Notices
Evo Tires / Wheels / Brakes / Suspension Discuss everything that helps make your car start and stop to the best of it's abilities.

Coilovers - Spring Rate Question

Search this Thread

Old May 31, 2006, 11:33 AM
Evolving Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question Coilovers - Spring Rate Question

Currently I have the TEIN Flex setup. I believe the factory spring rates on these coilovers are 9k on the front and 8k on the rear. At times, I am pretty happy with the drivability of these, but I know when I switch to a lower profile tire, the ride will get more harsh.

So my question is can I get different springs for these coilovers (from TEIN of course)? And if so, if I drop the spring rates down to 7k on the front and 6k on the rear, will that help soften the ride up a bit?

Recently I rode in a friends car that has the HKS Hipermax IIs. His springs rates are 7k/6k and his car definitely rides better on the street on 18's than my car does on 17s.

Any constructive input is much appreciated.

Thanks,
Nathan

p.s. I dont do any track events yet, but I may start on some small, slow type tracks like Little Talledega (later this year).
Old May 31, 2006, 12:57 PM
Evolved Member

I have the flex, and depending on when you bought yours, they will be what you listed, or 10k front and 10k rear.

As for ride, the softer the spring, the smoother (buttery) the ride. If you plan on doing light track days, on street tires, then you may want to go down on your spring rate. You can go down -2k and still be properly valved for the suspension. Lower than that, and you will become over dampened, resulting in a horrid ride, due to lack of balance between spring and shock.

Having run the flexs for over a year now, I would recommend upgrading your rear sway, if you plan on any track days, good and cheap mod. Gives the car nice rotation. In my sig, you can see my mods, and for results. If you want to see the car in action, you can go to www.opentrackers.com, and click on any of the Evo links. The black Evo is mine. BTW, you can also see the fastest lap run at TGPR, by JonK in the AMS Evo. 1:06, with a 'junk' motor (400whp).

If you have any other questions, feel free to drop me a PM.
Old May 31, 2006, 01:09 PM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by Stop&TurnFreak
I have the flex, and depending on when you bought yours, they will be what you listed, or 10k front and 10k rear.

As for ride, the softer the spring, the smoother (buttery) the ride. If you plan on doing light track days, on street tires, then you may want to go down on your spring rate. You can go down -2k and still be properly valved for the suspension. Lower than that, and you will become over dampened, resulting in a horrid ride, due to lack of balance between spring and shock.

Having run the flexs for over a year now, I would recommend upgrading your rear sway, if you plan on any track days, good and cheap mod. Gives the car nice rotation. In my sig, you can see my mods, and for results. If you want to see the car in action, you can go to www.opentrackers.com, and click on any of the Evo links. The black Evo is mine. BTW, you can also see the fastest lap run at TGPR, by JonK in the AMS Evo. 1:06, with a 'junk' motor (400whp).

If you have any other questions, feel free to drop me a PM.
Well I was wondering if I was wrong on the spring rates or not. Because when I checked Tein's site it listed the front and rears at 12k on the front and 10k on the rear. Now, my car is an 03 model and I bought it used with the Flex's on there. The original buyer purchased the Flex's shortly after he bought the car.

So, with that mind I could call Tein and ask them to send me some springs for the coilovers with rates of 10k and 8k? That way my valving is not out of whack. I guess that will help make the ride a bit more smooth. Or should I call Tein first and verify if my rates are 12/10k or 10k/10k. If they are 10k/10k then what would you recommend dropping them down to to give an overall better ride, but still offer decent for the occasional short track event?

Also, I will take your advice on the rear sway bar, thanks for the tip.

Thanks again for your advice. I really appreciate it.
Nathan
Old May 31, 2006, 02:20 PM
Evolved Member

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts
keep in mind your damping should match hte spring rate.
Old Jun 1, 2006, 01:02 PM
Evolving Member

Well,

I just got off the phone with Tein. They said that the Flex's version that I have has 12k and 10k spring rate respectively.

They also stated that I can drop the fronts down to 10k and the rears to 8k without affecting the valving of the shock.

What do you guys think about that? I was thinking about ordering the replacement springs ($100 per set), and put 10k on the front an 8k on the rear.

Will dropping both the front and rear down 2k help smooth out the ride enough that I can notice? Or will the difference be negligible?

Thanks,
Nathan
Old Jun 1, 2006, 02:46 PM
Evolved Member

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
I am interested in hearing if you bottom out the suspension with the softer springs.
Old Jun 1, 2006, 03:47 PM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by Jeff_Jeske
I am interested in hearing if you bottom out the suspension with the softer springs.
Well that is an interesting comment. Why? Do you think that will happen?

From what I have been reading about coilover systems, it seems consistent that you can adjust the rates +/- 2k without hurting the valving on most setups, excluding the top notch fancy stuff like Ohlins.

Anybody else have any comments or experiences.

Thanks,
Nathan
Old Jun 1, 2006, 04:21 PM
Evolved Member

You will notice the ride being softer. 2kg/mm or about 100lb/in is a relatively large change. Those Flex's are also dual height adjustable, meaning you can retain the proper spring preload and shock travel while readjusting the ride height. So bottoming out should not be a problem. b/c of the softer spring rates at the same settings (height) the car will be lower than the stiff springs.

Personally I think it's a bit soft and your own opinion may change once you start doing track events or autox. Just ask Stop&Turn Freak where he's at for spring rates now on his Flex's...

Also be aware that the particular tire (Advan A046, Kumho MX, Falken Azenis, etc...) and tire pressure will also have an effect on how the car rides.
Old Jun 1, 2006, 06:34 PM
Evolved Member

I am wondering about the effects of more spring rate in the front vs. rear. Does this negate the understeer?

Why do guys like chronohunter use softer rates in the front?
Old Jun 1, 2006, 07:12 PM
Evolved Member

Evo----I will be happy to send you my 10K for your 12K. Where are you located? Wait, your in TN, you want to meet somewhere? I would love to get another set of 12K springs for certian tracks in this area.

As for bottoming out, you won't, I haven't in over a year, running 10K all the way around.
Old Jun 1, 2006, 08:23 PM
Evolved Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
That is good to know.....on my previous track car I had ground control coilovers and I felt its was too stiff so I dropped to then next lower spring rate.... with moderate lowering, on rough roads, I would hit the bump stops .....the more you lowered the coil overs the less travel you had and there wasn't all that much to begin with. On a nice smooth track they were fine but in town when crossing rail road tracks I could easily push them too hard.
Old Jun 2, 2006, 06:29 AM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by chmodlf
I am wondering about the effects of more spring rate in the front vs. rear. Does this negate the understeer?

Why do guys like chronohunter use softer rates in the front?
Proper balance in this car seems to come with a 100 lb/in spring rate differential with the front being softer. I have noticed this myself with a couple different spring rate setups I have used as well as some other fast autoxer's.
Old Jun 2, 2006, 08:42 AM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by Stop&TurnFreak
Evo----I will be happy to send you my 10K for your 12K. Where are you located? Wait, your in TN, you want to meet somewhere? I would love to get another set of 12K springs for certian tracks in this area.

As for bottoming out, you won't, I haven't in over a year, running 10K all the way around.
Where are you located? I am in Nashville.

Also, what are you current spring rates?

I would be okay with giving you my front 12ks for your front 10ks.

I just need to order up the 8ks first (if I am going to go this route).

Thanks,
Nathan
Old Jun 2, 2006, 07:39 PM
Evolved Member

I am in Charlotte, NC. I travel a ton though, so I can work something out.
Old Jun 5, 2006, 05:25 AM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by kekek
Proper balance in this car seems to come with a 100 lb/in spring rate differential with the front being softer. I have noticed this myself with a couple different spring rate setups I have used as well as some other fast autoxer's.

Interesting. The current Flex's come with 9kg front and 7kg rear. Given our craptacular roads in the NE...for a car that sees autocross only for most of its life, but still has to pass the "wife" test - I wonder if 8 Front 9 rear would be too much..perhaps 7F 8R instead...

Quick Reply: Coilovers - Spring Rate Question