't but you could and you'd probably be fine)
Old Nov 23, 2005, 06:51 AM
Evolved Member

Well, you see, the stock pads wore out at only 3x00miles. So I changed to a set of Titan Kai's. That set last me an incredible 5x00 miles. That's if i remember correctly. After that set, I changed to my current set. Anyway, the wear is from more than one set. And I seem to remember the stock pads lasting no time at all....

From what you said about the pad, dang... I think I will have to keep these on for a while longer...
Old Nov 23, 2005, 07:09 AM
Evolved Member

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts
Dang, Do you stand on your brakes every chance you get? :P
I am near 35K miles and still on stock pads/rotors.
Old Nov 23, 2005, 07:21 AM
Evolved Member

No, mate. I live in probably the only country in the world where people actaully BELIEVE that drving over 50mph is fast. Most go around at about 30. Trust me, they really do.

I can be empty for miles and there will be cars lined up all across the road all doing the same speed. Amazing.

Last edited by x838nwy; Nov 23, 2005 at 07:23 AM.
Old Nov 23, 2005, 12:27 PM
Evolved Member

am I reading this right? You get between 3000 and 5000 miles per set of pads???? Something's not right there. Either the pad should wear or the rotor should wear, but to have a rotor below minimum tolerance in just over 10,000 miles and be on your 3rd set of pads??? jeeeez, how do you keep the brake dust off your wheels?
Old Nov 23, 2005, 01:52 PM

Originally Posted by stpracer
Never run old pads and new rotors! The old pads have a set pattern and will try to carve that pattern into the new rotors!!!!
How thin should be marked on the rotors. It is a good idea to check the rotors at least once a year. More often if you are racing.
If the pads have worn down the rotors that much in just 1500 miles - WOW - you could keep what you have but just check it every 1000 or so........ (I wouldn't but you could and you'd probably be fine)
I would say the pads would be more likely to adjust to the new rotors than vice versa. Seems to be logical given the composition of a pad vs a rotor. But I may be wrong. Ideally you would replace everything but realistically is another story.
Old Nov 23, 2005, 03:44 PM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by dubbleugly01
am I reading this right? You get between 3000 and 5000 miles per set of pads???? Something's not right there. Either the pad should wear or the rotor should wear, but to have a rotor below minimum tolerance in just over 10,000 miles and be on your 3rd set of pads??? jeeeez, how do you keep the brake dust off your wheels?
I wash my car very often, and yes there's heaps of brake dust. These pads (don't think you can get in the US) do stop extremely well though, blow the DS2500 out of hte water and for some strange reason stop very hard even from cold. I think the down side to that is that theywear like crazy and eat the rotor. Also, lately I have only been driving the car over short runs (like 10-20miles) andin traffic. Perhaps that has something to do with how the pad/rotor wear.... dunno...
Old Nov 29, 2005, 05:38 PM
Evolved Member

Had my wheels off last night had a micromenter to hand.

It seems that the previous measurements (using standard *****/rods and vernier) were off. The acutal thickness is about 30.x

Turns out the standard rods were not the size they were meant to be, so a-hole put the wrong ones in the drawer....

Well, sorry for the false alarm. At least I won't have to change the rotors yet.
Old Nov 29, 2005, 10:21 PM
Evolving Member

Wow that's horrible mileage for the pads and rotors.

I'm on the stock pads and rotors and have right around 25k on them.