Notices
Evo Tires / Wheels / Brakes / Suspension Discuss everything that helps make your car start and stop to the best of it's abilities.

Lost Rays wheel lock key + flat tire= tow and ?????

Search this Thread

Old Sep 12, 2006, 04:32 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question Lost Rays wheel lock key + flat tire= tow and ?????

Scholars,

I ran a search and came up empty...

Here's my dilemma: I have Rays racing lug nuts (the ones that fit over ext. studs) and have lost the wheel lock key . After the pride swallowing realization of this fact and a quick tow to my house, I still have one flat tire presumably "stuck" on the car.

Question 1:

Is there any vendor that can overnight me a RAYS racing wheel lock key (preferably separate from another set of lugs)?

The wheel lock looks like any other lug nut except for on one "face" there is a ridge about 1 mm wide preventing a regular 21 mm socket to fit onto it. The wheel lock key looks like any other 21 mm socket except for a perfect groove in one of the faces to match the wheel lock...

Question 2:

Assuming quick delivery of a new key is out of the question, is it possible to remove the wheel lock without damage? I have heard of a few methods that I have yet to try in fear of damaging the wheel or the wheel lock. One suggests using a deep faced 20 mm 12 pt. socket and "tapping" it onto the wheel lock enabling just enough torque to break tension. Another suggestion involves a pipe wrench, a cooler full of beer, 2 strippers, and Tylenol.

What would you suggest?

Thanks ahead of time.

Seth
Old Sep 13, 2006, 12:50 PM

I dont' think the locks are standardized, right?? You'd have to get a specific key for the specific set of locks you have which should be indicated by a serial number somewhere. And usually, if you ahve the serial number,thenyou can just order that key lock through Rays.
Old Sep 13, 2006, 12:56 PM
Evolved Member

If you can get to the ridge with a file or a grinder without damaging the wheel you could try to take it off. Trying to jam a socket onto it could also work. It would likely damage both the lug nut and the socket, but it would help with your dilemma.

-Paul
Old Sep 13, 2006, 01:26 PM
Evolved Member

call around to a couple local tire shops. they might be able to get the locking lug off for you if you cannot get the key quickly.
Old Sep 13, 2006, 01:45 PM

Thanks for the responses guys. I picked up 12 pt. socket set today that includes 19 and 20 mm. I should be able to tap one or the other on and apply enough torque to break tension without causing too much damage.

I'll update the thread when I am finished.

Thanks again.

Seth